What's new

Any comments on Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic for Newbie?

Just tried this razor I found yesterday and yeowch! A wee bit aggressive and to make matters worse my lather with the Dr. Dittmar was crap. I think. Otherwise this was one razor that had more bite than I anticipated. Dumb. :blush:Why I thought it was like the Ej 89 I don't know. Like the heft and feel if the razor as well as the two piece construction for ease of blade exchange. Reminds me a little of the Rocket HD but that's too early to tell after one use. Sure feels like it. But I liked that razor because I knew what I was getting into. Oh well. A rest and tomorrow is another day.

Hi. I posted this thread discussing my newbie experience with the 34C which seems exactly opposite yours: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...erkur-34C-HD-but-is-it-not-aggressive-enough?

TL;DR: I love the 34C. It's all about technique.

Great razor, should work well for anyone. I prefer the chrome model but to each their own. It will work with a variety of blades but be patient with it and always check your blade alignment after tightening down the cap.

I may be able to explain why different people are getting different results with their Merkur razors.

My first DE razor was a Merkur 34C HD. The first 30-40 days were not pleasant to put it politely.

My results were so bad that I purchased a Muhle R89. I am now getting great results and have conducted several blade tests using this razor.

One day I thought that my technique had improved that I could now shave with the 34C so I loaded up a blade and went to work. However, I got another miserable shave. This time I started doing visual checks on this razor and found that most of the time the blade would not align properly in the razor. The blade exposure would be more on one side than the other. In this condition, the user gets confusing results as well as an unpleasant shave with cuts, nicks and irritation. The supplier that sold me the 34C in the first place has since replaced the 34C and this razor is quite good and I believe that with certain blades will likely shave better than the Muhle R89.

I would recommend that if you are going to purchase any new razor that you first do your own thorough visual inspection to be certain the plating is uniform and complete. A Zamak head with holes in the plating is not going to last. I would also load up a blade and visually inspect the blade position in the razor. If there is a problem here, you can return the razor before you use it. Once you use the razor, then probably the best the supplier can do is exchange the razor for the same make and model.

You can search for "Merkur Quality" and find other posts with respect to Merkur's poor quality control issues. In other words, I am not the only one that has had a Merkur problem.

I like the design of Mekur heads and I believe they can give stellar shaves. Just protect yourself from the possibility of a defective razor.

If you have the money, the Weber PH is a really sweet stainless steel razor with a head design that is close to the Merkur.

I would perform these checks regardless of who made the razor.

My 2 cents.

My first razor. I highly recommend it but to be honest I rarely use it anymore. I prefer my progress or vintage. I like sharp blades and mild settings because I like to spend less than five minutes shaving.

Its my first (and only razor) that I use since I started old school shaving in 2011. I shave with this thing 2 times a week and it still looks new! I feel for Gberry for having a defective razor but in my case, I had no experience in wetshaving before I got this razor and I learned quite quickly on how to use it well, just figure out the blade angle and you pretty much master it. I am very fortunate my Merkur had no defects.

Big fan of the 34C. I like Astra SP and Israeli Crystal blades. Wilkinson swords are ok as well. Merkur blades are terrible IMHO. I'm a big fan of GFT coconut cream and QCS soaps.

Really? Wow! Just had my first shave today using a 34C with a Merkur blade. Looking forward to others, but I have to say I thought it was pretty fine. Having said that I have nothing to compare it with. Happy returns.
Cheers,
Mark in the dark

My first DE razor was a Merkur 34c and its still my reigning champion. I also have a Edwin Jagger 89lbl that I absolutely love, but the 34c is my first go to. so to answer your question, its a fantastic razor for any new/veteran traditional shaver

And the Merkur 34C love triumphs, even on a two-and-a-half year old thread! :lol:
I started with one, and it's still in my rotation, an excellent razor!

same experience with Merkur blades here. One came with the razor and it was soo bad that i only got half way through the first shave before tossing it and trying an Astra from a sampler pack i had ordered. What a world of difference. Astras are still one of my favorites.

I started learning with a Merkur 34C and it's given me no trouble at all. I now have a Weber PH with bulldog handle as well, which I've also been liking, though I've had to be even more careful with the pressure on that one since it's so hefty. But the Merkur is already like a familiar friend.

Sorry to hear about quality control issues with these (assuming that's really an issue). Mine's good. I was also thinking of trying an EJ DE89, but I saw a number of reports of the head breaking after a year (or less) due to stress where the handle threads in. Eek.

Top Bottom