What's new

Any Backpackers?

I am just about ready to get back on the trail. Mandatory overtime recently has made that harder. I also latched on to the ultralight mode pretty early. My gear (major items, warm weather):

Golite Pack
North Face Flight Sleeping Bag
Alcohol Stove (Robinson cat stove, home-made)
Thermarest 1" self-inflating pad
Sil-nylon tarp
Eureka Gossamer solo tent with fly cut off

My pack is just at 10 pounds without food or water. I also use Black Diamond hiking poles to save my knees on descents, and to add stability on water crossings.

This thread reminds me of how important it is to get back out there. Most of my backpacking has been on the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina and Virginia. I hike in New Balance trail running shoes with Thorlo socks.

The only electronic gear I like to bring into the woods is a headlamp. My wife is trying to convince me to bring a cell phone, as well, but my thought is that 99% of the time, I'm too far away from a cell phone tower to justify the safety increase. One of the things I like most about backpacking is getting 100% away from "civilization." This includes cell phones, radios, ipods, etc. I don't even like to bring a GPS -- map and compass have always worked just fine for me. This is very personal to me, though. I have no problem with others bringing electronics for their own use (as long as I can't hear it).

I can dig where you're coming from. I am the same way 90% of the time. But when you're deep in the Quachitas and the weather said Cold but Clear but its actually blowing snow like the clappers in Tulsa and heading down on you like a powdery freight train--this is good information to have.

I can dig where you're coming from. I am the same way 90% of the time. But when you're deep in the Quachitas and the weather said Cold but Clear but its actually blowing snow like the clappers in Tulsa and heading down on you like a powdery freight train--this is good information to have.

Very true, my friend. I have zero problem with someone else bringing in whatever gear they want/need to make them feel (or actually be) safer, more comfortable, etc. Gear choice is much like wet shaving: YMMV.

This thread really makes me want to go plan my next trip (and go to REI to buy more gear)!

I haven't gone in years, but my Boy Scout troop was and is very much into backpacking. I've been through most of the local mountains around LA and into the high Sierras a few times. It would be great to go again - I've spent far too much time in an office tower the past few years.

I am just about ready to get back on the trail. Mandatory overtime recently has made that harder. I also latched on to the ultralight mode pretty early. My gear (major items, warm weather):

Golite Pack
North Face Flight Sleeping Bag
Alcohol Stove (Robinson cat stove, home-made)
Thermarest 1" self-inflating pad
Sil-nylon tarp
Eureka Gossamer solo tent with fly cut off

My pack is just at 10 pounds without food or water. I also use Black Diamond hiking poles to save my knees on descents, and to add stability on water crossings.

This thread reminds me of how important it is to get back out there. Most of my backpacking has been on the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina and Virginia. I hike in New Balance trail running shoes with Thorlo socks.

Treking poles are amazing. I thought they looked silly, and a very smart salesman said "Just trust me.... Get them!" I had no choice. lol (He was a hippie from Arcata who really knew his stuff).

They are soooooo amazing for water crossing. In fact, my 9 year old wants a pair.

Treking poles are amazing. I thought they looked silly, and a very smart salesman said "Just trust me.... Get them!" I had no choice. lol (He was a hippie from Arcata who really knew his stuff).

They are soooooo amazing for water crossing. In fact, my 9 year old wants a pair.

Ha, I thought the same thing! I'd always see people on the trails with them and thought they were sissies. A friend got some and let me try them. Man are they amazing. Esp for navigating down steep rocky trails.

My knees have been so much happier since I started using poles. Yeah, they look rediculous, but who cares? I especially like them on hills (both up and down).

I was surprised to see that the hardcore French mountain guides, that grew up and lived in the mountains their entire lives, use trekking poles as well. I've been telling myself to get a pair for about 5 years now. Heading to REI soon so who know ... maybe this time I'll actually buy a pair :)

I was surprised to see that the hardcore French mountain guides, that grew up and lived in the mountains their entire lives, use trekking poles as well. I've been telling myself to get a pair for about 5 years now. Heading to REI soon so who know ... maybe this time I'll actually buy a pair :)

I see that you're in Palo Alto. Have you hiked the Skyline to the Sea trail? It's very close to you. The trail starts near Castle Rock State Park and ends, predictably, at the Pacific. I backpacked it several years ago -- it's a really fun trail. It's mostly down hill, so it is a killer on the knees. Boy was I glad that I had hiking poles on that trail!

I see that you're in Palo Alto. Have you hiked the Skyline to the Sea trail? It's very close to you. The trail starts near Castle Rock State Park and ends, predictably, at the Pacific. I backpacked it several years ago -- it's a really fun trail. It's mostly down hill, so it is a killer on the knees. Boy was I glad that I had hiking poles on that trail!

Not yet but we have been talking about it. If I got it right it's a 2-3 day hike and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that carrying a 20 lbs baby. She won't get any lighter though so maybe it's better to go as soon as possible.

I got the REI Ultra light hiking poles today so now I'm almost ready :thumbup1:

I haven't made the transition yet to ultralight. What do you do you do about a bag, tent, pad, cooking gear? How do you get your entire pack for a 6 day hike under 15 pounds? Or do you?

Not yet but we have been talking about it. If I got it right it's a 2-3 day hike and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that carrying a 20 lbs baby. She won't get any lighter though so maybe it's better to go as soon as possible.

I got the REI Ultra light hiking poles today so now I'm almost ready :thumbup1:

I did it as a three day trip. If I recall correctly, it's a little over 30 miles. The only thing I didn't like about the trail is that the last 10 miles can get a little crowed with day hikers. Since you have a baby with you, you'll probably like that it's not ultra-isolated. You'll have the opportunity to throw away diapers, etc, in Big Basin state park -- they have trash bins.

I did it as a three day trip. If I recall correctly, it's a little over 30 miles. The only thing I didn't like about the trail is that the last 10 miles can get a little crowed with day hikers. Since you have a baby with you, you'll probably like that it's not ultra-isolated. You'll have the opportunity to throw away diapers, etc, in Big Basin state park -- they have trash bins.

Sounds like I'd better start planning that trip then. I'll probably wait a few months to let it cool down a bit though :001_smile

The only electronic gear I like to bring into the woods is a headlamp. My wife is trying to convince me to bring a cell phone, as well, but my thought is that 99% of the time, I'm too far away from a cell phone tower to justify the safety increase. One of the things I like most about backpacking is getting 100% away from "civilization." This includes cell phones, radios, ipods, etc. I don't even like to bring a GPS -- map and compass have always worked just fine for me. This is very personal to me, though. I have no problem with others bringing electronics for their own use (as long as I can't hear it).

Ditto. Although me and another girl in my group did manage to get lost in the mist trying to leave the campground yesterday morning and ended up walking in a circle and returning to same group of people we left 10 minutes earlier :blush::001_rolle

As for the backpacking... Well... I live in Vancouver BC. Within 1 hour's drive I can count at least 10 different weekend hikes/scrambles to places where no wheeled vehicle can get, and where the nature is as pristine as it gets. Add 1-4 hours to the driving range and the number goes up to the high hundreds. I try to go out every weekend through the summer, though now with school starting, and work remaining full time as it is (e.g. 2 days of school and 5 days of work), I'm going to have a harder time booking myself some off-time from civilization.

I usually carry 15 +-2 kg, though I could easily go down into the 8kg range including tent, sleeping bag/pad, clothes, gear and food for a 3-4 day trip. The only problem there is that once winter kicks in, I'll have to start carrying more gear, and I'd rather not get too comfortable with the light-weight packs over the summer, then have a hard time in winter (or worse, pack too light and get caught up in conditions I'm not ready for).
My current goal is to reach the point where I can carry up to 25kg with ease before I start heading in the ultra-light direction, though that's more of a work-out goal than a real mountaineering necessity. 15kg should be fine for pretty much any trip shorter than a week, regardless of the climate.

Here are some pics from this long weekend's trip to Wedgemont Lake and the scramble up to Weart* peak (about half an hour north of Whistler, on the very edge of Geribaldi Park):
http://picasaweb.google.com/mcclouded/ShuviSPicsFromMountaineeringCamp#
http://picasaweb.google.com/mcclouded/NissanSPicsFromMountaineeringCamp#

(I'm the one with the dorky gray hat who's trying to do a t-rex in one of the pictures)

* We stopped taking pictures when the clouds got so thick that we could barely see our own feet.

Here are some pics from this long weekend's trip to Wedgemont Lake and the scramble up to Weart* peak (about half an hour north of Whistler, on the very edge of Geribaldi Park):
http://picasaweb.google.com/mcclouded/ShuviSPicsFromMountaineeringCamp#
http://picasaweb.google.com/mcclouded/NissanSPicsFromMountaineeringCamp#

(I'm the one with the dorky gray hat who's trying to do a t-rex in one of the pictures)

* We stopped taking pictures when the clouds got so thick that we could barely see our own feet.

Looks like a fun trip. I love the photos of the glacial ice!

I backpacked around teh eastern half of australia for 4 months and all of new zealand for about 5 months. it was fantastic!

I just did a smaller trip around the pacific northwest this past week.

Top Bottom