What's new

Any Backpackers?

I just got back from my third backpacking trip of the season. It was a 6 mile one way trip with my 8 year old to the Trinity Alps. What a great time. He was the youngest kid there, and the lake was still full of ice.

I've continually got lighter and lighter, which makes the trips so much better. No more 50+ pound packs. I had about 15 pounds on my back, and my son had about 7 or 8.

Next week we'll be hiking flat land and spending 2 nights in the Redwoods.

So any backpackers here?

I just got back from my third backpacking trip of the season. It was a 6 mile one way trip with my 8 year old to the Trinity Alps. What a great time. He was the youngest kid there, and the lake was still full of ice.

I've continually got lighter and lighter, which makes the trips so much better. No more 50+ pound packs. I had about 15 pounds on my back, and my son had about 7 or 8.

Next week we'll be hiking flat land and spending 2 nights in the Redwoods.

So any backpackers here?

Hey Goby
yes...I used to backpack a lot...not much time these days. Did a lot in Europe and South America. I once back packed Machu Picchu (the Inca Trail in Peru) with 103ºF fever...I think it was poisoning of sorts...couldn't hold much in terms of solid food for 2 days...Fruit juices were a God send and the only thing that kept me going. It's not fun doing this with 65+ lbs on your back and very little energy.

I would have liked to squeeze a New Zealand trip at some point too, but alas wife is not much into backpacking :tongue_sm.

It's always fun. Share some pictures and it is good that you are involving your kids early on...less TV/media and more activities outdoors are a good recipe for a healthy lifestyle.

Cheers,
Robert

I've done some as well. Still like to once a year or so in the west mountains of Alberta. Some of my memorable trips...

Chilkoot Trail, Alaska/Yukon - 2X
Close to 60km if you hike the train tracks to the highway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilkoot

Cottonwood Trail
http://travelyukon.com/aboutyukonte...cape/yukonwildernessparks/kluanenationalpark/

Slims River to the Kaskawulsh Glacier.
http://www.clubtread.com/routes/Route.aspx?Route=592

Mount Assiniboine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Assiniboine

Yes one more overhere. Did the GR5 (northsee to Mediterranean), the West-Highlandway (Scotland), and a lot of hikes in the Vosges, Alps, Jura, Austria Kroatia, Czech- and Slovak republic, around Juneau (Alaska) and lake Baikal(Russia). Around home as well. My eldest is 8 years old now and I hope to start following a few trails with him real soon.

I too hike, though not nearly as much as I used to or would like to.

The pack weight dropped as a I got older, except for sleeping pad weight. Its an age thing. :biggrin1:

My base weight hovers around 6 - 7 pounds on most weekend trips, around 12 with food and water. I've got a closet full of gear, but don't seem to find the time these days. Just priorities I guess.

I used to spend days backpacking in the area shown below when I was a teenager, moving from place to place with a little El Cheapo pup tent. Now that I've moved back to the area where I grew up, I'm looking forward to doing a few overnighters again, looking for the 2 lb brook trout I used to catch. I haven't been to this area since probably '76.

Unfortunately, ATVs (we call them "Bog Bikes") have given easy access to this area where most were too lazy to walk when I was growing up. Back then it was pristine wilderness and the only trace you could see of previous human presence was the fire pits we used to use. We even used to pick up our shot gun shells in the fall when we were partridge hunting. I highly doubt it looks that way now.:thumbdown

The picture below covers an area I'd guess is ~ 40 sq KMs. If you look right in the center of the screen shot, you'll see an irregularly shaped island in a pond. We built a cabin on that island Labour Day weekend of '72, and the place we used to hide the canoe was ~ 2-1/2 hours hike from the closest you could get with a 4-wheeled vehicle.

I like backpacking. I'm planning on making a couple of short one or two day trips in north Mississippi this fall.

About 2 months ago I went on my first backpacking trip in over 30 years : 6 days on the Appalachian Trail, from the Penn/Maryland border south to Snicker's Gap VA - 60 miles of trail and we bagged 2 states of the AT as well! We went on the first week in April, and it was 80+ F up on the trail - record-setting high temps, and the leaves hadn't come out yet so it was really sunny.

Like the usual newbie, I severely overpacked and was carrying 38 lbs not counting water. Live and learn, but I loved it and really want to go out again, but not until the heat dissapates (it's going to be 100 F here today).

I really overpacked the food, and brought a couple of meals that needed a skillet.... and of course I didn't have one.

Ultralight is so much better. I don't have SBAD, RAD, or any other "serious" shaving AD, but I love gear! I just picked up a 1 oz titanium alcohol stove which is amazing. I burned 4 oz of alcohol in 2 days. And I got a 1 lb sleeping bag which is amazing. Oh, and the 14 oz tarp (with stakes) for my son and me.

Unfortunately being a gearhead can be spendy, but it is sure worth it when you have 10 pounds or less on your back And to have a lake like this all to yourself is priceless.

proxy.php

My wife and I are getting back in the game after the birth of our first baby. She's 7 months now and we've been day hiking with her in Yosemite and in a handful of local parks around here. We're starting to feel ready to head out with a tent and do some real camping again soon :thumbup:

My wife and I are getting back in the game after the birth of our first baby. She's 7 months now and we've been day hiking with her in Yosemite and in a handful of local parks around here. We're starting to feel ready to head out with a tent and do some real camping again soon :thumbup:

Awesome! My son was 18 months when he had a pack on his back and spent the night in the tent. We found the perfect lake.... a 2 hour drive and a 1/4 mile hike. No one was there.

I think, and hope, that it's just a matter of getting out there. Even with kids. As long as you're attentive to when they get fed up with being carried around. We're not exactly aiming for those 10 h hikes over mountains anymore but just being able to get out again feels great.

It's great to hear of other people hiking with young kids. It makes me realize that it is very possible and that we're not completely crazy :biggrin1:

After seeing all these posts of folks hiking with their kids, I'm going to have to rethink what's possible. I used to backpack several years ago. Mostly 1-2 night trips in the Catskills, southern Adirondacks, as well as Green Mountains in Vermont, some longer trips as well. My kids are now 4, we'll probably start by spending a night out in a tent in the backyard.

My last backpacking was during the course of several trips in the Boundary Waters region in Minnesota. They were really canoe trips with most of the miles being covered by paddle. But we did have to portage between the lakes. That meant strapping one pack on my back and one on front. Then pick up the canoe an go!

I used to do a lot of backpacking in college. I went to Clemson, so it was all in the Blue Ridge, Smokies. Went around Pisgah a lot. A friend and I would do a 70 mile trek on a trail that goes through Northern SC and Southwestern NC called The Foothills Trail at the end of each semester.

Still have all my gear and am hoping to get back out there this fall when the weather cools off a bit.

I love backpacking. Unfortunately, I don't get to go as often as I used to. My last trip was The Lost Coast Trail. Goby, I would love to see your complete gear list. I would love to get below 15 pounds (including food) for a three day trip, but I'm not there yet. Here's a photo from my last trip:

I love backpacking. Unfortunately, I don't get to go as often as I used to. My last trip was The Lost Coast Trail. Goby, I would love to see your complete gear list. I would love to get below 15 pounds (including food) for a three day trip, but I'm not there yet. Here's a photo from my last trip:

The Lost Coast is amazing! It's on my list of places to go this summer, and I think I might actually make it there. But this weekend I think I'm doing a solo in the Trinity Alps.

My list includes the following items:

Golite Backpack (from 5-6 years ago, when they were really light) 1 lb.
Western Mountaineering 35 Degree Sleeping Bag 20 oz
Integral Designs Shelter/Tarp 14 oz
Vargo Titanium Alcohol Stove 1 oz (about 6 oz with 2 days of fuel)
Laundry Line 2 oz (doing laundry while backpacking means only one pair of clothes in my backpack)
REI Titanium Cup and Pot and lid 5 oz
MSR Water Filter 1 lb (I refuse to go ultralight and use tablets. Yuck)

The Lost Coast is amazing! It's on my list of places to go this summer, and I think I might actually make it there. But this weekend I think I'm doing a solo in the Trinity Alps.

My list includes the following items:

Golite Backpack (from 5-6 years ago, when they were really light) 1 lb.
Western Mountaineering 35 Degree Sleeping Bag 20 oz
Integral Designs Shelter/Tarp 14 oz
Vargo Titanium Alcohol Stove 1 oz (about 6 oz with 2 days of fuel)
Laundry Line 2 oz (doing laundry while backpacking means only one pair of clothes in my backpack)
REI Titanium Cup and Pot and lid 5 oz
MSR Water Filter 1 lb (I refuse to go ultralight and use tablets. Yuck)

Solid gear.

I added a couple a years ago the Sirius Satellite Radio Stiletto to my kit. It is basically a satellite radio walk-man. Current and detailed weather reports are damned useful in the bush. And listening to a baseball game in the evening on top of a mountain is rather sublime as well.

Solid gear.

I added a couple a years ago the Sirius Satellite Radio Stiletto to my kit. It is basically a satellite radio walk-man. Current and detailed weather reports are damned useful in the bush. And listening to a baseball game in the evening on top of a mountain is rather sublime as well.

The only electronic gear I like to bring into the woods is a headlamp. My wife is trying to convince me to bring a cell phone, as well, but my thought is that 99% of the time, I'm too far away from a cell phone tower to justify the safety increase. One of the things I like most about backpacking is getting 100% away from "civilization." This includes cell phones, radios, ipods, etc. I don't even like to bring a GPS -- map and compass have always worked just fine for me. This is very personal to me, though. I have no problem with others bringing electronics for their own use (as long as I can't hear it).

Top Bottom