What's new

Any ATG 1st shavers ?

I've been experimenting with going ATG first in my normal three pass shaving routine with good irritation free results.

To my thinking, as a first pass my skin is not quite as soft and vulnerable, at this stage in the shave due to less prolonged contact with the lather, as it would be if going ATG was a second or third pass.

'Rules are meant to be broken. Rules are for the protection of fools, and guidance for the wise.' -Lord Kitchener

Last edited:
Reactions: pmj

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In certain areas of my face, first pass ATG works for me. Mainly cheeks, jaw line and parts of my neck.

Mind you, I don't want a BBS shave. I enjoy just a DFS shave so that I can shave every day.

I do ATG first only with a few razors, many of them very mild. With aggressive razors is difficult to do ATG first. My favorite razor doing ATG first is Bic One Sensitive.

Sent from my Huawei P9 Lite using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One and done is often my norm.

A single lathered ATG buffing pass until I get no feedback whatsoever from the blade.

Using my Fatip Grande and most any blade I get along with delivers a 12 hour BBS. Using either my GEM Bullet Tip or MMOC with a GEM PTFE blade gives me anywhere between a 12 and 18 hour BBS.

As long as I do it right with any of those razors, my post shave feel is like I havent shaved.

The time that shave takes is anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes depending on blade wear. The less time a blade is on my skin, the less time irritation has to accumulate.

Whoever decided that ATG should be learned, did not have enough experience or patience to do it right the first time.
It is "a foolish consistency which becomes a "hobgoblin " which "bites!"

My face cannot handle 3 passes. To much blade on the face. So I just go once ATG and get as much hair off in one pass as I can.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
First?! All of it! One of the perks of being a FaTip fanboi and SE user (any rigid design, really) is ATG is less troublesome.

One pass ATG on my head.i could do the same on the beard but I enjoy the multipass ritual.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

ATG right out of the gate EVERY time for me! Requires only a light 2nd pass/touch-up,... and that's mostly because I enjoy lathering and soaps so much! None if this progressive reduction game. ATG takes it right down to the skin where I want it!

ATG right out of the gate EVERY time for me! Requires only a light 2nd pass/touch-up,... and that's mostly because I enjoy lathering and soaps so much! None if this progressive reduction game. ATG takes it right down to the skin where I want it!
I have a hunch that this is the way most men shaved in the 40's and 50's with a DE. Just one pass. You think we are pressed for time today? Life then was brutal.

ATG right out of the gate EVERY time for me! Requires only a light 2nd pass/touch-up,... and that's mostly because I enjoy lathering and soaps so much! None of this progressive reduction game. ATG takes it right down to the skin where I want it!
++1 This is something too I'm beginning to learn about and I am getting some of the best consistent shaves ever

I beginning to to draw the conclusion that repeated buffing of one's troublesome stubble areas when your skin has been in contact with the lather for any length of time, which is by then very soft and tender, is a recipe for irritation.
Try and mow the stubble down as soon as possible as Granite.Glasser says: 'None of this progressive reduction game. ATG takes it right down to the skin where I want it!'

Last edited:
Top Bottom