What's new

Antique store find

Really? Not even if I disinfect them first? So, I just chuck all these vintage blades? Seems like such a waste.

It would be a waste. You don't chuck them, you call them "collectables" and treat them as such. I'm a newbie, but I expect there are people who collect blades.

Basically, cut off the remaining bristles, drill out the plug, buy a new plug of the correct diameter (from The Golden Nib, etc.) and insert with some epoxy. Sound easy but does take some care.
Heh - yeah, I'm all too familiar with things that sounds easy, up until you try to actually do it yourself. Actually, it's the "drill out the plug" part that makes me most nervous - everything else is OK. I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, but I'm sure I could do this of I knew the proper tools/techniques.

Thanks to the pointers to the thread. I will check there for tips and techniques. Too bad you can't post confidence! :001_smile

elkaholic said:
But you have more brushes than you can use, so I'll take that yellowish one on the left! (Looks like a butterscotch to me)
2919 said:
What is the bright white brush standing on the box behind the Executive?
It's marked "Made Rite - Nylon - 44". I've heard that most older synthetic brushes are cheap under-performers, but the newer ones are really coming up to speed. Does anyone know this particular brush's reputation?

Here are a couple better pics.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
You filthy ^^^^@#()&@()*&$(#@&$*(#& :lol::lol::lol: J/k, Congrats! You really did find the mother load! I want you to pick my lotto numbers!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

S

Shairoh

That's an impressive amount of finds. How long did it take for you to find everything? Have you tried anything out?

Good to know. Seems to me that the Barbershop brand isn't made any more - can't seem to find any info on it. Does anyone know the history of the company? Are the Barbershop brand soaps and brushes I found very common?

If you go to the soap forum and search Barbershop you should find a thread titled Barbershop soap... it has a lot of information about this brand. Do any of your pucks have any scent left? The one I have doesn't have any of the scent but it lathers really great. :thumbup:

That's an impressive amount of finds. How long did it take for you to find everything?
All these items were found in one single stop. I caught an antique mall that had 3 boxes of men's shaving gear just arrive, and I convinced them that they could save themselves the time and hassle of sorting, cleaning, tagging and displaying if they simply sold me the whole lot as is. Beginner's luck, I s'pose.

Have you tried anything out?
The Gillette Executive is being my companion for my intro to DE shaving.

Hmm.. looks like I have someone else I need to worry about beating me to finds here in west michigan.. Nice haul.

That brush alone would probably bring 40-50$ on eBay just for the handle. Nice score.
The nylon Made Rite? Are you serious?! :eek:

So, I take it that brush is one of the better synthetics, eh? :001_smile

Or, is it just the handle that makes it worth that much? If so, why? (Sorry for all the newbie questions!)

If you go to the soap forum and search Barbershop you should find a thread titled Barbershop soap... it has a lot of information about this brand. Do any of your pucks have any scent left? The one I have doesn't have any of the scent but it lathers really great. :thumbup:
Thanks for the pointer. That thread did indeed answer a lot of my questions.

Mine is supposed to be "herbal scent," but I don't detect any scent left. (Then again, I haven't used it - just sniffed the dry puck without scratching it.)

Is there anyway to add a scent to this? Can this be milled, then a scent added?

This is tallow based soap, and I've forgotten - is this safe to melt in a microwave, or is it mill-able only?

The nylon Made Rite? Are you serious?! :eek:

So, I take it that brush is one of the better synthetics, eh? :001_smile

Or, is it just the handle that makes it worth that much? If so, why? (Sorry for all the newbie questions!)

Ian's referring to the handle. It's a lovely looking handle ! :thumbup1:

Butterscotch and amber, and some idiots on B&B have been driving up the cost of butterscotches lately :001_smile

Heh - yeah, I'm all too familiar with things that sounds easy, up until you try to actually do it yourself. Actually, it's the "drill out the plug" part that makes me most nervous - everything else is OK. I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, but I'm sure I could do this of I knew the proper tools/techniques.

You don't need fancy tools, though it would probably make it easier. Here's my knot removal tools :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Ian's referring to the handle. It's a lovely looking handle ! :thumbup1: Butterscotch and amber ...
Hey, Dr. Ian ... :001_smile

I just visited your Butterscotch Eye Candy Shop and read your Butterscotch Classification Guide. Great info - thanks! :thumbup1:

A few question about the brush:

1) Do you think this is real butterscotch? How would you classify it?

2) Do you think it's real amber? I didn't think so, but I'm no expert. Is there any way I can distinguish real amber from simulated amber?

3) Does anyone know where I can find information and history on Made Rite brushes? I'd like to put a date on this brush, if possible.

Thanks!

Hey, Dr. Ian ... :001_smile

I just visited your Butterscotch Eye Candy Shop and read your Butterscotch Classification Guide. Great info - thanks! :thumbup1:

A few question about the brush:

1) Do you think this is real butterscotch? How would you classify it?

It looks like catalin from the piccies, can't see any swirls or speckles in it.....

Then on second thought I'm not sure when nylon was introduced as bristles. That "technology " might put it outside the right time frame for "true" butterscotch

If you're going to reknot, then the best way to know is once you've pulled the old knot out then scratch deep inside the knot hole and see if it's white under the yellow or it's yellow all the way through !!!

Only real way to know is if you sent it to me and I'll test ( if it makes it , it's a long way to Tasmania :tongue_sm )

2) Do you think it's real amber? I didn't think so, but I'm no expert. Is there any way I can distinguish real amber from simulated amber?

Doubt it ! Are there any mosquitos in it and can we take blood from it and grow dinosaurs ????? :biggrin1:

3) Does anyone know where I can find information and history on Made Rite brushes? I'd like to put a date on this brush, if possible.

Not me ! But that's part of the great alluring mystery of old vintage brushes :001_smile

Last edited:
Top Bottom