What's new

Antique store find

I've been trolling garage/estate sales, flea markets and antique stores, looking for a vintage Gillette as my first safety razor. I didn't want to spend too much at first. Or, so I thought.

I walked into this antique store and asked if they had any old-fashioned men's shaving gear. She laughed, and said that 3 boxes had just come in; nothing was cleaned, sorted or tagged. Methinks I hit the mother lode (for a newbie, at least). I convinced them that that they could save themselves a lot of work by simply selling all their stuff to me as is - and they did.

Now, I'm very new to this stuff and could use help in establishing the identity and value of these pieces, as well as tips on cleaning them up. (I have read the cleaning/restoration wiki.) Thanks to you folks I do know some things, but my knowledge is definitely lacking.

Enough of this ... on to some pics of what I got away with:

full

full

full

full

Too much to list everything. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. But, I will list a few things, starting with the blades. I have:

3 wrapped and 2 unwrapped Gillette Thin blades
1 unwrapped Gem Blue Star SE blade
1 unwrapped Wilkinson Sword
6 wrapped blades - Super Hetian Blades? - anyone heard of these?
Many unwrapped Gillette Blue blades
1 wrapped Gillette Blue blade
1 unwrapped Blade Man blade (never heard of them)
2 unwrapped Howard blades (never heard of these either)
2 Gillette blades that appear to be steel, 3 holed; one in plain paper, one with a pic of King Gillette. The one in the pic wrap is very rusty.
Unknown quantity of Gillette Blue blades in a dispenser (came w/Executive)
1 Gillette Blue blade in a pic wrap (came w/Tech)
4 Wrapped Gem Micromatic blades (came w/Junior)

full

full

full

Are any of these blades safe for me to use?

Now, a quick list of razors, with as much as I can identify.

Ever-Ready SE
Gem 1912 SE
Gem Micromatic SE TTO w/case
Gem SE TTO - looks like the Micromatic, but needs much cleaning to verify
Gem Junior SE w/case
Unknown Gem SE
Eversharp Schick Injector
Gillette Techmatic (banded blade?) w/case
Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable - 1959 (E1)
Gillette Slim Adjustable - 1966 (L3)
Gillette Travel Tech, NOS w/promo case? - 1965 (K2)
Gillette Gold Knurled Ball End Tech w/box - can't seem to find date code
Gillette Gold Ball End Tech - can't find date code
Gillette Super Speed - appears to be 40s style; underside *really* needs cleaned to see if there's any markings
Gillette Super Speed - also appears 40s style. Handle has a smooth band just above the knob with "PAT. NO'S ON PACKAGE" in it
Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed - 1957 (C1)
Gillette Gold Ball End New?
Gillette Gold Ball End Old style?
Gillette Super Slim Adjustable (black handled) - 1976 (W3)
Gillette Executive - 1958 (D3)
2 Rolls Razor - one in pristine condition w/case, instructions and extra strop; the other is just the frame, strop and hone in OK condition

Having said all that, keep this in mind: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! I've only been into this stuff for about 2 weeks, but I've been hanging around here soaking up what you folks have to say like a sponge. I've learned a lot from B&B, and quickly - thanks to the whole community. If you see that I've made any identification blunders, please let me know!

Many of these are in rough shape and need cleaning (some need quite a bit), others surprisingly appear almost new. I've read threads here on cleaning/restoring including the wiki article (as well as viewed mantic's cleaning video), and have noticed some conflicting info. I may have questions here regarding that later.

The Executive is in pristine condition, and I may adopt that as my razor.

full

Here's the pristine Rolls in its case.

full

Here's the NOS Travel Tech. It still has a piece of cardboard where the blade is to go, with instructions to replace it with a blade! (I got this image of someone trying to shave with a piece of cardboard!) It has a still wrapped box of blades. It's in a plastic case with "First Insurance Corp." name and address. Could this have been some type of promotional/incentive item?

full

full

And, what is this? At first I thought it was something to keep blades in, but it's not wide enough for blades.

full

full

I was told this is some sort of a scuttle, but if it is, the area to generate your lather is awful small. Anyone know more?

full

full

Oh my - sorry for the super long post! I think I've said enough for now. Love to hear any input you might have. Oh, but no offers, please. I don't yet meet the criteria to offer anything for sale, and I'd like to learn more regarding identity and value before I entertain any offers. I'm sure you understand, and I thank you for that.

Thanks again to the wonderfully informative and helpful Badger & Blade Community! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will leave it to the seasoned experts to help you with identifying your mother lode. But there is one question WE ALL are surely dying to know ...

How much did you pay for this haul???

BTW ... great haul!! :thumbup:

I will leave it to the seasoned experts to help you with identifying your mother lode. But there is one question WE ALL are surely dying to know ...

How much did you pay for this haul???

BTW ... great haul!! :thumbup:

+1 I might have to start trolling my local pawn/antique shops

That is quite a haul. However, I am not sure these items are safe to use due to age, etc. Please PM me and I will take these dangereous items off of your hands for free. I will see to it that they are taken care of. Don't thank me, I'm just glad to help. :biggrin1:

I might have to start trolling my local pawn/antique shops
Yeah, I've had more luck at antique shops than garage/estate sales. Never thought of pawn shops, though. Not sure if one would pawn wet shaving gear, though. Could be worth a look.

That is quite a haul. However, I am not sure these items are safe to use due to age, etc. Please PM me and I will take these dangereous items off of your hands for free. I will see to it that they are taken care of. Don't thank me, I'm just glad to help. :biggrin1:
See? Another way the B&B community steps up to the plate and provides selfless assistance! I continue to be impressed! Thanks, Stan - I'll let you know if I decide to take you up on your most generous offer. :laugh:

...I see what you did there.

:lol:

I love stories like these. Though they send me into a blind jealousy sometimes. Congratulations on that awesome haul. I never thought I'd become the type to go "antiquing" but I'm resolved to get my next razor from a junk shop.

WOW! Great Score!

But you have more brushes than you can use, so I'll take that yellowish one on the left! :whistling: (Looks like a butterscotch to me:innocent:)

Captain --

The blade holder that you think is too small, is actually a blade holder for Single Edged blades for SE GEM's/Ever Readys. Good haul; it even looks like you got some good soaps, a TwinPlex stropper, etc.

-- John Gehman

Congratulations!

You've got quite a nice bit of stuff there - some terrific looking razors. It should all clean up quite nicely.

Kudos on a job well done!

Very nice haul!

Aside form the razors, it looks like you have a number of brushes that should yield very nice candidates for restoration.

The Barbershop soap should work well. I'd avoid using any of the blades.

What is the round green soap puck in the first couple pics?

I'm not sure I want to know what a "Kleen Reem" is for. :scared:

Nice score.Quite the motherload.If you wanna unload your barbershop doubles I could help lighten that heavy motherload.

Top Bottom