What's new

Antique store find

The Rolls is the Viscount model, looks to be chrome/nickle plated so most likely is the post WWII model. Let me kinow if the hone is cracked, I may have some help for you soon,if it is.

Great haul!

I'm Jealous, but if I came home with a box like that I am afraid my wife would do this to me . :a33:

Then where would I be? (don't answer that!)

Looks like I should have gone with my wife to antique shops rather than stay home and watch football or baseball! Great catch.

Very nice haul!

Aside form the razors, it looks like you have a number of brushes that should yield very nice candidates for restoration.

The Barbershop soap should work well. I'd avoid using any of the blades.

What is the round green soap puck in the first couple pics?

I'm not sure I want to know what a "Kleen Reem" is for. :scared:

the kleem reem is for reeming smoking pipes i wish i had one lol

Went to two flea markets today and found nothing but these cheap chinese straight. More of a novelty item than an actual razor. Needless to say i didn't buy em.

You my friend have made a many jealous. Congrats on the score...especially the executive...those things with the box are going upwards of $200 or more on the bay

What is the bright white brush standing on the box behind the Executive? I'm also interested in learning about the scuttle.

Gerry

WOW.

:w00t:

I tried trolling the markets over the weekend and came up empty.
Methinks I need to hit the antique stores themselves...

Thanks for all the congrats, folks. Sorry for taking so long to address some of your comments and questions.

But you have more brushes than you can use, so I'll take that yellowish one on the left! :whistling: (Looks like a butterscotch to me:innocent:)

Methinks you're referring to the leftmost brush on the right end of the table (pics 3 & 4, near the Executive), right?

Hmm ... you apparently know something about this that I don't. :001_smile: Care to share?

What is the bright white brush standing on the box behind the Executive?

I think you're also referring to the same brush. I believe it's a synthetic brush. I'll get more info and better pics later today.

I'm also interested in learning about the scuttle.

Me too. So far, no one has enlightened me.

The blade holder that you think is too small, is actually a blade holder for Single Edged blades for SE GEM's/Ever Readys.

Hmm ... I thought I even compared it to the size of SE blades, and found it too small. I'll try again later today.

it even looks like you got some good soaps, a TwinPlex stropper, etc.

Yeah. I thought I had quite the find with the TwinPlex ... it looks brand new and (from the copyright date) I thought it was from the '20s. But, I found a site with info on them, and it appears my model may be from the '50s. I'm still not 100% sure.

Besides, I think I remember reading somewhere here that DE stroppers don't really do much for today's modern DE blades. So, mayhaps the stropper wasn't such the great find I initially thought it was.

Aside form the razors, it looks like you have a number of brushes that should yield very nice candidates for restoration.
Sounds interesting ... what's involved in restoring a brush?

The Barbershop soap should work well.
Good to know. Seems to me that the Barbershop brand isn't made any more - can't seem to find any info on it. Does anyone know the history of the company? Are the Barbershop brand soaps and brushes I found very common?

I'd avoid using any of the blades.
Really? Not even if I disinfect them first? So, I just chuck all these vintage blades? Seems like such a waste.
Does anyone know anything about the Blade Man or Howard blades?

What is the round green soap puck in the first couple pics?
That's one of the Barbershop soap pucks I took out of the box to show.

I'm not sure I want to know what a "Kleen Reem" is for. :scared:
As others have pointed out, it's a pipe reamer. And, from what I can tell, it's a nice, high-quality one. Any pipe smokers here? I used to be, but no more.

The Rolls is the Viscount model, looks to be chrome/nickle plated so most likely is the post WWII model. Let me kinow if the hone is cracked, I may have some help for you soon,if it is.
Thanks. I'll take a closer looks and get some better pics later today. Any threads here that will teach me about history and identification of Rolls?

I tried trolling the markets over the weekend and came up empty.
Methinks I need to hit the antique stores themselves...
Yeah, compared to garage/estate sales and flea markets, I'm having better luck at antique shops. Better yet, seek out an "antique mall." It's one of those big places where many antique dealers go in together on. Some antique malls in my area have upwards of 50 to 60 dealers displaying their items in one big shop.

I made another find this past weekend at an antique mall, though nothing near as big as this first one. Got 3 razors - another Super Slim "Black Beauty" and 2 Super Speeds (not sure the dates yet) - for $12. Four bucks a razor is hard to beat.

Oh, and here's another idea: I've posted a WTB ad for "old-fasioned men's shaving gear" on Craigslist. Actually got a different Black Beauty for $5 that way.

Granted, all these razors need cleaning/restoration, but I want to learn how to do that.

Sounds interesting ... what's involved in restoring a brush?

Basically, cut off the remaining bristles, drill out the knot plug, buy a new brush knot of the correct diameter (from The Golden Nib, etc.) and insert with some epoxy. Sound easy but does take some care. There are a number of restoration threads over at the Shaving Brush forum, or you can post there asking for hints, tips, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom