What's new

Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Ribeira do Porto

This cream deserves a thread. I have used it for two weeks now and have only had excellent shaves. I paid €10 for the 125ml tube in Porto in 2017. The lather is wet and slick and moisturizing. It is very protective. I have not had a weeper or worse with this cream. It doesn’t balloon into an air filled, wispy lather, but remains a heavy meringue. The scent is cedar and citrus to me. It is a warm but not overpowering scent, and it lingers for several hours. I believe it is the most desirable lather a cream has produced for me. My second favorite would be Musgo Real. I am looking forward to the Principe Real version of this cream. I’ll post some lather pics later.
F94EC734-0AFA-4EBB-A911-1A1732FBA308.jpeg

Last edited:
E48EEFEB-CF06-44B9-BE6C-0B3CB0C2B201.jpeg

After application of first pass. Restored Century brush with a 24mm TGN Finest. It has that moisture laiden sheen. Just a fantastic cream. Not a budget cream nor a premium cream, but worth the little extra above the budget cream for the oils and scent. The octopus approves. I am getting the gift set with soap and boar brush for my son for Xmas.

Portuguese creams are great. I have used Musgo Real and Lavanda. I hate that Musgo is so expensive these days, but Lavanda is still a very affordable cream. It comes in a dark green tube and has a very nice lavender scent. I strongly recommend that one and it can be found for cheap on Amazon.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Never heard of it before, sounds like a good cream though. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Portuguese creams are great. I have used Musgo Real and Lavanda. I hate that Musgo is so expensive these days, but Lavanda is still a very affordable cream. It comes in a dark green tube and has a very nice lavender scent. I strongly recommend that one and it can be found for cheap on Amazon.
Lavanda is about €5 in Lisbon these days. If I didn't have so much stuff, I would have purchased another when there a few weeks ago. And you're spot on about Musgo Real. Very available, but more expensive than Antiga Barbearia de Bairro.

This cream deserves a thread. I have used it for two weeks now and have only had excellent shaves. I paid €10 for the 125ml tube in Porto in 2017. The lather is wet and slick and moisturizing. It is very protective. I have not had a weeper or worse with this cream. It doesn’t balloon into an air filled, wispy lather, but remains a heavy meringue. The scent is cedar and citrus to me. It is a warm but not overpowering scent, and it lingers for several hours. I believe it is the most desirable lather a cream has produced for me. My second favorite would be Musgo Real. I am looking forward to the Principe Real version of this cream. I’ll post some lather pics later.
View attachment 1031234

I like Antiga Barbearia de Bairro products very much and they are keystones in my rotation.

The ranges are the fresh (cedar, sandalwood, patchouli, bergamot) Principe Real, the slightly spicy, floral (bergamot, bitter orange, musk, cedar, floral and spice notes) Ribeira do Porto, and the fairly light woody (cedar, sandalwood, tobacco leaf, jacaranda, basil) Chiado range.

The various ranges come as shaving cream, after shave, eau de toilette, bath soap on a rope, and aftershave balms, but not all ranges come in all above varieties. The most complete range seems to be the Principe Real series, named after a park in Lisbon.

I like fresh bergamot, basil, sandalwood notes and the creams are excellent, even though one - Ribeira do Porto - shaving cream tube was slightly runny (after long storage at the merchant??) when it arrived, but that did not seem to affect performance in any way.

Their Essential range has the only shaving soap available in glass jar (similar to Martin de Candre) or as refill that fits the Antiga Barbearia de Bairro soap dish. I use both regularly and then apply some other after shave that I fancy that morning.

The three ranges seem to be styled with a light, breezy Mediterranean summer theme in mind (picture yourself in either Lisbon or Porto in a sidewalk café on a balmy summer mid-morning).

All products work very well for me and I consider them a better priced, equally attractive alternative to Musgo Real.

Verdict:
Highly recommended - if you can find them.

B

Last edited:
M

Member 113878

Available from Giftsandcare in Spain, albeit a bit expensive.

I would not have bought these creams had I not found them in Porto couple of years ago.

My Ribeira do Porto cream was also runny, but it becomes firmer if put in hot sink water before shaving. As with your experience, it doesn’t affect the performance at all.

Very much looking forward to Principe Real now!

I've had this exact cream before and was a bit disappointed, I needed lots of cream to get a good lather and the cream is a bit overpriced in my opintion.
The scent of Chiado is very intoxicating however.

I can't comment on the cream, but I will say this...I bought the Ribeira do Porto AS splash and Cologne because I saw Dan from APR post about using it. Now that I have been wearing it for a wek or so, I can report that I am absolutely blown away by the scent.

I am a major fragrance guy, so I own a fair amount of fragrance and have definite likes, loves, dislikes and hates. I own niche and designer (although mostly niche) and Ribeira is a BEAUTIFUL woodsy/floral scent with just a touch of citrus (the AS has more citrus than the cologne which has almost none). It is one of the finest scents in my den and I own a lot of classic scents for gentlemen.

Based on this experience, I just bought Principe Real AS + EdT and Chiado AS. I expect to love them all. As an unexpected benefit, the AS splash is incredibly great for my skin.

Just got Chiado AS Splash yesterday and it smells fantastic, as well. Very woodsy and masculine. Reminds me of something my father wore in the late 80s and early 90s at work (finance). And insane performance for an AS Splash. Lasted for hours on me and smells ever so slightly reminiscent of Dyptique Tam Dao EdT, but fresher.

Principe Real AS and EdT are on the way and I can't wait to try them.

Top Bottom