What's new

Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Ribeira do Porto

I am hoping for a bit more citrus and a little less wood in Principe Real. I’m not going to break the seal for a whiff until I am finished with Rio Sul, though. Looking forward to your take on it...

I am hoping for a bit more citrus and a little less wood in Principe Real. I’m not going to break the seal for a whiff until I am finished with Rio Sul, though. Looking forward to your take on it...

Same here. I am hoping for more citrus, but the reviews are all over the place on that one, so not sure what to think...I am sure it'll be an excellent fragrance...just a matter of whether it is different from the others or more of similar notes. Should know soon enough.

So after now having used Chiado for several days in a row, I feel like I have to update my thought on it...

Originally, I thought it was more of a straight cedar/sandalwood scent, but with some more experience, I think I can now say that this view was too simplistic and not accurate. Chiado starts off as a straight cedar/woodsy scent, but it is actually quite a bit "fresher", even aquatic than that. There is an ozone and even sea salt note in there that lift this up. There is, however, also a note in the base of musk and amber that smells like Ambroxan to me and it feels very synthetic. To me, this makes this feel more "department store" than the "niche" Ribera Do Porto. It is a very nice scent, mind you...but to me, it is not in the same league with Ribeira. The plus is that Chiado WILL resonate better with a younger audience where Ribeira definitely attracts a more mature person IMO.

For the record...the owner of Antiga Barbearia do Bairro is Luis Pereira who has previously worked at Chanel. The guy knows what he is doing, and it shows.

You will get your wish. Principe has a fair amount of citrus in the opening and then settles into a green/earthy middle with just a touch of patchouli and sandalwood in the base. Just like Ribeira, it is a masterpiece IMO.

I did a cheat shave from 3017ing a tube of a cheap Portuguese cream, Rio Sul, today.

And you were dead on with your description! Principe Real is a much lighter, fresher combination of the citrus and wood, with that green note. Ribeira do Porto is a warmer combination. The colors of the packaging would suggest it as well. The orange and yellow tube of Porto also suggest a fall cream, while the green of Principe Real suggest spring.

There was a discernible difference in the consistency and lather of the cream. Principe Real seems lighter and not as rich with oils as it left the tube, and it provided a thinner, not as protective nor moisturizing, lather. It was also not as slick. This may change as I use the tube. I will try a little more product, too, to see if the lather improves. I only used 3/4" today.

The lingering scent is really enjoyable. I am going back to the Portuguese Palmolive for now, but I look forward to Principe Real for spring!

Great thread.
Thanks to both @FL shaver for the cream review and @steffenapelz for the scent profile info.
They seem to offer each scent in a different concentration: Chiado is listed as EDP, Principe Real as EDT and Ribeira as EDC. I like the description of Ribeira but nearly 40€ for 100ml of cologne is probably double than what I'd want to pay.

Great thread.
Thanks to both @FL shaver for the cream review and @steffenapelz for the scent profile info.
They seem to offer each scent in a different concentration: Chiado is listed as EDP, Principe Real as EDT and Ribeira as EDC. I like the description of Ribeira but nearly 40€ for 100ml of cologne is probably double than what I'd want to pay.

Don't worry too much about the scent strengths a indicated because they are meaningless IMO. I have all 3 AS Splashes as well as the Principe EdT and Ribeira EdC.

The Ribeira EdC has more longevity than the Principe EdT. The Chiado AS has more longevity than the two EdC/EdTs. Just make a decision based on the scent profile and I think you'll be happy.

As far as the cost goes...not sure where you are located, but the Ribeira is 26.83 Euro (without VAT) from Portuguese Factory Online and it is worth so much more than that. It is better than most Creed scents IMO made from a guy that used to be at Chanel. And it'll last you quite a long time.

@steffenapelz thank you so much for the reassuring feedback. I'm located in....Portugal :) which means shipping is cheaper (but not free) and I'm paying taxes. Lowest I can get it for is 37€ delivered.

Had another shave with Principe Real last evening. Still not the same experience as Porto, but a very nice cream. I used a bit more cream and wound up with a satisfying lather with a great scent. Putting it back on hold until finished with Rio Sul.

What is the full list of ingredients for the Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Ribeira aftershave splash?? I cannot seem to find it anywhere online. I currently only have Maol grooming AS splashes as they work best for me but im looking to expand.

What is the full list of ingredients for the Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Ribeira aftershave splash?? I cannot seem to find it anywhere online. I currently only have Maol grooming AS splashes as they work best for me but im looking to expand.

If it is that important to you, you could contact them directly: Talk To Us | Antiga Barbearia de Bairro - http://www.antigabarbeariadebairro.com/en/talk-to-us/

I had one question regarding brick and mortar store that carry their products and one regarding the difference between their two hard soaps (there is none, just different shape and packaging) and found them quite responsive each time.

B

It’s is very important to me. Tells me a lot about the product. The site I was looking at said it has Jojoba oil, but the ingredients list doesn’t include it. For parfume to be the third Ingredient, the scent must be quite strong. This is what I received..

Attachments

• F3908E81-FD97-4CE8-94CC-472790663084.jpeg
    F3908E81-FD97-4CE8-94CC-472790663084.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
It’s is very important to me. Tells me a lot about the product. The site I was looking at said it has Jojoba oil, but the ingredients list doesn’t include it. For parfume to be the third Ingredient, the scent must be quite strong. This is what I received..

On the EdT, the sillage is indeed pretty good and longevity is excellent. The sillage on the AS is decent, but longevityis really good.

Top Bottom