What's new

Antica Barbieria Colla | ABC | A Truly Great Soap

What is a super-fatted artisan?

The new individual soap-makers tend to add several skin-conditioning oils and butters on their soap formula. That is why they're referred to as 'super-fasted', it is a new word in the wet-shaving space. The ingredient list for these soaps are quite long. Contrast that with the ingredient list for classic soaps like ABC, MDC, or Pannacrema that have only six ingredients in their formula.

Who wins more?

Personally I prefer MdC over ABC.
Jim mentioned that MdC is too dry for his skin but for me is just perfect, it all comes down to personal preference, skin type and taste.
Best thing is to try them both since your skin type, properties, taste, etc...might be different from Jim or mine.
At the end of the day something that works miracles for me might not be the best for you and vice versa.
Is always hard to make a decisions based on somebody else opinion but one thing is for sure either you chose MdC or ABC you can’t go wrong since both products are top notch when it comes to performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed the soap is gone, I asked the local retailer too.
There is the cream option left but I cannot afford (or even justify) 55 euros for 100ml of cream, so this is a no go for me.
Admittedly their 1904 line of Eau de Parfumes is ..amazeballs. I might someday buy one, or two or.. well you know how this goes :biggrin:

Gents, great thread - can't add much you guys have already covered :just a confirmation from an old wet shaver here in Dallas.

This stuff is toptier for sure. Residual slickness is of the chain. So easy to lather with a non-finicky water window. Great sheen and I think quite a nice fragrance level. A much better amaretto-almond accord than Boellis Panama and Cella.

I have reached for this puck more than any other this winter. Truly enjoyable. This is not really a cream but a hard croap. Gotta get my hands on the hard soap!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awesome product. I bought the shaving cream (really a croap) a few years back from the ABC barber shop in Milan Italy. Such a fun experience. Couldn’t pass up the opportunity. Also got a straight razor shave. (Shavette).

Maybe overpriced but still a great product. The aftershave apricot hull balm is excellent as well!!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Just a post script, when these soaps and creams were discontinued, no one wanted them, you almost couldn’t give them away. I was buying the IC Mango refills for $16 off Amazon a year after it ended, just adding a puck or two when I ordered something else. The pots were more expensive at $32-34, but I ordered a couple extras in case I dropped one.

ABC hard soap was even less loved, I bought the last 3 Maggards had at discount then lucked into 6 more or so on a BST. But no one else wanted them.

Kind of sad really, they’re better than any artisan soap that I’ve tried, but MdC is very close.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The I Coloniali Rhubarb cream, sorry. You might be able to find it, it was less popular than the soap - after the soap was discontinued.

You can still get Atkinsons for gentlemen cream, which is the same cream as IC Rhubarb, but with a lavender scent.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
4-8-20.FatipOC.Slant.ABC.Z-silvertip.640JPG.JPG

I don't use it very often because this is the last puck in the world, but it is a damn of a soap. Note that this is the hard shaving soap.

Fortunately Vitos Red is both inexpensive, available, and almost as good (but not as luxurious feeling and not as perfect).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom