What's new

Anglo Saxon Razor

My most recent shaving related purchase was a razor called "the celebrated anglo Saxon concave Razor" (photo attached) made by wade and butcher

I have a few questions about it if anybody knows anything of this model

1. Does anybody have general information (years of manufacture, advertisements from the time)

2. I am a newbie but this shaves far better than my old straight razor, can anybody speculate on why aside from sharpness?

And 3. Is the anglo Saxon razor just a name or was it falling into the 19th century trend of studying cranial and facial structure on different ethnic groups? If the latter, are there other such razors? Perhaps a Prussian or Westphalian razor from Germany?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_114541.jpg
    IMG_20220411_114541.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 15
It looks like a 4/8 to me, that's all I got. Usually used for detailing work, supposedly harder to shave with. Rattler grind, barber notch by the look of it. Just trying to help your thread get seen. Welcome to B&B!

It looks like a 4/8 to me, that's all I got. Usually used for detailing work, supposedly harder to shave with. Rattler grind, barber notch by the look of it. Just trying to help your thread get seen. Welcome to B&B!
Thank you! I found it much easier to shave with than my other one (picture related) that I have been using for awhile, seems quite generic but Sheffield steel nonetheless

Attachments

• IMG_20220329_135414.jpg
    IMG_20220329_135414.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 2
My most recent shaving related purchase was a razor called "the celebrated anglo Saxon concave Razor" (photo attached) made by wade and butcher

I have a few questions about it if anybody knows anything of this model

1. Does anybody have general information (years of manufacture, advertisements from the time)

2. I am a newbie but this shaves far better than my old straight razor, can anybody speculate on why aside from sharpness?

And 3. Is the anglo Saxon razor just a name or was it falling into the 19th century trend of studying cranial and facial structure on different ethnic groups? If the latter, are there other such razors? Perhaps a Prussian or Westphalian razor from Germany?

Thanks!
I am no expert on Wade and Butcher, but I have seen these around. The more popular, and therefore more pricey ones are the big heavy choppers made by them.

The blade profile reminds me of a set of two George Butlers I have, they were made between 1861 and 1882, so maybe a trend at the time in Sheffield.

Excellent shavers.

GB.jpg

Top Bottom