What's new

Otto Roth and the Rotbart razor company

I know many of you have examples of the Rotbart razor and Rotbart razor blades. Some of these items predate Gillette's purchase of this company, some are subsequent to the purchase/merger/ They are all well made and well worth collecting.
full

full

Who was Otto Roth and what is the story about this German razor company? Here's a little bit from my research study on this very German company and their strategies and motivations.

full

Even though Gillette had managed a major market presence in Germany for many years, nonetheless in 1926 they purchased a controlling interest in Roth-Buchner, its most aggressive competitors. At this time, Roth-Buchner had been in the razor/shaving business for several years and was producing over 250 private label brands of double edged razor blades and razors, including its own Rotbart, Rothbart, Minors, and Luxuosa brands. Roth-Buchner Aktiengesellschaft was headquartered in Berlin, and had been located there for several years, since the merger of Otto Roth and Hugo Buchner. Buchner had operated a razor and blade business in Berlin at 92 Belle-Alliancestrasse, and together the two made a formidable competitor for Gillette or any other razor or blade manufacturer. Director Otto Roth maintained his offices in Berlin and managed several razor and blade factories throughout Europe. When Gillette purchased the controlling interest in Roth - Buchner, Otto Roth was named the General Director for all of Gillette's European divisions.

In 1927 Gillette ventured further towards controlling its competition by purchasing Otto Roth, a subsidiary of Roth- Buchner, which had not been sold with the original purchase. Otto Roth produced the Gentleman Otto razor, and the Royal Crown (1928) and Cosmopolitan (1929) blades. By 1927, razor blade production at Roth Buchner had reached one million blades daily.

Roth-Buchner’s first full-time Advertising Manager was Fritz Lochner, who had started in 1922 as a commission clerk and worked his way up in the Accounting Dept. Lochner launched major advertising campaigns in local and national newspapers and magazines, a practice used little prior to that time, and one which was likely developed and encouraged by Gillette's international marketing group. They used this market to develop innovative and somewhat revolutionary advertisements. (At the same time, cigarette advertising campaigns were being developed, and in some cases more money was spent on annual advertising budgets than the total annual sales of the advertised products. Apparently Gillette and Roth-Buchner shared this innovative marketing strategy as a way to dominate the market for their products.) Lochner also used his promotional skills to create what we would term “media events” today. Lochner also used celebrity endorsements in his advertising campaigns, with well known Germans such as the opera star Richard Tauber, Paul Morgan, Max Ehrlich, Kurt Lilien and Trude Hesterberg. The well-known opera composer Franz Lehar stated in one advertisement, “My best ideas come while shaving with my Rotbart!”

Want to see some of this early advertising? Innovative and bold -- I would say. Sexist? Appealing? Whatever you think, this was advertising in its infancy, and advertising that apparently worked.
full

full

full

full

full

What's going on here! 1937 or so!
full

I don't get this one either -- but I love his knickers and spats!
full

full

Predates Mad Men in chronology, but must have inspired those Madison Avenue pioneers with how to sell products -- at least how to sell to men!

And my favorite -- so far.
full

I think it could have displayed shaving the man's legs also -- but what an imaginative -- hilarious -- way to sell razors and blades! How fast can you shave?!

I know many of you have examples of the Rotbart razor and Rotbart razor blades. Some of these items predate Gillette's purchase of this company, some are subsequent to the purchase/merger/ They are all well made and well worth collecting.
full

full

Who was Otto Roth and what is the story about this German razor company? Here's a little bit from my research study on this very German company and their strategies and motivations.

full

Even though Gillette had managed a major market presence in Germany for many years, nonetheless in 1926 they purchased a controlling interest in Roth-Buchner, its most aggressive competitors. At this time, Roth-Buchner had been in the razor/shaving business for several years and was producing over 250 private label brands of double edged razor blades and razors, including its own Rotbart, Rothbart, Minors, and Luxuosa brands. Roth-Buchner Aktiengesellschaft was headquartered in Berlin, and had been located there for several years, since the merger of Otto Roth and Hugo Buchner. Buchner had operated a razor and blade business in Berlin at 92 Belle-Alliancestrasse, and together the two made a formidable competitor for Gillette or any other razor or blade manufacturer. Director Otto Roth maintained his offices in Berlin and managed several razor and blade factories throughout Europe. When Gillette purchased the controlling interest in Roth - Buchner, Otto Roth was named the General Director for all of Gillette's European divisions.

In 1927 Gillette ventured further towards controlling its competition by purchasing Otto Roth, a subsidiary of Roth- Buchner, which had not been sold with the original purchase. Otto Roth produced the Gentleman Otto razor, and the Royal Crown (1928) and Cosmopolitan (1929) blades. By 1927, razor blade production at Roth Buchner had reached one million blades daily.

Roth-Buchner’s first full-time Advertising Manager was Fritz Lochner, who had started in 1922 as a commission clerk and worked his way up in the Accounting Dept. Lochner launched major advertising campaigns in local and national newspapers and magazines, a practice used little prior to that time, and one which was likely developed and encouraged by Gillette's international marketing group. They used this market to develop innovative and somewhat revolutionary advertisements. (At the same time, cigarette advertising campaigns were being developed, and in some cases more money was spent on annual advertising budgets than the total annual sales of the advertised products. Apparently Gillette and Roth-Buchner shared this innovative marketing strategy as a way to dominate the market for their products.) Lochner also used his promotional skills to create what we would term “media events” today. Lochner also used celebrity endorsements in his advertising campaigns, with well known Germans such as the opera star Richard Tauber, Paul Morgan, Max Ehrlich, Kurt Lilien and Trude Hesterberg. The well-known opera composer Franz Lehar stated in one advertisement, “My best ideas come while shaving with my Rotbart!”

Want to see some of this early advertising? Innovative and bold -- I would say. Sexist? Appealing? Whatever you think, this was advertising in its infancy, and advertising that apparently worked.
full

full

full

full

full

What's going on here! 1937 or so!
full

I don't get this one either -- but I love his knickers and spats!
full

full

Predates Mad Men in chronology, but must have inspired those Madison Avenue pioneers with how to sell products -- at least how to sell to men!

And my favorite -- so far.
full

I think it could have displayed shaving the man's legs also -- but what an imaginative -- hilarious -- way to sell razors and blades! How fast can you shave?!

FABULOUS COLLECTION!! Thanks for the history!!

Got this one and thought it is better to put it here into context than into the long non-Gillette thread.

This Rotbart is constructed like a Single Ring (with thin head), besides the removable inner handle. It has been silver plated, which is mostly gone. The most plating remains on the top of the cap. I am not sure if this is due to to thicker plating there or if it is perhaps not silver. The guard has ROTBARD MOND-EXTRA in serif typewriter font. At the end of the handle is the Rotbart / Mond-Extra logo in script and rhomb. I don't know if box and razor are a team as the handle falls out of its slot when the razor is fully removed to the left. I don't really know anything about the razor like model and date.

I will test it in OCtober and if it shaves well, I will get it replated fully in silver.

Rotbart-1.jpg
Rotbart-2.jpg
Rotbart-3.jpg
Rotbart-4.jpg
Rotbart-5.jpg

R

romsitsa

Hello, usually cap comb and neck are nickel, handle and tube are silver, but yours is a different model, most likely the cap and comb is nickel the rest is silver.
Compared to the “classic” design the handle and neck is machined from one piece (or the transition was machined down), the smooth bands are cut from the knurling and the crimp of the comb is either bigger or more rounded. Interesting.

Before replating, if you polish up the inside of the comb but want to keep the original surface, sand it with 320 grit wet-dry paper.

Adam

With your information I am now convinced, that the cap is completely nickel plated. The handle and comb guard piece is really fully silver plated. The comb guard has still some plating sides, top and bottom and that is tarnished like silver.

I think the handle was made from a single piece.

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:
My understanding is, that Rotbart/Mond-Extra existed as a brand since 1925 and that Gillette bought Roth-Büchner in 1926/27 because that company was so successful. So I thought, that that can't just have been in the year 1925 and there surely must have been loads of razors under the brands of Rotbart and/or Mond-Extra. But I could actually find none at all. Not a single razor. So where are their products from before 1925?

Btw. replating of just that razor by a local company would cost me three times as much as the razor. Luckily I have a bit more stuff to plate.

And btw. the box above shows a three-hole blade. So I guess it is from about 1925-1930.

R

romsitsa

I think I have a picture of an Otto Roth Rotbart, somewhere, but I suspect they didn’t mass produce razors under that label, blades and machines were his main business.
Büchner sold razors under the name Luna, Mond and Mond-Extra were his blades.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Something like this, although the razor itself is not really visible.

C613DEE3-0ACC-4164-A722-B82D616B54C6.jpeg

Adam

I got today this razor. I fits in many existing threads, but this here is probably the most specific one.

It looks to me like a standard set. Knob diameter is a bit over 11mm. I believe the razor is nickel plated, but the plating is flaking off the top head, which I haven't seen yet with nickel. The head is basically a NEW Short Comb, but the short comb is even shorter.

Rotbart-NEW-SC-1.jpg
Rotbart-NEW-SC-2.jpg
Rotbart-NEW-SC-3.jpg

I found on ebay a razor which looks like a Single Ring with a thick cap head with just a Rotbart logo on the handle (the script and oval part of the fancy Rotbart / Mond-Extra logo). The parts are extremely similar to the Gillette's Single Ring, but they are not the same. Plating heavily worn and handle cracked. I soldered the crack and depending on the shave it provides it will get a new plating. It came with a Trumpf bakelite case, which is to big for this razor. Will provide a photo.

And btw. the NEW SC above is not a NEW SC, because there is no raised bottom. It is basically a Old Type base plate combined with a NEW top.

Here few photos. It is a non-script logo. I have seen that on a Rotbart TTO, so I guess it came after the Rotbart/Mond-Extra logo. Top was bent downwards, as usual. Bottom was bent upwards, possible still from manufacturing.

Rotbart-1.jpg

Rotbart-2.jpg

A kind of holy grail
proxy.php
;-)

No !! Not a Rotbart!

Well, you know the Rotbart mond extra Razor.
Mond Extra and Rotbart were two different pairs of shoes.
In 1925, the Büchner-Werke AG (Mond Extra) and Otto Roth AG (Rotbart) merged into one company, ROTH-BÜCHNER AG.
In 1937, this company was swallowed up by Gillette.
But now to the Razor.
This Razor came from Hugo Büchner AG before it merged with Roth AG.
So an original Büchner Mond Extra Razor from 1925.
Together with the serial number in the box on the Razor, this Razor is probably extremely rare. Nothing can be found online or in books. The model name (model 1925) can also be found on the lower plate. I don't really know, but I think this Razor is unique in this condition.
Maybe one or the other collector still has one, but as I said. You can't find anything about him.
2.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
2.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
12.JPG
11a.JPG