What's new

And so it begins....no more expensive water bottles.

20240429_085208.jpg
Between my wife & I, we drink 8-10 bottles of water a day and go through 3 or so cases a week. I figure this RO system will pay for itself in a short while. The install will require removing the sink, disposal and drilling through a granite counter top, as well as drilling and routing water to the fridge for ice, etc. Wish me luck.....

Why not do as I do drink from Garden Hose, or Tap?

Water from Tap is safe in most places, yes it can be hard, but someone started the bottled water thing, and is making killing.

Remember in Military drink nasty water we put tablet in to make same, no one dies from dirty water after process.

Last edited:
View attachment 1837772Between my wife & I, we drink 8-10 bottles of water a day and go through 3 or so cases a week. I figure this RO system will pay for itself in a short while. The install will require removing the sink, disposal and drilling through a granite counter top, as well as drilling and routing water to the fridge for ice, etc. Wish me luck.....

Wow, that sounds like it could be a long day. I completely understand, that’s a lot of water bottles.

Well worth it IMO. I have been using home RO systems for close to 40 years and I would really miss it if I had to live without it. I estimate that I have saved thousands in bottled water costs over the years and it is so much more convenient than having to haul home all that water from the store. Not to mention that a well maintained home RO system often produces better/cleaner/purer water than is found in some/many bottled water brands.

Back in the 1980's live in ElDorado County California, we has E.I.D. Water it was from local wells. Kid of 12 came to visit, and wanted me to spring for Perrie Water. Told her I had secret water well water, filter through rocks, gravel, snow , it was good water. Refilled one of her bottle overnight, and left in refrigerator next to new bottle, chapless. She drank, and I chuckled as she was drink Tap water from E.I.D.

Buddy and I went fishing on American River, he drank from river, I drank from canteen from homer. He got Giardia, and lost 50 pound in 4 months, on America's River Diet.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
View attachment 1837772Between my wife & I, we drink 8-10 bottles of water a day and go through 3 or so cases a week. I figure this RO system will pay for itself in a short while. The install will require removing the sink, disposal and drilling through a granite counter top, as well as drilling and routing water to the fridge for ice, etc. Wish me luck.....
Nice, Ronnie. Let us know how it goes.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A system like that is not in my future as I see it at the moment, but a cold pitcher of water in the Brita is always in the fridge. It gets poured into a Yeti to ensure cold, clean water is always at hand. Those plastic bottles are beyond a nuisance, crowding landfills, littering roads, and spreading microplastics.

Man I'd have recommended refilling some 5gal blue jugs, not buying cases of bottles, that must have been expensive! 😳
Glad you have upgraded now, should work well for ya.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
We make do with Brita pitchers and countertop purification. Never thought of an RO system. Would like to see how you end up liking it.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
We had an RO system in one of our houses, and it was very nice. My recollection is that it only produced a few gallons a day, but plenty for a thirsty family. I don't recall ours requiring electricity. Be sure to keep up with the pre and post cartridges, or the production eventually plummets. I wish you all the best with yours.

In our present home we have well water of fantastic test quality and taste, so didn't have an RO system installed. We soften it with Potassium, and it is almost a health drink.

Despite all this wonderful water, I still must have my two small bottles of Pellegrino every day.

Good luck with the install.....At our house in St Augustine we HAVE to have a filtration system, The water taste and smells like sulphur / rotten eggs if not...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good luck with the install.....At our house in St Augustine we HAVE to have a filtration system, The water taste and smells like sulphur / rotten eggs if not...
Usually the sulphur/rotten egg smell is a byproduct of otherwise harmless bacteria in well water that eats metal and gives off sulphur dioxide.
The solution is to kill the bacteria and prevent a food source.
We moved into the house I'm in and it was horrible with the smell.
We immediately got an electrostatic anode for the hot water heater (they love those anodes) and also to turn the hot water heater set point to 143 F.
We have no kids here, so not a problem.
As an aside, the "recommended" hot water heater set point is in the happy range for many waterborne bacteria. Legionaires disease bacteria thrive at the recommended set point
There are other possible reasons for the smell, but the above is the most common.

Usually the sulphur/rotten egg smell is a byproduct of otherwise harmless bacteria in well water that eats metal and gives off sulphur dioxide.
We immediately got an electrostatic anode for the hot water heater (they love those anodes) and also to turn the hot water heater set point to 143 F.
As an aside, the "recommended" hot water heater set point is in the happy range for many waterborne bacteria. Legionaires disease bacteria thrive at the recommended set point
There are other possible reasons for the smell, but the above is the most common.
thanks for the info , its fine now though with the filtration system..

This is a great DIY project and a very worthwhile addition to your home: better than drinking out of plastic bottles on a daily basis and significantly more convenient. I've installed a couple of undersink POU filtration systems and of course then the relevant maintenance needs. The only real PITA is crawling under and in the tight place the cabinet makes. Not sure of your setup, so I'm not sure why the sink has to come out.

Someone commented about RO not making much water that is in some regards true, especially with an undercouter pressure tank: these if memory serves are not more than 5 gallons and I think the most recent one I installed is only 3 gallons. I can attest the one we have services the house for drinking and cooking needs with little issue. The only notable annoyance has to do with the out flow pressure when the tank is low and needs to be recharged/refilled. The refill cycle happens as you use the water, so if you pulled off a gallon for a picnic, it will immediately begin refilling.

Yours looks to have UV light as a last stage?

Please let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

The correct anode material is essential with heated well water. The wrong anode material contributes to that condition, and some others.

We found that Magnesium is generally best with well water. That is the usual factory installed anode on the better heaters. But most of the big box replacements are Aluminum, because it's cheaper. A good replacement Magnesium anode is about $45-50. Ours last about 3 years.

Replacing the anode regularly will dramatically extend the heater's life. Reducing the temperature is also very good for extending the life of the heater. If you insulate the pipes, the water can remain just as hot at the faucets with a lower heater temp.

It's all in and working perfectly. I will never figure out how the push connectors don't leak. BTW, didn't have to pull the sink, was able to reach the faucet after removing the disposal.

View attachment 1838357

Glad it went well for you. Sometimes what looks straight forward turns out to be anything other than that. I know what you mean about those push connectors. I replaced the faucets in our main bathroom and it just seems a little suspect. I check on them every once in a while and I always turn the water off at the main if we are gone for a couple days.

Nice work. Enjoy the fruit?/water of your labor... Thanks for the follow-up. A bit of tip regarding faucet/sink type installations.

I share a similar concern about leaks and want to ensure there are none. I don't like using paper towels for a couple of reasons, cloth towels are uselss for this task as well. I was fixing/replacing a toilet supply valve, hadn't done it before and it needed to get done quickly.

I struck upon the notion of using a mirror underneath the joint. It's impossible to not notice water, regardless the amount, on the surface of a clean dry mirror.

I've used the following variant ever since. If you need to cover a larger area, then carefully cover a cutting board with aluminum foil with the shiny side up. Making it as flat and smooth as possible: no wrinkles.

You'll discover nearly immediately if there are drips and this will allow you the opportunity to assess where it may be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom