What's new

Analytical, frugal newb in an opinion based world *sigh*

Hello Everyone,

Though I have completed my first full year of shaving my head (every other day) and face (every day) with a safety razor (Merkur Progress) while trialing 10 different blades, I still consider myself a newb as I've only ever used my Progress (with great success!) but still have trouble with other razors and I've never tried any of the usually recommended creams, sticks, or soaps.

I have shaved with no-name shaving cream (really dry, no slick, great lather but pretty poor) and Edge Shaving Gel (blue stuff. Just fine by me, could get bbs with 3 pass). Once I ran out of the traditional stuff I decided to try some olive oil hanging around the house (yup, straight out of the bottle. Just fine by me, could get bbs with 3 pass). The problem with the olive oil was not the quality of the shave, nor the price, but it took too long to shave and clean up. After applying olive oil to the face & head, you need to wash your hands with soap to get rid of the slick, else your razor will slip out of your hands. Also the oil left a residue in the sink. So cleanup was the problem here, took too much time overall.

Anyway, I got into DE razors because I'm naturally frugal minded (and I think they are cool) and I get off on saving even a buck. But I would not have gotten into wet shaving if it took any more time than shaving with my old cartridge. That's just how I'm wired... efficiency and frugality (my apologies in advance :p).

With that said I decided to research some of my brushless options (I don't want to spend the $ on a brush or the time making lather):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N_if_oHICL6tclflpuJuhMDsGCYRc_gT9EQqZa5bBZo/edit?usp=sharing

Here are my questions for those that have used all sorts of products:
- How many of the ounces are propellants in the foam vs. product? Maybe I wouldn't be getting as much product as I thought and that'd throw off the cost calculation.
- If a product is cheaper / oz. but is used up faster, is is really cheaper? I have no experience which type of product is used up faster per good shave... foam vs. stick vs. cream. Etc.
- Can all products listed in the spreadsheet be applied w/out brush? If so, does it use up more product and thus the cost calculations are off?

I fully respect the majority of forum members who enjoy the process/art of shaving, the products, and small amount of time during the day that it allows us to check out from our busy lives and have some time to ourselves. I do too to a certain extent, but I'm wired a little weird so hopefully you can take pitty on me (
:tongue_sm) and help a brother out. :biggrin1: Thanks!

Hello Bster13. I'm with you when it comes to being frugal. OK, sometimes I am just plain cheap. I have found, as you alluded to, that price per container or ounce doesn't equate to value. The Haslinger and Tobac soaps I have are lasting quite a while. I have used each for a few months and have barely made a dent in them. I also find they make my face feel nicely moisturized. It does mean you need a brush, but I save a lot more by not buying canned shaving cream, and you can get a decent brush for under $20,possibly even closer to $10.

Edit: by the way, I am unable to see the spreadsheet with Tapatalk, so I can't comment on it.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Some responses to your questions. I am frugal as well, but for me, the amounts f $$ involved in decisions about shaving products are not really worth much anguish. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

If you can, try not to sweat the pennies and just enjoy the great shaves.

- How many of the ounces are propellants in the foam vs. product? Maybe I wouldn't be getting as much product as I thought and that'd throw off the cost calculation. Impossible to calculate and not relevant

- If a product is cheaper / oz. but is used up faster, is is really cheaper? I have no experience which type of product is used up faster per good shave... foam vs. stick vs. cream. Etc.
How many angels can fit on the head of a pin?

- Can all products listed in the spreadsheet be applied w/out brush? If so, does it use up more product and thus the cost calculations are off? See response #2

Ok, you're may not be as frugal as I am or enjoy the analyzing as much as the shaving, but different strokes for different folks. :thumbup1:

Some responses to your questions. I am frugal as well, but for me, the amounts f $$ involved in decisions about shaving products are not really worth much anguish. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

- How many of the ounces are propellants in the foam vs. product? Maybe I wouldn't be getting as much product as I thought and that'd throw off the cost calculation. Impossible to calculate and not relevant

- Can all products listed in the spreadsheet be applied w/out brush? If so, does it use up more product and thus the cost calculations are off? See response #2

Last edited:
It seems like folks using hard soaps are always commenting that they last forever, so the pricing may work out even if you are paying more for a puck, so I get that. And I guess purchasing a brush will eventually pay off over time if pucks last a super long time. I just don't want to add something more to my toiletry kit (I shave at work/gym a lot) and I hate spending the time. I guess there is no free lunch. :p

I am drawn to the price of Arko sticks. I assume they last a decent amount of time. But if I just apply it to a wet face, against the grain liberally and try to lather with my hands, will it be ok? Yes I realize it won't make mountains of lather like if I used a brush, but if it's slick I'm perfectly fine with that and willing to give it a try. Thanks!

Hello Bster13. I'm with you when it comes to being frugal. OK, sometimes I am just plain cheap. I have found, as you alluded to, that price per container or ounce doesn't equate to value. The Haslinger and Tobac soaps I have are lasting quite a while. I have used each for a few months and have barely made a dent in them. I also find they make my face feel nicely moisturized. It does mean you need a brush, but I save a lot more by not buying canned shaving cream, and you can get a decent brush for under $20,possibly even closer to $10.

Edit: by the way, I am unable to see the spreadsheet with Tapatalk, so I can't comment on it.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Very well said. I concur....

1. Propellants in canned foam have negligible mass. You can assume that the majority of the mass is the liquid prior to being foamed.
2. Cost per shave is the number of shaves you get for a certain bit of money. For someone, a puck of DR Harris ($25) might last 400 shaves and come out to roughly 6 cents a shave and a puck of RR ($10, vitos type) might only last 40 shaves and come to 25 cents per shave. It's really all how you load the product and what type of lather you like. Foams hard because your control of over the product used is pretty finite. That said, I'm sure some people have logged how many shaves they get out of a can of barbasol and you can figure out the cost per shave.
3. I can't view your spreadsheet right now, so no answer for that one. Honestly though, any soap or cream can be applied to your face and be worked with your hands to build a lather, if you so choose.

I would venture to say that the sticks will be your best value. Have you also considered the environmental cost of manufacturing and disposing of the cans of foam? Environmentally speaking, sticks should have the lowest impact.

That said, most here are likely to encourage you to relax, try a few products till you find your favorites, and above all else, enjoy the process, enjoy your shaves. :001_smile

Thanks paintflinger, some good thinking there.

1) I don't know much about propellants, now I know a tiny bit. thx.
2) I'll look into that, and you're correct each person loads differently and we have more control over foam in a can. Hopefully I'll come across some posts where 1 user gives their experiences on how long different products lasts for them as they are the control.
3) Ok fair enough. I am learning Arko because of it's price and reviews on lathering, though hand lathering will not be as good.

1. Propellants in canned foam have negligible mass. You can assume that the majority of the mass is the liquid prior to being foamed.
2. Cost per shave is the number of shaves you get for a certain bit of money. For someone, a puck of DR Harris ($25) might last 400 shaves and come out to roughly 6 cents a shave and a puck of RR ($10, vitos type) might only last 40 shaves and come to 25 cents per shave. It's really all how you load the product and what type of lather you like. Foams hard because your control of over the product used is pretty finite. That said, I'm sure some people have logged how many shaves they get out of a can of barbasol and you can figure out the cost per shave.
3. I can't view your spreadsheet right now, so no answer for that one. Honestly though, any soap or cream can be applied to your face and be worked with your hands to build a lather, if you so choose.

I had not considered the environmental impact, but very good point. Though cans are recyclable, a foil wrapped stick would be better I assume in this regard.

I would venture to say that the sticks will be your best value. Have you also considered the environmental cost of manufacturing and disposing of the cans of foam? Environmentally speaking, sticks should have the lowest impact.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Analytical you say? Often less is more. Do things the way they work for you.

RIP Charles Roberts December 8, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
You can just use your hands to lather an Arko stick. But you can get a great synthetic brush for $10 and you can make lather for days in less time than it took to make that spreadsheet.
Kidding aside, from the products on your list and considering that you'll be using them brushless, I'd recommend a pump bottle of Kiss My Face. $7-8 for 11 oz and you can probably find it locally.

I think while the brush costs some upfront $, I think by using it, I would use less product per pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
A stick of Arko and an Omega brush can be had for less than $10. A little practice and it doesn't take much longer than slathering some canned lather on our mug.

Kiss My Face is also a good option, a brisk rubbing in the hands will generate mounds of lather in no time.

Either choice beats any of the canned foams I've used.

I haven't used most of the items on your list. I have used Edge Gel before I started wet shaving and I do use an inexpensive puck of shaving soap now (Van Der Hagen) which is 3.5 oz I believe.

When I was using Edge I seem to recall it lasting about a month (what is your experience with it?). My 3.5 oz puck of VDH lasts about 1 1/2 months. The Edge costs about $3/can and in the stores VDH is about $3/puck. I buy it in bulk and it comes down to about $1.50/puck.

The major difference for me is just that it's more enjoyable to shave with VDH than with Edge. The brush I use is $10. You can get a starter set in many drug stores from VDH for $12 which includes the brush, one puck of soap and a nice ceramic bowl that just fits the puck.

As you can see, money isn't really the issue here.

As far as the time it takes to make lather, it doesn't take much time for me. I just put the brush under the faucet, squeeze the brush and then rub it on the soap and then create the lather on my face. It's just less messy and more effective than doing it with your hand.

I get where you are coming from but you can be analytical and decide not to get into expensive brushes, soaps, creams and all the things that some people on here are into and still not have to use your hands. :)

Top Bottom