What's new

An under appreciated shaving soap!

I think they were working together and it was an endorsement.

Could be wrong.

I do believe this is correct. I also do believe the formulation of ivory in the early 20th century is vastly different than what you find on the supermarket shelves today. I would also argue that standards of a close and comfortable shave have also vastly been raised as well.

Sir, this is the very first time I see this recommendation engraved under the head of a DE razor! Thank you for posting. By the way, which Gillette is that, please?

View attachment 515019It's a 3 piece ball end open comb, produced by Gillette, from about 1921 through 1928.

Gillette Old Type.

Gillette produced Old Types with ball end handles before 1921, such as the Service sets and this Pocket Edition:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1920 Pocket Edition.jpg

But these are from the 20s, and they weren't serial numbered.

Last edited:
A lot of people shave using soap without bothering to create a real lather. When I learned to shave (with a DE) in my teens the family didn't consistently buy cans of shaving cream. Sometimes we'd run out and my dad would say, Just use soap but go easy on your shave. Shaving badly with minimal prep probably explains why I was so eager to switch to cartridges in my 20s. So, as others have noted, you could shave with Ivory but why would you? Especially when VdH and Williams and Arko are available quite cheaply.

In this print ad, notice they advocate a modified Marco Method. Instead of using a separate bowl, they build the lather on the face. I don't believe the ingredients of Ivory have changed.
Whether they worked together or an endorsement, the point is, that it works, and surprisingly well if the follow the Marco Method.
I doubt that Gillette would risk their reputation by endorsing something that didn't work. I am sure some won't have the patience to actually follow a procedure to produce a thick lather, as it does take a little practice. I am sure some will simply do a few swirls with their brush, and respond that it doesn't work well, and that's fine. It's for those who truly enjoy the manly art of shaving, and have the time to appreciate the different varieties, methods, and products.

Congratulations and enjoy the soap!

Since I don't enjoy the scent of Ivory soap, I'll keep using the lovely scented shaving soaps that I have. :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I haven't used Ivory in at least 30 years but I still remember how drying it felt then. I only used it as a bath soap but that's enough for me to avoid trying to shave with it.

I haven't used Ivory in at least 30 years but I still remember how drying it felt then. I only used it as a bath soap but that's enough for me to avoid trying to shave with it.
My own shaves with Ivory were finished with some time in the 1960s, however, I still have oily skin on my face, and if Ivory was removing more of that when I was 14, 15, and 16, and fighting with complexion breakouts on a frequent basis, that might have had something to do with continuing to use it back then (the greatest majority of my shaving experiences prior to maybe ten years ago have mostly blurred into very general impressions; I cannot recall my first several razors before a Gillette Slim with any clarity at all -- about 1964, I think).

I vaguely remember using Gillette brushless cream in college, along with canned Barbasol and Noxzema, but just not a sharp image at all. It's been 60 years since my first shave, this past September.

Top Bottom