What's new

An introduction to the forums

I’ve been lurking around the shaving forums, gleaning knowledge from you guys, for a few months now. I figured it’s time to step up and introduce myself.

First of all, I never liked shaving. I started shaving as a teenager with canned lather and injectible razors. It was generally a miserable experience, with ingrown hairs, nicks, etc. As I started to develop my personal approach to life, I found multiple reasons to reject shaving.

The first was simplicity. As I began to become interested in physics I was drawn to read about Einstein and his approach to life. According to legend he tried to drastically simplify his life so he could think about important things. So he did away with things like socks, and purportedly used the same soap for washing and shaving in order to simplify life. I figured I could do Einstein one better, and do away with shaving altogether, thereby not only eliminating all the associated paraphernalia, but also saving several minutes each morning that could be better spent on philosophical contemplation of the universe.

Another reason was the natural order of things. This was articulated by my favorite Stoic philosopher, Epictetus.

Young man, whom do you wish to make beautiful? In the first place, know who you are and then adorn yourself appropriately. You are a human being; and this is a mortal animal which has the power of using appearances rationally. But what is meant by "rationally?" Conformably to nature and completely. What, then, do you possess which is peculiar? Is it the animal part? No. Is it the condition of mortality? No. Is it the power of using appearances? No. You possess the rational faculty as a peculiar thing: adorn and beautify this; but leave your hair to him who made it as he chose. Come, what other appellations have you? Are you man or woman? "Man." Adorn yourself then as man, not as woman. Woman is naturally smooth and delicate; and if she has much hair (on her body), she is a monster and is exhibited at Rome among monsters. And in a man it is monstrous not to have hair; and if he has no hair, he is a monster; but if he cuts off his hairs and plucks them out, what shall we do with him? where shall we exhibit him? and under what name shall we show him? "I will exhibit to you a man who chooses to be a woman rather than a man." What a terrible sight! There is no man who will not wonder at such a notice. Indeed I think that the men who pluck out their hairs do what they do without knowing what they do. Man what fault have you to find with your nature? That it made you a man? What then? was it fit that nature should make all human creatures women? and what advantage in that case would you have had in being adorned? for whom would you have adorned yourself, if all human creatures were women? But you are not pleased with the matter: set to work then upon the whole business. Take away- what is its name?- that which is the cause of the hairs: make yourself a woman in all respects, that we may not be mistaken: do not make one half man, and the other half woman. Whom do you wish to please? The women?, Please them as a man. "Well; but they like smooth men." Will you not hang yourself? and if women took delight in catamites, would you become one? Is this your business? were you born for this purpose, that dissolute women should delight in you? Shall we make such a one as you a citizen of Corinth and perchance a prefect of the city, or chief of the youth, or general or superintendent of the games? Well, and when you have taken a wife, do you intend to have your hairs plucked out? To please whom and for what purpose? And when you have begotten children, will you introduce them also into the state with the habit of plucking their hairs? A beautiful citizen, and senator and rhetorician. We ought to pray that such young men be born among us and brought up.

That was the clincher. I felt I was on solid philosophical foundation by not shaving, so I wore a beard for the next three decades. I felt satisfied that I wasn’t wasting my time, my face was warm in the winter, and mosquitoes didn’t bite my face in the summer.

I developed a number of hobbies over the years, to utilize all my extra time. One of them was knives, and sharpening. I would often test the sharpness of a blade by shaving off some arm hairs. That led me to wonder sometimes about razors, but never enough to start shaving my face.

By this time my beard had substantial streaks of gray. I married my second wife, who had never seen me without a beard. After a couple of years she idly mentioned that she wondered what I looked like under the beard. I decided last May to shave it off so she could see my uncovered face, and then grow it back again. I figured that if I was going to shave anyway, I may as well have a little fun and learn to use a straight razor. That was the decision that led to my downfall, and the destruction of my personal (not)shaving philosophy.

I turned to the internet and discovered the shaving forums. I bought a Dovo straight razor, and then a few inexpensive antique straights from E-bay. I had fun sharpening them up, and learning the mechanics of the straight razor shave. It was challenging, but I could see progress from day to day, and that kept it interesting. It became fascinating to me to buy at a pittance an old razor that had been purchased for a day’s wages or more, and passed down through two or three generations, and then restore the old quality implement to functionality.

Some of my hobbies burned themselves out naturally. For instance beermaking. After getting sloshed a few times and developing a beer gut from overindulgence, it started to lose its charm. But shaving is hard to over-indulge in. The beard only grows so fast, and after the 14th pass the skin starts to get a little raw. With so many old razors to test, and then creams, oils, soaps, aftershaves, and then every possible combination of one with the other, it is hard not to anticipate the next day’s shave. I’ll admit, sometimes I’ve squeezed two shaves into one by shaving one half of my face with one combination, and the other half with a different combo. I overlap a little on the chin but that part doesn’t count.

I’ve had to extend the schedule for growing back my beard a bit. I figure that, if no one comes out with any more new shaving products, I should have exhausted all the possible combinations around 2070 and should be ready to return to my, formerly simple, philosophically coherent, bearded life.

A sincere thanks, and a hearty curse, to all of you on the forums that facilitated my new addiction!

Howard said:
But shaving is hard to over-indulge in. The beard only grows so fast, and after the 14th pass the skin starts to get a little raw. With so many old razors to test, and then creams, oils, soaps, aftershaves, and then every possible combination of one with the other, it is hard not to anticipate the next day’s shave. I’ll admit, sometimes I’ve squeezed two shaves into one by shaving one half of my face with one combination, and the other half with a different combo. I overlap a little on the chin but that part doesn’t count.

I’ve had to extend the schedule for growing back my beard a bit. I figure that, if no one comes out with any more new shaving products, I should have exhausted all the possible combinations around 2070 and should be ready to return to my, formerly simple, philosophically coherent, bearded life.

A sincere thanks, and a hearty curse, to all of you on the forums that facilitated my new addiction!

Welcome to B&B Howard!

Resistance is futile- you will...oops, have been assimilated!

Marty

Top Bottom