What's new

An Inside Look At The USPS

One of my drivers is a carrier and has IIRC 18 months before he can retire. I tell get out when you can don't bother trying to get a few more years in.

Does the USPS not work like other military branches were more years = more retirement?

Does the USPS not work like other military branches were more years = more retirement?

There are 2 retirement systems in play with the USPS, the Civil Servants Retirement System (CSRS), and the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). CSRS is the "old school" system that has been fazed out in favor of FERS. I know nothing about CSRS, and really not much more about FERS ( the Postal Service is very cryptic about the retirement systems). I do know that, under FERS, if I work for 40 years, I will receive 80% of my pay in retirement. When I am 55, I will have 33 years in, and be eligible to retire -- working another 7 years to hit the 80% mark will definitely be a "by the seat of my pants" decision.

After you meet the general requirements as to education, etc., there are specific requirements to enter the Postal Inspection Service. You can be a military officer, (can't remember the others) or a postal service employee. Takes more than just having a college degree.

If you meet the general reqs, you may want to consider this as an option. The PIs I met have all been a decent bunch of people, unlike some other Federal agencies, who shall remain nameless.

Top Bottom