What's new

An Eye for an Eye, a PIF for a PIF

At the beginning of the week, I was fortunate enough to win my first PIF on this magnificent site. I thought,. "what better way is there to show my appreciation for the generosity of the members of this site than to do my own very first PIF"..

So off I went to the shed and turned down a new brush handle. It's solid American oak, it can accept a 24mm knot, it's sealed with 3 coats of spar marine urethane and waterproof epoxy on the inside, it measures 54mm in height and, just like me,. it's not perfect but it's dang close! I'm also going to throw in 60 Shark SS blades (I know not the best but it's what I have)

So here's the rules for the PIF.
Minimum of 50 posts/45 days.
CONUS only.. (Sorry guys overseas)
Shipping is on me.
Reply with an "I'm in".

Give the reason you started your first PIF..

If you haven't PIF'd anything, let's hear how you felt when you won your first PIF.

If you haven't started OR won a PIF, list some things in your shave den that you know you COULD PIF! (Then find someone to give it to! )

You have to post pics of the knot you put in it and also give a review of the handle, (good, bad, or ugly).. I really want to start making these for friends or family or whoever wants to get started in this beautiful drug we call wet shaving!

I know it's not much, but I really wanted to give something back to this great community. I'll close the PIF on the evening of Sunday 22 May and run the numbers in a random number generator and pick the first qualifying post.

Thanks again for the awesome site and the unbelievable generosity!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I'm in! Looks awesome! I love those long handles. I thought you said next couple days, not hours. :lol:

My first pif, was one that I won. It was my first DE razor and my introduction to wetshaving.

My first pif that I did, was just some extra blades and soap I had just to try and give back a little since I have gotten so much help and encouragement from this site.

My most recent, wasn't a posted pif, but some things I sent a new member here. He posted he was having horrible problems with irritation and ingrowns, enough that he had a medical excuse for duty to not shave. I messaged him and sent him some cream, soaps, balm, and blades that worked for me and my irritation, along with some tips and offer for help. He just messaged me the other day and told me his face is clearing up and it's working good for him.

Feels good to help out with something I enjoy, and it feels great to be a part of a community of people that are so diverse and widespread, but are still willing to do so many selfless acts of kindness. It is a rarity in the world these days, and I am honored to be a part of it. I may not have a lot of stuff, but I am going to continue to help out whenever I can.

Thank you for the opportunity!

Last edited:
[MENTION=107505]redslayer8585[/MENTION]

CONUS?

APO/FPO?

I'm NOT IN but my first PIF was LaToja instant PIF in the Contributor's corner.

then Hey Troop which just went to one of our Marines.

New one in about a week.... Gold Ball-End, 30 blades, Arko, LaToja etc. for another AD member...

I'm in, please.

The first PIF I got here was not from a random drawing. It was a generous act by a member shortly after I joined, setting me up with various nice things, chief among them an EJ DE89 handle that I'd admired.

I was so amazed that I vowed to keep up the spirit. I've done a few PIFs since, typically with newbies in mind -- similar nice starter kits.

Having won some random PIFs since too, I think it's also good karma to keep doing them myself.

I am IN! My first PIF was because I actually won a PIF. This sounds like a corny script, but I seriously thought it wouldn't happen to me and that it was all an insiders thing. It isn't! I won a couple in a row and was just amazed. I thought I've got to give something back. I've done two PIF's so far and am starting work on my third. I'm not sure what exactly will be in box number three yet, but I like to include nice things.

I'm in! My first PIF was a Super adjustable and Injector. It was my first (and my only) SE razor, and I was quite pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it, especially for a first shave. I've won a couple of creams as well (remainder of a Coate's and a Colgate Lime can that I got yesterday!). They're a ton of fun to win, however my favorites have been the one I ran! I got an awesome deal on a flare tip SS and figured It'd be an awesome Newb starter. It's a ton of fun getting new guys hooked on vintage Gillette!

But my first PIF, was a 40's SS to my Brother in law. He suggested DE razors a few years ago. My wife pushed me into them for my birthday this year, and I was hooked. When I started talking about it again with the BIL, I realized he was using his original AOS set up and had only tried Proraso and AOS Sandlwood. So along with his 40's SS, he got a sample of everything I've used (9 soaps, 3 AS).

I'm in.
I have done three PIFs so far. I PIF to each of my brothers pre-war techs, feather blades, shave bowls, and tubs of Maca Root cream.
I also PIF'd a tech and a blade to a co-worker.

My youngest brother has jumped in with both feet and he is super excited. It is great to share in the journey.

I received a PIF of a shower shave brush. The soaps that came along was a very pleasant surprise.
I also picked up 10 durex carbon blades from the post office yesterday from PIF.

Last edited:
I'm in.

I've done one PIF. I obtained a rare unopened bottle of St. Thomas virgin island bay rum. I love bay rum and collect them. Due to this I decided why not let someone else try a unique and rare piece of bay rum history. I asked for people to show off their bay rum collections, 5 or more. Seemed noone else really collected. Thevez2 won the PIF because he was the only person who met all the criteria. Good person for the prize to go to anyway, he's an aftershave aficionado.

I've yet to win a PIF but hope to this time. Thanks for the opportunity.

I'm in.... awesome!!!

My first PIF is still in play. While I was working on some cabinets for my bathroom (and now kids bathroom) I decided I would throw together a simple shelf for this amazing site. Everyone here is so polite and generous!!!

I'm in. Beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

I just shipped my first PIF. I bought a mixed lot of razors and one was a rather nice prewar fat handled Tech. However, I already have a slightly nicer one. I then took a critical look at my den and realized that I had a puck of soap, an inexpensive badger brush and an unused stick of Tabac that would likely never be used. Chucked in some blades and offered it as a newbie started kit.

Never won a PIF.

I'm In, (I cannot resist as this is a fantastic looking handle),

My First PIF Won was an Active Duty PIF that was slated for delivery to my Sailors and that is where it landed, in their hands.

The reason I started my First PIF was in order to give back to this wonderful community that had given so much to me in the form of hardware, software and most importantly, guidance and knowledge. My First PIF hosted was for Two Straight Razors that I had honed and brought a fine edge to with the use of several stones that I had on hand and had ordered for much higher grit needed to finish a Straight Razor.

My Latest PIF was for a Full Starter Kit for Straight Razor Shaving that Included a GENCO Master Cutler, a Puck of TAOS Old Tallow Formula Sandalwood Soap and a Full 18 Inch Strop, everything but the brush was included for Straight Razor Shaving. I have not entered to win a PIF in a very long time and this is one I would be Honored to finish off with an exquisite Knot and use on a very frequent basis.

Very Generous of you indeed as this is a very fine and well turned Handle. Thank you so much for the opportunity and Excellent Craftsmanship:thumbup:

Not in. You did a great job on that brush handle. My first pif was an se razor I got in a lot of 7. I decided ses weren't for me and I ended up pifing all 7 of them.

I'm IN!
I would be happy to fit it with a badger knot, and be very proud to add that handle to my den.

I have been able to PIF several things, on B&B as well as to family and friends. There's no better feeling than having someone try an item, even something as simple as a new brand of blade, and have them fall in love with it!
B&B is a fantastic place, and the generous members help to make it that way! I'm proud to be a B&B member!

I appreciate all the positivity gentlemen. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading each of you guys' comments and it does my heart good to know that this community is as tight knit as they come. I look forward to hosting many many more PIFs in the future!

By the way, I can attest that one of the handles that I've made holds a FS 2 band and is an absolute dream for face lathering!
proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm in! I've got a 24mm finest knot that would look fantastic in that handle.
I've not won a PIF yet, but I've PIFed a tub of soap and synthetic brush to a couple of friends. I'm accumulating a few items to PIF here, and am looking forward to that :thumbup1:

Great PIF idea. I love that handle and if I had that I would have difficulty deciding on a whether to put a nice boar knot in it or a decent badger. Then again I don't have a horse hair yet (HMM, not a bad idea). Anyway, as cool as that handle is I am going to opt out of the PIF-ortunity (I'm not in) because I really have so much and I don't need to start my brush AD up again.
I do want to know if that handle is considered "substantial" in weight. One of our fellow B&B members (dcbahr) was recently asking about brush handles that are heavy or substantial. HE would love to get that handle with a high mountain or Silvertip badger knot in it. I found him a brass handle that weights 8 ounces (yes, one half pound...it is like a door stop) but I think he would really dig that handle.
*maybe you can post a couple in the buy/sell/trade thread from time to time (check the rules)

My first PIF was one I won from thevez2. It was billed as a PIF if a "tallow first" version of Williams mug soap. What I received in the mail was SO much more. One thing in the box was a pick of the most amazing (and hard to find) pucks of Williams Tonsorial soaps. Also included was a note to pay it forward in my own way someday.

I have since PIF'd 8 or 10 Williams and Colgate Tonsorial soap pucks (I blame the Vez) as well as a some home made soaps, a few vintage razors and many tucks of blades. I have been the lucky recipient of a couple more PIFs (some cool ones like a HUGE box of aftershaves from Kansaskyle, several soaps from Skypsyd & cvargo and some cool strop material from labrax come to mind)

I'll tell you this, I love to win PIFs (who doesn't) but being able to PIF to others is the most incredible thing. Like most men, accepting gifts from others is hard to do but being able to share the things I collect and enjoy feels almost like a selfish act because I enjoy it so much.

Top Bottom