What's new

An ER 100 Diamond in the Rough

I went on a typical antique mall/flea market outing a few weeks back. Drove about 2 hours south to hit some. I didn't find much worth picking up and was really regretting the trip. Finally, we were almost done and ready to head home and there was this old Ever-Ready brush laying in a box for a couple bucks. Normally I'd have passed on it due to it's condition. But I hadn't found crap all day, and no way was I going home empty handed. So I haggled the guy to give it to me a dollar cheaper, he pronounced what a great deal that was and all like they always do. I thought, "yeah, whatever buddy." This was an ugly damn brush. I had never seen anything like it. The weirdest color, some sort of gray or green, maybe black even, I thought maybe I'd be surprised when I get it shined up. Here's a photo of what it looked like....

proxy.php

proxy.php

And so, I got it home and got out the sand paper. After just a few strokes it became apparent that this brush was coated with something. I don't know if it was paint or what. It wasn't dirt and scum like usual. It was completely coated, and it was a hard substance. So I got some pretty gritty sandpaper and went over the whole thing. Soon I realized I had what I thought was going to be a nice looking handle, but it was going to take some work. And, I couldn't believe my own eyes, this thing was actually BLUE.

proxy.php

After that, I stepped it up a few grits and went at it again. I repeated those steps many times.... so to not beat around the bush...
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I decided to leave the bottom as I found it in the box at the flea market. This bad boy took some serious sanding, all by hand, I have no power tools for these things, save a dremel, and I don't even consider sanding the outside with that. So the bottom is still coated in whatever the hell that was.

proxy.php

In the end, I decided on a 22mm TGN Super Silvertip.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Awesome! What a beautiful restoration! Great job setting that knot, too.

Did the sanding pretty much eliminate the lettering?

EDIT: Gotta say that is gorgeous again!

Awesome! What a beautiful restoration! Great job setting that knot, too.

Did the sanding pretty much eliminate the lettering?

EDIT: Gotta say that is gorgeous again!

Pretty much. You can still kinda see the beginning of the "Ever"

It kinda eliminated my elbow too.

Like the phoenix from the ashes!

Great job. Just goes to show if its the right price don't pass anything up :thumbup:

Very nice work!!

I know there's text on the bottom, but perhaps some strong solvent could remove the goo on the bottom???

In any case the brush has got a really nice colour combo going on!!!

This is what I really look for in a restoration thread: photos every step of the way. A great outcome.

Did you use WOD sandpaper? What grit or grits?

Good on you. Nicely done, sir.

That's what this hobby is all about-Antique shops and Flea markets are the place to go, I have had it with the 30.00 or 40.00 dollar restores on E-bay. Great find My Friend Beautiful!!!

First step was 100 grit, but that was only due to the condition of this brush, with the coating or whatever. Normally I wouldn't dare use that.

Followed with 330, 320, 600, and I don't use fine sandpaper in the end. I have these fine 3M pads from the paint shop at work that I like to use. The painters told me they were equal to about 1000 grit sandpaper.
Followed with a rubbing compound, I use Turtle Wax rubbing compound.
Then Polishing Compound, also Turtle Wax, any brand will do.
Then Flitz, I've heard Maas is just as good.
Then Carnuba wax.

That is a beautiful brush!! Who would have thought that it would look like that once taken care of. Congrats on your find!

Also, thanks for the information about your sanding technique, should help me in my restorations.

Top Bottom