What's new

An attempt at shopping for a razor the old fashioned way

I want to buy a DE razor to try. Rather than just ordering random things, I thought I would do something different: hit up the old bricks and mortar.

I live in Lancaster County (Amish Country). Amish would be perfect for badger and blade shaving except...they don't shave once they are married... So I had to travel a bit. Using the wiki here I found that the King of Prussia Mall had a LOT of places that had shaving gear (supposedly).

Here's what I found:

The Body Shop: Had one cream that you use a tiny bit of. I like lathering up soap in a bowl. Nothing else available. Didn't seem like something I would like.

Kiehls: I'd never heard of this place before, but they had their own line of shaving products. No soaps, and no razors. Lots of creams, after shaves etc. I really wanted a razor, not a bunch of consumables, so I moved on.

L'Occitane: No razors, but a decent selection of products including a travel brush. Had a nice soap for $12 or so. Almost bought the soap, but passed to see what else was in the mall. I will probably buy this soap next time I hit up KOP mall.

Molton Brown: Listed here, appears to no longer be at the KOP mall. Hit their website (Molton Brown) and a store is not listed. Also no product at Neiman Marcus.

Neiman Marcus: they had a few items by Acqua di Parma but no soap, brushes or razors. There was a Creed section, but the rep said they "don't have" the soap anymore. I didn't visit the Kiehls area because I'd been to the store. They had a subset of the Art of Shaving branded products. Had a lot of promise, but I came up empty.

Nordstrom: A similar Art of Shaving selection as Neiman Marcus. They had a peppermint soap by Jack Black and a nice collection of creams etc. Nothing I was looking for. I did not see the Anthony Logistics products listed in the wiki.

Art of Shaving: Very cool such a store exists, but wow it's expensive. $30 for a single cake of soap, a cool brush for $250 and only 2 DE razors. Gillette blades and Merkur blades. That's it. I was pretty disappointed by this store, to be honest. Lots of nice handles for Fusion cartridges.

I made a serious effort to buy a razor in person and completely struck out. Disappointed but not totally surprised. The cartridge razor has completely taken over the bricks and mortar market. Only one store had razors, and a pitiful selection. Lots of fancy handles for fusions though and some cool straight razors.

I was most disappointed by AoS. They could have twice as much product in that space, but they really only carry their own stuff. A lost opportunity, IMHO.

If anyone has a suggestion of a great store within a few hours of Lancaster, I would totally drive to check it out. I can buy online, but this feels like the type of thing I should check out in person.

Joel

Unfortunately I can't say what is around you, but I think your best bet will be the internet, unfortunately. Poke around on the forums, there is a plethora of really good information and honestly you won't be disappointed at all with anything that is highly recommended on here. Second question, do you already have a brush and soap/cream. If not this is one of the most important parts of the shave. A lot of people will agree that they would rather have a nice brush/soap/cream over a DE razor if they had to choose just one.

Welcome to B&B!

Edit: just saw your other thread about buying the VDH kit.

Last edited:
I bought a Van der Hagen shaving kit (Stand + Badger Brush + Soap + Bowl) at Target for $20 and fell totally in love with lathering up with the brush. I can't imagine going back. That's why I'm hunting for a razor next. I have to know what all the fuss is about :)

joel

Sorry for so many edits of my previous post. Anyway, my best advice to you is to look around at local antique malls/junk stores for some vintage gillettes. If you can find one they are usually pretty cheap (depending on the B&B members in your area) and it will allow you to get a good look at the razor. A lot of new comers get turned off at the idea of a "used razor." However, any vintage gillette can be made just as clean as a new razor.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/USA_Philadelphia_Pennsylvania
Looks like you have hit a few of these already.
How close are you to NYC? Pasteur's Pharmacy has a HUGE unbelieveable selection of everything (or so it is written here at B&B- see this thread)
In Chicago Merz Pharmacy is truly worth a trip- Been there twice and it was like going to wetshaving heaven. See post #25 in this thread for pictures- the whole thread is worth reading if you ever get to Chi.

Cheers.

Wow. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm about 150 miles from NYC. Totally do-able, but not regularly. Pasteur's sounds AWESOME.

Joel

Check out Black Cat Cigars. They are in Norristown, PA. It's been a little while since I've been in there but they do carry shaving products. I bought some TOBS from them. Pricing was decent. They also had some razors and brushes in stock. Good luck.

You haven't mentioned trying your luck at antique shops. I would suspect there might be quite a few such shops around where you live. I see razors at antique shops around here, both SE, DE, and straight. There's only one brick and mortar store around here where I know one can get a DE razor.

The Amish do shave their upper lip, but I am told they use carts. I suppose if all you are shaving is the upper lip area, the carts would last a long time, so the price must not be that big a deal with them.

Ebay for Razors and Amazon and other sites for blades. Saves on bangging your head. Antique Stores are also a good place for razor handles.

Also if you're in Lancaster there is an antique mall off of rt 30. Last time I was there they had some vintage Gillettes and some straights.

Just go ahead and order yourself a Merkur HD and a pack of blades.. Gillette, Astra, Polsilver, something highly recommended like that.
You're not going to find any new razors in brick and mortar stores. But you might find some vintage ones at flea markets or antique shops.

I visit Lancaster time to time for work. As I recall there is a barber shop in the mall (cherry hill???). If my memory is correct they have a small selection of razors and I think they have some Proaso products. Might be worth checking out.

About a mile north of here is a mall with the stores you listed, plus a Sak's 5th Ave. The AoS Store has a bigger selection of Merkur razors, but that's about the only bricks 'n mortar place that I know of where you can buy a new DE razor. On weekends there is a constant parade of cars running north and south between that mall and a strip mall south of here. Getting out of my subdivision and merging into that parade at times can be a real P.I.T.A.

Getting started, or restarted back in 2008, I found a Travel Tech and some blades in an old travel kit that I received as a Christmas present back in the late '60's. That kept me going while waiting for blades ordered on line, and a Slim Adjustable purchased on eBay. The retail shopping trend is definitely to online, because it saves time, gasoline, and money, as well as offering a better selection. Why buck the trend by trying to find a needle in a haystack, or bricks & mortar?

I was thinking the other day that for all the trouble I have getting my neck shaved smooth that the Amish may have the right idea ;-)

Wow. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm about 150 miles from NYC. Totally do-able, but not regularly. Pasteur's sounds AWESOME.

Joel

Pasteurs IS awesome. Been there multiple times on each of my NYC trips and I'm coming from the other side of the earth - 150 miles is NOTHING!

Ebay would be the best way to go. Yesterday I was at a premier antique district looking for usually easily found razors and only found two that were not priced over $100.00. Every shop I went into told me wow you are the 5th or 6th person today asking for old razors. Another interesting mention is that while playing with a Schick injector I bought while sitting on a bench a man walked up and asked me if I collected when I said yes he asked me if I was a member here at B&B small world. In my area Southern California antique shop finds are virtually a thing of the past due to the increased interest as of late. Same thing goes for estate sales just 1 month ago I could go to any estate sale on the sale's 2nd day and clean up in the bathrooms now I am told by the operators someone grabbed all the razors yesterday morning when the sale started.

Ooooh dang yep I shpuld have mentioned the BST forum -1 for me. The BST is great due to not having to deal with bidding wars or terrible sellers. I am in the process of buying a razor via BST now that would have cost me double on Ebay.

Check out Black Cat Cigars. They are in Norristown, PA. It's been a little while since I've been in there but they do carry shaving products. I bought some TOBS from them. Pricing was decent. They also had some razors and brushes in stock. Good luck.

Yep. Was there last night (visiting my sister who lives in the area) and they have a pretty good sized selection of Taylors products. Picked up some almond cream and their traditional shave soap. Really cool place too.

Top Bottom