What's new

Ammo? Sure we have it.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I remember huge sales on factory LE ammo because it failed QC.
as with anything, be sure of what you are getting. Just because it's marked as LE doesn't mean its top shelf quality.

Performance-failure production in that grade will never leave the factory. It just doesn't (but see the edit). "Factory seconds", which are principally production with cosmetic imperfections, often does. Usually for a contract buy that was rejected in whole or part. And it should be so marked on the carton.

Edit: I will add this, as it is a sensitive subject for some. I am not saying that bad ammunition does not occasionally escape past QA at the factory. I recall Olin having an incident several years back where a number of consumer-grade lots got past production and reached sales channels. But the normal remedy is to recall the lots (which is what Olin did), and not let them continue through the distribution chain into the field. But generally speaking, the top manufacturers of the LE-grade and government contract production are very careful about in-house random testing before the container(s) leave the factory. The purchasing entity on a larger contract will then often conduct it's own random sampling upon delivery and before acceptance. And if there's a problem, the entire lot goes back. Then the manufacturer will either re-mark it for sale as a second (if it's a cosmetic failure), or destroy the lot if it was a meaningful performance failure. They will not just turn around and push it back out as factory A-stock. That's to clarify what I meant by "never leaving the factory".

A reputable seller will indicate whether they are peddling factory seconds or not. Midway has a huge lot of 223 Rem. tactical in seconds available right now. Clearly marked as factory seconds (rejects for contract delivery), and still priced an arm and a leg. It will fire just fine. It would fire even better if it were priced at 25-28 cents like it would have been ten months ago.

Always buy your carry load from a reputable source. Don't buy factory seconds for carry, only for practice. Factory seconds can be a great practice bargain. Just not these days.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Good point. Paranoia is a hobby of mine. I have fire insurance, life insurance, car insurance, medical insurance? And don’t get me started about my dental insurance?

Should we discuss supplemental insurance? I’ve seriously been considering Aflac? That little duck is just so damn cute. :)

Paranoia will destroy ya. Or something like that.

There's fear, and then there's healthy caution. You sound like the latter gent.

Ammo?? Yeah, I have it😁
Was rummaging around a closet in the basement and sabes que? Up on a shelf in an unmarked box....250 rounds .45 ACP and 250 rounds 10mm. All factory Federal stuff. Yep, life can be surprisingly good at times.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you....

Lol'd. You know, my wife is an excellent driver. She has drove many years without accidents or tickets. But man, when she is driving and I'm in the passenger seat? I am white knuckling the dash...

Is it because I'm paranoid? Naw... It's just because I'm not the one in control. :)

OkieStubble

Ammo?? Yeah, I have it😁
Was rummaging around a closet in the basement and sabes que? Up on a shelf in an unmarked box....250 rounds .45 ACP and 250 rounds 10mm. All factory Federal stuff. Yep, life can be surprisingly good at times.

I wouldn't mind finding a hidden easter egg of ammo in my house, but I keep all my ammo in one place.

Ammo?? Yeah, I have it😁
Was rummaging around a closet in the basement and sabes que? Up on a shelf in an unmarked box....250 rounds .45 ACP and 250 rounds 10mm. All factory Federal stuff. Yep, life can surprisingly good at times.
I wouldn't mind finding a hidden easter egg of ammo in my house, but I keep all my ammo in one place.
This (along with about 2,000 rounds of 9mm and a few hundred rounds of assorted other calibers) was not gonna fit in the safe. Really should have gotten a bigger safe. 😳

Ammo?? Yeah, I have it😁
Was rummaging around a closet in the basement and sabes que? Up on a shelf in an unmarked box....250 rounds .45 ACP and 250 rounds 10mm. All factory Federal stuff. Yep, life can surprisingly good at times.

This (along with about 2,000 rounds of 9mm and a few hundred rounds of assorted other calibers) was not gonna fit in the safe. Really should have gotten a bigger safe. 😳
And to think the days of finding a $20 in a coat or pants pocket was a special treat, a quarter case of ammo or two trumps that.

OkieStubble

Ammo?? Yeah, I have it😁

I can't imagine what a bigger safe looks like than the one you already have. I'm pretty sure, safes bigger then yours are called vaults? :)

I have a dedicated storage closet for ammo. I do keep an emergency stash in my safe for all of my defensive firearms, but my layered security plan will have to suffice for the "hordes" of ammo I have. :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Ammo?? Yeah, I have it😁

I cleaned my car out last week and found 400 rounds of 9mm and 300 rounds of 5.56. Damn if I ain't forgetful but YAY! :lol:

Lol'd. You know, my wife is an excellent driver. She has drove many years without accidents or tickets. But man, when she is driving and I'm in the passenger seat? I am white knuckling the dash...

Is it because I'm paranoid? Naw... It's just because I'm not the one in control. :)

I feel you, Rob. a few trips to Cali ago Yvette and I spent a few nights in Big Bear and she gets a panicky call from her mother in Colombia (This is a hint to her nationality and her mind set driving). "Go get your Papi's insurance card now!" Off we go like a shot with her maneuvering a Mazda CX-9 like it's an F1 car. I was intently watching the radio and trying to stay calm like a man should but I felt the car sickness coming on and decided to look out the window annnnnd over the cliff! And I mean a "Dear God! If we go off here I have time to scream my lungs out, take a DEEP breath, and scream my lungs out again before we hit the bottom" cliff! She's never had a wreck either but I am pretty sure there were claw marks in the dash and I either wanted to drive or be left behind! I did get my revenge though... Coming back from Paso Robles (on another trip. I went and painted her new house. :facep: ) she told me to drive as she was sleepy. Down the 5 aka the Grapevine I barreled and all was well until Valencia when she came to and told me I would be driving through downtown LA on a Friday night. Not sure who had the whiter knuckles that night! :lol: P.S. Anyone who wants L.A. can have it!!!

Top Bottom