What's new

Ammo? Sure we have it.

Was in the LGS yesterday. Watched a guy buy this....for $38.00😱
Stop the madness
C30256A7-2CB2-4FFF-B295-4337B32F235E.jpeg

Tragic actually. Seems this poor pilgrim had just bought a new pistol for his wife and needed some rounds to put through it. I know this person and feel bad for him getting the short end like that. I see him around here and there, so I grabbed a box of 9mm out of my safe which I will give him just so he (hopefully) won't have to get screwed over like that again any time soon.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Yikes. Nearly $40 for a box of steel. And I was annoyed when my LGS was asking $11 for a box of Federal the other week.

That is thoroughly rapacious. That sort of dealer is not one I would ever return to. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Yikes. Gave my brother in law a case of 9mm and he told me the store was charging $50 a box for it. No need to say how gracious he was.

I was trying to get some 9mm other than FMJ as I just made a hidey stash for my 9mm and want a bit more soft tissue damage potential. Any way, NOne to be found. Called a guy that has a gun shop. I will save you the long , agonizing, irritating details of the conversation. What it came down to was, even though I have bought guns from him, he would not sell me any 9mm because I had not bought a 9mm from him. WHAT? I have been a customer even though you IRRITATE ME and bought several guns in here. UGH that guy.......

First in line at Academy again. $13.99/ box of 9mm isn't great, but I've got more ammo than anyone I know. Can't stop. It's like currency now. I guess if I run out of dirtbags, I can trade it for something my wife wants.

I was trying to get some 9mm other than FMJ as I just made a hidey stash for my 9mm and want a bit more soft tissue damage potential. Any way, NOne to be found. Called a guy that has a gun shop. I will save you the long , agonizing, irritating details of the conversation. What it came down to was, even though I have bought guns from him, he would not sell me any 9mm because I had not bought a 9mm from him. WHAT? I have been a customer even though you IRRITATE ME and bought several guns in here. UGH that guy.......

The issue is that he makes his living selling guns. It is harder to sell a gun if you don’t have ammo to sell along with it. Since you didn’t buy a 9mm from him, he wouldn’t be supporting a gun sale. Stupid times for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here semi-autos are in short supply. One store was trying to sell boxes of 50 for $50. They have an ample supply of ammo but nobody was buying it at that price - at least when I was there.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
That is sad, that guy probably paid $5.00 or less his cost for that box.

I’m willing to bet that some of these bandits are the same ones hijacking the WalMart trucks coming in, and clearing them out (at WalMart prices) before the inventory ever gets in the store.

Then they go back to their joint, and rip off the poor soul who couldn’t find any at WalMart.

The issue is that he makes his living selling guns. It is harder to sell a gun if you don’t have ammo to sell along with it. Since you didn’t buy a 9mm from him, he wouldn’t be supporting a gun sale. Stupid times for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He asked why I wanted them. I told him I had plenty of FMJ but wanted something more damaging. He offered to trade me HP for FMJ. BUT he then told me they were reloads. I encountered loose projectiles in his reloads of .38 and also had low powder charge? (less noise and bullet did not even exit barrel. I told him I would pass.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
He asked why I wanted them. I told him I had plenty of FMJ but wanted something more damaging. He offered to trade me HP for FMJ. BUT he then told me they were reloads. I encountered loose projectiles in his reloads of .38 and also had low powder charge? (less noise and bullet did not even exit barrel. I told him I would pass.

Others may feel differently. But I wouldn't trust my life to anything other than a LE-grade factory load. The QA is through the roof on the LE-grade cartridges, and the ammunition manufacturers spend a fortune on the technologies involved in design, production and testing to meet the FBI standards.

Yes, it's expensive even during normal times. But you won't be shooting much of it. Most people can get by with just a single box of LE cartridges. If it were me, and I had absolutely nothing on hand, I would buy once and cry once at $1+ a round for it. In this craziness, you will likely need to overpay for it. But again, you won't need much of it.

I understand that finding it is the problem. But why risk your life over pennies on a round?

The Bone Frog guy was selling it a while back at a big markup. Or you can submit to the ammoseek mayhem, and someone will have it for an arm and perhaps a leg.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have to go to the Sporting Goods store for some long rifle ammo soon. Hoping the rifle calibers haven't gotten that crazy on price.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Others may feel differently. But I wouldn't trust my life to anything other than a LE-grade factory load. The QA is through the roof on the LE-grade cartridges, and the ammunition manufacturers spend a fortune on the technologies involved in design, production and testing to meet the FBI standards.

Yes, it's expensive even during normal times. But you won't be shooting much of it. Most people can get by with just a single box of LE cartridges. If it were me, and I had absolutely nothing on hand, I would buy once and cry once at $1+ a round for it. In this craziness, you will likely need to overpay for it. But again, you won't need much of it.

I understand that finding it is the problem. But why risk your life over pennies on a round?

The Bone Frog guy was selling it a while back at a big markup. Or you can submit to the ammoseek mayhem, and someone will have it for an arm and perhaps a leg.
Well said.

I do VERY little practice with those rounds, but yeah, 50 cents to dollar ain't gonna kill me, lol.

Couldn't resist that poor attempt at humour, which reminds me, my version of humour and udder people's used to get me bloody noses back in the day.

I'm living proof that drinking the hard stuff and handguns are a terrible mix. Not only was I bullet proof, I was also a self proclaimed comedian.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
There's a local store here that is known for high prices on ammo and firearms. I've never bought ammo from them because every time I've been in there I'm shocked at the prices. And this has been BEFORE all the madness of today. I can't imagine what they are charging now, not even going to go find out. If I had to guess I would say they are charging exactly this price in the OP.

Top Bottom