What's new

Ambrose custom Strop

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now. It has made a HUGE difference. Going from a Philly to the Ambrose Clasico is like night and day.

Been using my Ambrose Corto Strop for about 1 month now. Absolutely the best strop I have used. I had a couple SRD strops, a Tony Miller, but since using the Ambroski strop, I have gotten rid of them. This strop is BAD ***. :thumbup1: I cant wait for my New Ambrose Cordovan to come in!! Hurry Up Jose!!lol

Been using my Ambrose Corto Strop for about 1 month now. Absolutely the best strop I have used. I had a couple SRD strops, a Tony Miller, but since using the Ambroski strop, I have gotten rid of them. This strop is BAD ***. :thumbup1: I cant wait for my New Ambrose Cordovan to come in!! Hurry Up Jose!!lol

Jose is restoring my first razors and I ordered the Corto strop as well. However, I'm not touching it until I'm sure not to nick it. Starting on the Filly and I also have a vintage strop I picked up off the bay for $25 that I'm hoping bridges the gap. Really can't wait to get started straight shaving!

Mini review of my new Ambrose 'Corto' Spanish horsehide strop that I received this week:

Jose is offering these critters in 3 styles, described as:

• Clasico - 2.5 x 23", your basic & elegant work horse,
  • Delgado - 2 x 23", thin & classy; precise and elegant, abd
  • Corto - 2.5 x 18.5", short & extra firm.
I went with the Corto, mostly because I thought I would like the extra heft. It's probably just slightly (~1mm?) thicker than some of the other strops out there, and it does give the strop a nice, taut working surface requiring only very slight tension. Beautiful piece of leather; the strop felt great in the hand. I was initially a little undecided about the shorter length. At 18.5", the strop is a little more diminutive than some others out there, but the length turned out to be just fine. My strop came - at my request - with 2.5" wide cotton canvas rather than the 2" material that is shown in the pics (above).

I had some initial questions about the draw and was told that the leather and conditioning on Ambrose strops results in a balanced pull - neither too fast, like typical horse, nor heavy/waxy like some other materials might be. I found that description to be very accurate. It felt great immediately, with terrific feedback and indeed, balanced pull. I had a distinct sense of 'effortless control' on every stroke (this is hard to describe...). It just felt like there no surprises; I didn't hit any 'clams' - nothing. I'm definately no expert in stropping - but I probably stropped >500 laps on 3 razors when I got the Corto - each very different in terms of width, point type, and stropping 'feel' - and 'nairy a whisp on the surface. Every stroke was clean and it felt easy to maintain that 'control'. That's definately a first for me. The edge quality on the 2 razors that I have tried thus far has been terrific. So, in short, I like the consistency, feedback (sound and feel), and sense of control that I feel on this thing .

I like to support people from the local community where possible. Jose is a helpful guy who is clearly into doing the best he can to make a quality product of good value. He succeeds. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I have been using Jose's strop for over a month now and I can't say enough to the quality of this strop. Great feed back from this strop(sound and feel) and it is keeping a nice edge on all of my razors.

Thanks again Jose!

Jose ROCKS!
Looking forward to trying a Corto....:thumbup:

Got my Corto in the mail today. Man, it is a thing of beauty. I'm not looking to use it though until I get my stropping down on my ruprazor. Jose also restored and cleaned and honed my first razors. Looking forward to my first straight shave tomorrow :w00t:

Enjoy your new strop. ..:001_smileYou may find that you have more control with Corto than the ruprazor. Also pm sent....:001_cool:

Got a Corto Spanish horsehide in the mail this afternoon. Coincidentally, Jose had finished and shipped it the say day we'd spoken and I'd purchased it. Excellent service, but I'd already known that.

A little small, as I prefer the Clasico size, but I've got a smooth horsehide strop in roughly the same size. Might as well live a little, I say! Turned out to be no problem. I like 3" strops, where the length gives a wonderful amount of stropping surface, but as a 2.5", the shortened length fits well.

It's a barber end, which I know is Jose's preference, so it was good to have the logo at the bottom. The leather is pretty thick for horse, clocking in at 4mm. I dug it; the way it feels in the hand, gives a good firm grip, no matter which way I'd tried holding it. The draw is good. Smooth and quick, like satin really, without flying all over like you may have noticed with others. It's very reminiscent of the smooth butt horsehide I treated with 2 coats of neatsfoot oil, and gave a little extra break in.

I took a good 100 laps on a razor's edge I'd just refinished with a coticule. It honestly didn't take very long to get used to stropping with. I really like it. Between my new Ambrose and screaming_pig strops, I've got all my needs covered for some time. I've immediately taken to retiring my latigo and smooth horse strops.

I just recieved a Ambrose cordovan strop last evening...

This vid about sums it up:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Great, just received a text from my office that Jose's codovan strop arrived today but still 3 days before I get back home to enjoy it :mad3:

I love my Ambrose strop. :001_smile I was using a 3'' TM strop previously and was concerned about learning the X-stroke on the 2.5'' he offers, but I think there's something about the draw that actually made it easy for me to do it! That sounds exaggerated or nutty, but I'm serious. I'm a dreadful klutz, yet I can do a decent X-stroke on his strop. Go figure.

I'm seriously thinking of getting another, likely the same width but in cordovan.

Overall, I'd say Jose is a splendid guy to do business with. He did a rescaling job for me that I love, and turned it around in a remarkably short time, and always kept me up to date on progress. As I need his stuff and services and can afford 'em, he'll get my business in the future.

Just received my custom cordovan stop a few days ago. I was so happy I got it so fast, I forgot to write Jose back to tell him how much I enjoy it. I've had and used several and was looking to pick up another one on the "top end" side. I got it! Best move I made was reading B&B boards and reviews. Folks to put it simply, go for what you want and Jose will take care of you. I'm very please with this piece he made for me. The price, you won't find a better deal in my humble opinion. Jose will help you with all your questions and worries. Just a wonder piece of leather, highest grade.... just sweet. Thank you again Jose. You have made my day.

Just received my custom cordovan stop a few days ago. I was so happy I got it so fast, I forgot to write Jose back to tell him how much I enjoy it. I've had and used several and was looking to pick up another one on the "top end" side. I got it! Best move I made was reading B&B boards and reviews. Folks to put it simply, go for what you want and Jose will take care of you. I'm very please with this piece he made for me. The price, you won't find a better deal in my humble opinion. Jose will help you with all your questions and worries. Just a wonder piece of leather, highest grade.... just sweet. Thank you again Jose. You have made my day.

Yeah. The strop is wonderful. Jose is a great guy. You really can't go wrong.:thumbup:

I've had my Ambrose custom strop for 3 or 4 weeks now and can't speak highly enough of it. Not only is it greatly functional, it looks very nice hanging in the bathroom as well. I love the purchase that the blade gets as it drags across the leather. You can feel it working on the edge.

You can add me to the list of customers. Jose, if you ever wondered how a newb might find your strop, I suppose you're going to find out soon :thumbup1:

Top Bottom