What's new

Amazon introduces "Men's Grooming Store"

News broke today about Amazon introducing a "Men's Grooming Store" section of their vast online retailing website.

When I first heard about this, I thought "Oh wow, maybe there has been some significant culture shift, and there will be promotion of a return to traditional wet shaving / DE / straight razors :straight:. Well, perhaps I was a bit too optimistic at first. Unfortunately, most of us still live in societies and cultures in which advertisements for big corporations like Gillette, Axe and the like still have a big influence on the public opinion of what "the best" grooming tools are (but hey, maybe you like Axe and Gillette ... I know I prefer my DEs and some TOBS or Proraso). Although it is a step in the right direction for Amazon to even create a space dedicated to sales of Men's Grooming (and perhaps it's creation might even be a consequence of some of the noise we make in our little corner of the internet here at B&B), the content of that space is, in my opinion, where the right information and culture is still lacking.

Upon first glance of the web-page, there is a big section that they are promoting up-front which invites you to "DISCOVER THE LOST ART OF SHAVING", which takes you to the "shave" section of the Amazon men's grooming store. This is where I started to get disappointed. The first page of products listed on this page are the farthest thing away from "the lost art of shaving" as you can get. The first page, (and most subsequent pages) consisted of various trimmers, trimmer head replacements, cartridge razors, nose and ear trimmers and the like, without a brush, puck of soap or DE razor in sight :a36:. In fact, out of the first 48 products listed after users are invited to "discover the lost art of shaving", I could only find 4 items even remotely related to classical wet shaving, namely a VDH set, a tweezerman brush, a 10 pack of Merkur blades and a 100 pack of Derby blades. I realize that trimmers and cartridge razors are what most of the public buys, but I just thought it was a little bold, and misleading of Amazon to link to a list of products offered on their site that they claimed would allow you to "discover the lost art of shaving" when 0% percent of the products on the first page and 8% of the products on the first two pages are actually related to classical wet shaving. To be fair, on the 3rd page of groups of 24 items, I did find a bottle of clubman and the Proraso Pre-shave cream, however it was listed alongside more cartridges and cans of goop .... so I'll let you be the judge of how big of an effort Amazon is making to differentiate "the lost art of shaving" and newer products.

So maybe I was looking in the wrong place (hard to believe though, since they were the one's who claimed I would be able to "discover the lost art of shaving" by clicking their link!) Back to the main Men's Grooming portion of the site, I find another feature that gets my hopes up, a section that says "Shaving How-To Guide by Men's Fitness", which takes you to a "5 steps to the perfect shave" list of shaving products classified into shaving scrubs, shaving gels, replacement blades, electric shavers and trimmers. Again, there was not one product (potentially barring some of the facial scrubs, which I personally find dries out my skin if I use them before a shave) listed on this main page related to classical wet shaving. Using many of the products they are promoting will not get you anywhere near "the perfect shave", furthermore, it is probably because of the use of these very products that drove myself and most of the members of B&B to ACTUALLY understanding the lost art of shaving and seeking a better shave using more traditional products (hard soaps/creams/brushes/DE/Straights, what have you). I think what is most telling about these classifications is that consumers reading this list of the "5 steps to a perfect shave" aren't even given the option to find out about shaving brushes or anything other than goop in a can. Additionally, the category of "replacement blades" already assumes you are stuck in this cycle of cartridge razors and aren't looking for anything else like a DE, SE or straight.

Well, maybe there was still some hope. I shouldn't be let my initial excitement in the idea of an expansion of Men's Grooming availability be completely crushed by some poorly organized treatment of shaving options by "Men's Fitness" (whoever the heck they are). So, I head back to the main Men's Grooming page again and decide to check out the Shave section in more detail, this time not organized by the "discover the lost art of shaving" link. Exploring the "Manual Shavers", "Shave Creams & Gels" and "Aftershaves" portions surprisingly revealed many more traditional wet shaving products, with the first aftershave listed as Pinaud Clubman (also on the first page were Lucky Tiger, Proraso white balm, Clubman Special Reserve and Old Spice), along with a few decent options in the Shaving Cream / Gel section (T&H cream, Body Shop Maca Root, Proraso and American Crew pre-shaves) which were mixed in with the canned goop. Unfortunately I only found one DE, an EJ89 snuck in with the first page of Manual Shavers section, which was overpopulated with multiblade cartridges. While these sections revealed some (IMO) better options for shaving gear, there was still a majority of stuff I was trying to move away from when moving to traditional wet shaving, but I did expect this as these are the products that dominate the current market. While I only looked at the first page of products mostly in these different sections, I did so consciously, since I figure that's the stuff Amazon wants you to see most, and the stuff that takes the least effort to buy by the general public doing a quick search.

The only slightly remediating section was listed at the bottom of the main Men's Grooming page, listed as "Kits and Gift Sets", which brings you to a list of shaving kits . This made me smile a bit more, as every item listen on the page is either an EJ razor, brush and stand kit or something along those lines. However, looking at the prices (barring the Deluxe Van Der Hagen set) which averaged around $100, made me realize the it is problematic that the closest Amazon got to introducing actual traditional wet shaving products to the average consumer was in a way that would turn most people off in terms of price-point, or even further, make them think that traditional wet shaving is some bourgeoisie, elitist venture, only available to those who can afford it. However the truth is just the opposite! Time and time again, the members of B&B proclaim to have switched to traditional shaving in order to SAVE money and stop spending so much on cartridges and canned goop (myself included)!

I realize that there are other ways people can find out about affordable and approachable ways to get into wet shaving (B&B is at the top of my list), however it concerns me that all of the great information, products and shaving experiences we share here so frequently, which may have been partly responsible for the advent of this Amazon Men's Grooming development, has been largely ignored by the largest online retailers initial foray into presenting "the best" men's grooming options to the general public. I don't expect the capitalistic influences of Gillette and Axe to yield to overnight because of the activity on B&B, and I don't readily expect Amazon to pay more attention to B&B then then do to these large corporations. However, I'd like to think that this change in culture we have seen recently of increased focus on Men's Grooming and shaving has been accelerated and promoted in part by the quality, accessibility and breadth of information that is constantly growing on B&B. Amazon is an incredibly powerful company in that the products and vendors it promotes and makes readily available can influence the public's culture of consumerism, sometimes very rapidly. I can only hope that as we continue to make more noise here on B&B, and as people continue to find our forum for advice of all kinds, and that we all do our duty in spreading the good word to our neighbors and friends that there is a better way to shave, that a large enough culture shift might come one day to see Amazon or another large company in the public eye actually promote traditional wet shaving in a more comprehensive, knowledgeable and effective way.

Feel free to discuss and share your thoughts on shaving in our culture and what you think the role of Amazon or other companies should have in backing up claims such as "discover the lost art of shaving" with appropriate resources.

I'm not sure what the logic behind their "store" is. It looks like a hodgepodge of products thrown up on each page. There's Norelco electric razor cleaning solution on the first page of the manual razor section. I don't see how this is any better than just searching for products. If you even have the vaguest idea what you're looking for, a search is probably better.

I made it to the third paragraph before I stopped and checked out the site. I had to click four times to get to it. It's what I expected. I'm not sure if you've ordered anything from Amazon, but I found several traditional shaving products listed on the first page. I'm sure it has something to do with my purchase/viewing history. Baxter of California was right there on the navigation page.

Anyway, I'm not too concerned about it. Amazon follows trends and sells products accordingly; they don't set trends. Besides, I'd rather purchase from a small vendor vs. a big box retailer.

I find the "Recommended for you..." feature much more useful.

The only slightly remediating section was listed at the bottom of the main Men's Grooming page, listed as "Kits and Gift Sets", which brings you to a list of shaving kits . This made me smile a bit more, as every item listen on the page is either an EJ razor, brush and stand kit or something along those lines. However, looking at the prices (barring the Deluxe Van Der Hagen set) which averaged around $100, made me realize the it is problematic that the closest Amazon got to introducing actual traditional wet shaving products to the average consumer was in a way that would turn most people off in terms of price-point, or even further, make them think that traditional wet shaving is some bourgeoisie, elitist venture, only available to those who can afford it. However the truth is just the opposite! Time and time again, the members of B&B proclaim to have switched to traditional shaving in order to SAVE money and stop spending so much on cartridges and canned goop (myself included)!

Not only are the all EJ sets, they are all fusion handles.

If they are going to make a store, they should seperate the traditional wetshaving stuff to its own page. That way I don't have to look at edge gel when looking at shaving cream and soaps.

I made it to the third paragraph before I stopped and checked out the site. I had to click four times to get to it. It's what I expected. I'm not sure if you've ordered anything from Amazon, but I found several traditional shaving products listed on the first page. I'm sure it has something to do with my purchase/viewing history. Baxter of California was right there on the navigation page.

Anyway, I'm not too concerned about it. Amazon follows trends and sells products accordingly; they don't set trends. Besides, I'd rather purchase from a small vendor vs. a big box retailer.

I find the "Recommended for you..." feature much more useful.

I'm very familiar with purchasing on Amazon, and I, too have an extensive "recommended for you" list of traditional wet shaving products that are actually decent suggestions that I would readily purchase. However, that wasn't the main point of my commentary. I realize that people who know about traditional wet shaving have no trouble finding what they want to buy online either through Amazon or other vendors, large and small. Personally, I have purchased shaving gear from many different online vendors, both big and small.

While I understand that Amazon mainly functions as a vendor that follows trends and sells products accordingly, I think it's fair to say that they had some input in deciding which products to feature and how to organize their "Men's Grooming Store". In their decisions to organize this portion of their site, whether those decisions are actually placing products in a certain order based upon best sellers, vendor relationships or some other factors, I think that Amazon still has some influence as to what they present to their customers most readily. This was a big marketing push on Amazon's dime in the first place, complete with advertising and development, so it would seem to me that they probably knew what they were doing in choosing which products to feature and which ones to ignore. Again, perhaps that is a reflection of the market and the products' public popularity, but I'd like to think products presented on the website of a big company like Amazon probably goes through several decision making processes before they decide what to put where. Macy's or other department stores don't always put the most popular items in their flagship store window displays, but rather they put the products from brands they want to sell most and will make a good profit on there. To complete the analogy, I think the products most readily available on Amazon's "Men's Grooming Store" are sort of their way of putting something in their "flagship window display." Sure, you may be able to find that more affordable suit at Macy's, but you'll have to look through a bunch of racks. And sure, you may be able to find the affordable traditional shaving gear you want on Amazon, but you'll have to click past the first few pages they make available to you when they tell you you can "discover the lost art of shaving"

I buy a lot from Amazon, but when it comes to wet shaving, it didn`t take long for me to settle at more shave centric sites, especially West Coast Shaving.

Besides, I'd rather purchase from a small vendor vs. a big box retailer.

while I understand that sentiment the truth is the majority of items sold on amazon aren't actually "from" amazon. They are simply a storefront for you to access products from small vendors who don't have exposure. Even "prime" products aren't necessarily Amazon product. They are simply fulfilling the order for the actual seller.

i see a big different between Amazon and a company like Walmart.

while I understand that sentiment the truth is the majority of items sold on amazon aren't actually "from" amazon. They are simply a storefront for you to access products from small vendors who don't have exposure. Even "prime" products aren't necessarily Amazon product. They are simply fulfilling the order for the actual seller.

i see a big different between Amazon and a company like Walmart.

This is true. I used the analogy above of Amazon being like a department store where you can find many products of different brands all organized together by function.

I think the whole men's grooming thing is looked at differently. When I first heard about straight razor shaving all I thought about was you can only get that at a fancy barber shop or you need to be rich. For the most part I am correct and I think a lot of people have that same thinking. Also in this instant everything world most people especially younger people barely have the time to type a full word in a text message let alone take more than a minute to shave.

Amazon I think is also jumping on a bandwagon. I have noticed more and more advertisements for men's grooming supplies, like razors (gillette and the like) and for shaving creams and after shaves. It seems being a "man" means having good grooming habits, who knew? I see no problem with using the modern multi blade shavers. I use them all the time because I found out I can not afford a straight razor set up. It's also not just the expense of the razor and supporting supplies, you either have to learn how to hone and buy honing supplies or you need to find someone who does honing. Which means owning 2 or more straight razors.

I see no problem with using the modern multi blade shavers. I use them all the time because I found out I can not afford a straight razor set up. It's also not just the expense of the razor and supporting supplies, you either have to learn how to hone and buy honing supplies or you need to find someone who does honing. Which means owning 2 or more straight razors.

I mentioned in my original post that I'm not placing a value judgement on weather traditional shaving gear is "better" than cartidges. If you think cartridges work well for you, I am in no position to say otherwise. I know what I like and what has worked best for me. I also know what "the lost art of shaving" entails, and in my opinion it has a lot more to do with traditional shaving tools such as straights, DE, SE, brushes, hard soaps and creams. The main point of my post was that it is slightly dissapointing to see Amazon jump on the bandwagon on the recent growth in popularity of "men's grooming" and make claims such as "discover the lost art of shaving" when they aren't making any effort to even make traditional shaving tools readily available. Again, I don't expect every member of the public to suddenly change their cultural values of how they spend their time and what they value spending more time on vs less time on. I was hoping (perhaps a little too optimistically) that the advent of a "Men's Grooming Store" might mean that the public opinion has shifted somewhat, and the increased focus on Men's grooming might attract more people to traditional wet shaving.

In terms of the cartridges being cheaper than straights, I'm afraid that's just not true if you extrapolate over time. Here is a really great article I read on Sharpologist, a website that Mantic59 writes for, about the cost of different types of shaving methods long term. While there are some generalizations made in how they figured out the bottom line prices, I think it is a pretty solid estimation of the different types of shaving systems, and as you'll see in the nifty graph they have in the article, the straight razor is not only the cheapest option, but it is the cheapest option for long term use by far. Personally, I haven't broken into straights yet just because I don't have the time to properly devote to get over the learning curve for shaving and honing right now. I also am pretty content with the DE shaves I get, so I find no rush to jump into something else while I am enjoying what I do now. However, I do realize that the straight razor is the cheapest option on the market.

I mentioned in my original post that I'm not placing a value judgement on weather traditional shaving gear is "better" than cartidges. If you think cartridges work well for you, I am in no position to say otherwise. I know what I like and what has worked best for me. I also know what "the lost art of shaving" entails, and in my opinion it has a lot more to do with traditional shaving tools such as straights, DE, SE, brushes, hard soaps and creams. The main point of my post was that it is slightly dissapointing to see Amazon jump on the bandwagon on the recent growth in popularity of "men's grooming" and make claims such as "discover the lost art of shaving" when they aren't making any effort to even make traditional shaving tools readily available. Again, I don't expect every member of the public to suddenly change their cultural values of how they spend their time and what they value spending more time on vs less time on. I was hoping (perhaps a little too optimistically) that the advent of a "Men's Grooming Store" might mean that the public opinion has shifted somewhat, and the increased focus on Men's grooming might attract more people to traditional wet shaving.

In terms of the cartridges being cheaper than straights, I'm afraid that's just not true if you extrapolate over time. Here is a really great article I read on Sharpologist, a website that Mantic59 writes for, about the cost of different types of shaving methods long term. While there are some generalizations made in how they figured out the bottom line prices, I think it is a pretty solid estimation of the different types of shaving systems, and as you'll see in the nifty graph they have in the article, the straight razor is not only the cheapest option, but it is the cheapest option for long term use by far. Personally, I haven't broken into straights yet just because I don't have the time to properly devote to get over the learning curve for shaving and honing right now. I also am pretty content with the DE shaves I get, so I find no rush to jump into something else while I am enjoying what I do now. However, I do realize that the straight razor is the cheapest option on the market.

I did not intend my post to infer you were saying one was better than the other. I would personally love to start straight razor shaving. I meant it more to be what the public thinks and is being told.

Yes over time the straight razor may be the cheaper way to go. But what is not factored in is that some people need to shave on at least an every other day basis. So for me to put away the money for a straight I would need to stop shaving for several months to a year in order to be able to afford one. It is easier short term to buy $20 cartridges than it is to not shave and put that $20 away. If maybe I had some extra income it would be better long term to save for a straight. As it is my money is counted down to the last cent. So when things like less hours at work occurred more recently my belt got even tighter.

From the looks of things it's just promoting what i can pick up at my local Boots or Pharmacy.

Amazon UK has a Traditional Shaving section in the Beauty/Shaving section.

Last edited:
Top Bottom