What's new

Am I the only one who can only get a couple shaves out of a blade?

Anyway, back to our topic, I don't think that a steep angle lowers your blade life, and I don't think that a shallow one will make the blade last longer. I think that it has a lot to do with misinterpretations on how sharp the blade actually is. Because I can't see any scenario, right now, where I would think that a blade will go dull after 5 shaves. I don't think that, physically, a blade wears so fast, no matter the technique.
I can't say for sure if blade angle directly affects blade sharpness. I will say that, in my opinion, razors that allow a shallower angle make blades feel sharper.

I suspect that a steeper angle puts more lateral stress on the blade, more easily bending the edge out of alignment. It's possible that the difference is so minor as to make no detectable difference.

I've also read that corrosion dulls a blade faster than shaving by an order of magnitude. If that is true, then drying the blade is more important for longevity than blade angle.

One thing that will definately wear from shaving, though, is the teflon coating. Research has shown that much of the tugging sensation is due to the severed hair proteins bonding to the steel blade. Teflon is basically chemically inert, so the cut stubble doesn't stick to the blade. It stands to reason that slicker lather, softer hair, smoother skin, better prep will help preserve the teflon coating and help blades feel sharper longer.

There is also the angle at which the hair grows out from the face, which varies between persons and where on any particular face is being shaved. That, of course, means that a razor that works well for one person may not for another, especially "mild" razors with limited blade gap and exposure.

If your face requires more angle than a mild razor will give you, you won't get good or comfortable shave with it. I personally gave up shaving WTG forty plus years ago, it's a total waste of time for me. To passes ATG at slightly different angles gets me close to BBS with great comfort, all at a very shallow angle. I can absolutely assure you that shaving like this will NOT work for everyone!

There is also the angle at which the hair grows out from the face, which varies between persons and where on any particular face is being shaved. That, of course, means that a razor that works well for one person may not for another, especially "mild" razors with limited blade gap and exposure.

If your face requires more angle than a mild razor will give you, you won't get good or comfortable shave with it. I personally gave up shaving WTG forty plus years ago, it's a total waste of time for me. To passes ATG at slightly different angles gets me close to BBS with great comfort, all at a very shallow angle. I can absolutely assure you that shaving like this will NOT work for everyone!
I understand exactly what you're saying. When I tell people that I shave ATG and touch up people tell me I'm crazy, that there's absolutely no way that would work.

When I shave WTG, pretty much no matter what razor/blade, I get a bunch of tugging. If I go more than a day I have to shave WTG, grin and bear the the tugging, as the price for being lazy. Sometimes I pre-shave with an electric razor to knock my wire whiskers down to a shave-able length (if I go more than a day without shaving), which is about all an electric razor is good for in my book.

I'm all about doing what works for me and I'm glad you've found what works for you.

Let he who is without sin cast the first rock, and we shall smoketh it

When you count the number of shaves a blade give, do you mean per pass or per each time you shave?

Per pass being xtg, wtg and atg being 3 shaves ..

Hello there,
for me personally only use a blade for 2 shaves ,:meaning: three passes Wtg,Xtg, and Atg (+ a pick up pass if needed.)
What ever the blade it's binned after this, some people will won't agree with me doing so, but DE blades are so cheap, why make it a quest to get 8,10,15, 3 pass shaves from one blade. with a risk of getting nicks and irritation...Lifes to short, and i wouldn't want to spoil my face, it's ugly already.:D..Regards.

why make it a quest to get 8,10,15, 3 pass shaves from one blade. with a risk of getting nicks and irritation...
There should be no quest involved; if the blade is shaving comfortably I keep using it until there is too much buffing required to achieve the result I want.
Nicks and cuts are more likely due to user error.

Hello there,
for me personally only use a blade for 2 shaves ,:meaning: three passes Wtg,Xtg, and Atg (+ a pick up pass if needed.)
What ever the blade it's binned after this, some people will won't agree with me doing so, but DE blades are so cheap, why make it a quest to get 8,10,15, 3 pass shaves from one blade. with a risk of getting nicks and irritation...Lifes to short, and i wouldn't want to spoil my face, it's ugly already.:D..Regards.
Because the first shave on a new blade is as likely to cause irritation and nicks for me as a dull blade. My best results come from shaves 2 and beyond, until the blade is too dull to cut efficiently.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Because the first shave on a new blade is as likely to cause irritation and nicks for me as a dull blade. My best results come from shaves 2 and beyond, until the blade is too dull to cut efficiently.

Yes, I too am happy to get the first few shaves out of the way. I get a much better shave once a blade has settled in a little. I'm just into double figures on one of my blades, and it's performing really well with no scratchiness.

I get 2-3 weeks out of a blade, shaving every day, 3 pass shaves. The first day or two are not as pleasant, but the blade then settles down and is smooth. I use it until it no longer cuts as efficiently as I want. Light pressure and as shallow an angle as possible help.

Top Bottom