What's new

Am I The Lone Merkur Futur User?

B

bAkewelle

I like it, its weary good razor but is tricky to use.But after you learn it its great :001_wub:

The Future is an awesome Razor, Heafty and Solid made. Never have a problem with it being slippery, as i always keep my hands dry when shaving with Slick Chrome Razors.

I like my Futur a lot as well. It was my first razor. Keep a low setting at first for a while until your technique get's polished. The two main gripes about the Futur do not matter to me. First, some claim the head geometry interferes with certain parts of the face. No problem for me. Secondly, the slick handle, doesn't bother me either. I hold mine by the indented part and dry my hand off every time I'm about to pick it up.

Kudos to that after using for the second time today! Excellent razor!

Futur on 5 with Astra blades makes for a great and scary close shave. A recent Christmas arrival of a Muhle R41 (2011 Model) is waiting in the wings as we speak. Already loaded with the complimentaty Derby blade we shall see how it slices later today. It is such a beautiful instrument, I hope I'm not disappointed. Methinks my Omega 11126 and Cella (red tub) will come into play for the initial shave

PS...a rubber sleeve commonly found on many ball point pens can be fit onto the Futur handle with the correct amount of persuasion. I tried it for a while; did not care for the way it felt in my hand. I have no problem with the handle as is, but it can be roughened up with some sandblasting I suppose if you were inclined to do so.

Last edited:
I Use my Futur in my rotation. I consider it a Modern razor and not vintage, after a few years of all vintage razors it gives Great BBS shaves! I found what I consider is the right Blade match.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like the weight and balance of the Futur. I don't like the pop-off head or the un-knurled handle. When I was still using mine regularly, I rummaged through my junkboxes and found a piece of surgical rubber tubing from a project I never finished, and worked it on over the handle for a nonslip grip. It was the only way I felt comfortable using it in the shower, my preference at the time.

I love my Futur! It was the first DE razor I bought. Sure, I have strayed from the path, purchased other DE razors, and tried everything from the ol' standard to the sledgehammer. In the end I always end up coming back to my Futur. I load it with either an Astra or Feather blade, which produces amazing results with no irritation. For me, the Futur has proven to be a great value and earned a perminant spot in my rotation.

Cheers,
Chris

Followup on my post. Third shave in - this thing is definitely slippery. So much so I would call it a design flaw. I've been wiping my fingers a lot so haven't had a problem. And I know others have added things to make it less slippery. But there's no reason to design a razor with a slippery handle. A razor handle is one place where "function" needs to come ahead of "form". You reading this out there anyone from Merkur? Put a proper handle on this thing.

That said, I've used it a third time now and am loving it.

I own 2--shiney and matte----the shave by which all others are judged.

It should be the first razor everyone owns--that way you aren't wasting your money on inferior shavers------my other razors are no longer used---maybe the slant once in a blue moon.

Followup on my post. Third shave in - this thing is definitely slippery. So much so I would call it a design flaw. I've been wiping my fingers a lot so haven't had a problem. And I know others have added things to make it less slippery. But there's no reason to design a razor with a slippery handle. A razor handle is one place where "function" needs to come ahead of "form". You reading this out there anyone from Merkur? Put a proper handle on this thing.

That said, I've used it a third time now and am loving it.

I would be happier if they did a better job plating their stuff....

I wonder if the OP has been patiently waiting the last three years for someone to comment on his post.:lol:

It amazes me that a thread can go dead for three years and then someone revives it and it becomes active. This thread had 9 posts in Dec. 2008 and almost 30 in three years later at the end of Dec. 2011.

See you all in 2014.

Update: first shave with it today. Hardly able to describe how smooth I am right now. I can see my reflection in my cheeks. (used the Merkur blade that came with it)

Agreed! Futur is a fine razor, but how is it any imrovement over the Progress? In fact, you might even think that they designed the Futur first and then solved the problems with that razor when they designed the Progress. Don't believe me? Then tell me this - how do you adjust your Futur in mid-shave without any tools and without risk of slicing your hand? That's a big problem in my book.

I have no problem doing this. I just grasp the underside of the head, below the blade, and twist the handle. Easy peasy, and virtually zero risk of accidentally cutting one's hand.

It seems like a lot of negative opinions of razors are caused by those Merkur blades. Things should go better once you get the sampler pack and use a better blade.

+1 I got a much better shave as soon as swapped out that merkur blade for a darby.

Top Bottom