What's new

Alternative to Chinese Schick Blades

Title says it all. My reasons are strictly political, so don't go there. All I want to know is if there are competitively priced alternatives to Chick blades. I haven't used my injectors in months due to wanting to keep some of the existing Chick blades on hand and not buying new ones.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Ted Pella Injector blades? The question mark is because I don't really know their provenance, but they are typically discussed as an alternative to "Chick" (Chinese Schick blades). Some people like the Pella's better, some prefer the Chicks. But I believe the Ted Pella's are Personna blades -- I think I read that somewhere here...so it must be true :laugh:. I hope that helps. The nice thing is I believe the Pella's are cheaper than the Chicks, the downside is the injector is plastic and has a rep for being finicky to use. Some folks transfer their Pella's to their Chick injectors, so you may want to hold on to your metal Chick injectors.

Hope this helps. All of the above is stuff I've heard/read on the forums, I've been using Chicks and Japanese blades (Schick Proline B-20) for a while now. The Schick Prolines B-20 (don't get the B-30's, those are AC blades), are REALLY nice, but you have to hand load them into your razor (I use needle nose pliers) since they don't come with an injector key. There's a thread or two around here that talks about people transferring the Prolines to their Chick injector cases, and/or "stealing" the key from the Chick injector and putting it on the Proline blade holder.

I'm sure far more knowledgeable folks will be along soon to provide better information, or perhaps confirm what I've said.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Personna. Ted Pella sells them as does Supply and Amazon. Keep a few of your empty Schick dispensers. Made in USA!
"Brevity is the soul of wit"....Shakespeare was right!!! I typed 200 words and you typed 20, and we said the same thing!!! :lol:

I really can't tell much difference in the blades, but I really an not a fan of the Personna dispenser. I think the Chicks are a tad thicker and work better in my Supply for that reason.

Ugh...yes, in my short time using an injector, I have come to despise the plastic Personna dispenser. The blades are o.k., nothing great, but that dispenser needs to be fired into the sun.

Schick Proline B-20s. I keep one blade in a Chick injector and load the B-20s into it. Hard to get right now as i believe really only rakuten carries them. Maybe a few places in Europe. Never seen them for sale on a are based in the US. You can also get the Schick Twin II blades through rakuten (sometimes through a certain auction site. Schick also makes a Schick I blade (don't quote me on how they name it) that is a single blade, but made specifically for the Japanese market. I do not know how they shave as I havent used them. I've heard they're very much like the Chicks. I believe both the Twins II and the Is are made in the US for the Japanese market. Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Easiest to source will be the Personna blades, Connaught carries them along with the Japanese Proline blades. Keep an old empty Schick blade magazine and reload it with the Personnas as needed; the Personna magazine is terrible; some (the Prolines) don't have keys. Oh, and I think the regular Personnas are inferior to the Chicks, but YMMV as they say. I've never tried the Prolines.

Blades are definitely a YMMV thing. However, I do like the Personna injector blades, but despise the cartridge they come in. I find the Personna injector blades to be a bit too sharp on that first shave, but they smooth out after that.

Schick Proline B-20s. I keep one blade in a Chick injector and load the B-20s into it. Hard to get right now as i believe really only rakuten carries them. Maybe a few places in Europe. Never seen them for sale on a are based in the US. You can also get the Schick Twin II blades through rakuten (sometimes through a certain auction site. Schick also makes a Schick I blade (don't quote me on how they name it) that is a single blade, but made specifically for the Japanese market. I do not know how they shave as I havent used them. I've heard they're very much like the Chicks. I believe both the Twins II and the Is are made in the US for the Japanese market. Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Connaught shaving in UK and Rakuten

There are only 2 companies that make injector blades regardless of brand.
You have Edgewell which makes all the Schick branded blades and Accutec which is known primarily for the Personna blades. Any other retailers including medical with the exception of Supply are direct rebrands of either Accutec or Edgewell blades. Supply is the only retailer I know of that has their own custom edges put on their branded blades, what I don't know is if they are still using Accutec or now Edgewell to produce those blades.

What to look for on rebrands if the keys have 7 blades they are most likely Chinese produced Schicks. If they have 10 or 20 blades and/or come in a plastic injector key they most likely are Accutec made blades.

Price wise the Accutec blades are usually cheaper since they produce them in bulk for the medical industry. The Accutec blades are also produced either in the USA or Mexico depending which countries they are producing them for.

Edgewell they make far as I know their blades in 2 countries. You have the Chinese made Schick blades, the ones sold 7 blades per key in the yellow blister pack or the Japanese made blades which have Japanese writing on them.

The Japanese made blades come in standard single edge, twin double edge and Proline B-20 which are for things like hair shapers, shavettes etc. You can use B-20 blades in injectors but you need a seperate key to load them into the razor.

Usually Rakuten is the place to go for the Twin and standard Japanese Schick blades but they are closing down soon. Neither is cheap even with shipping.

The Proline B-20 Schicks and Personna blades by Accutec the cheapest vendor including the international shipping usually is Connaught shaving.

There is no alternative to the Chinese Schicks. The Pellas and Personnas are as dull as a rusty butter knife. And don’t get me started on the non functioning dispenser. Stay away! Run away! Chicks and only Chicks in classic Schicks for the best shaves possible

There is no alternative to the Chinese Schicks. The Pellas and Personnas are as dull as a rusty butter knife. And don’t get me started on the non functioning dispenser. Stay away! Run away! Chicks and only Chicks in classic Schicks for the best shaves possible
We will have to be in gentlemanly disagreement about that. In any case the OP should judge for himself. Blades are perhaps the most subjective aspect of shaving.

You sure you don't work doing marketing for Edgewell?

I'll give you that they are sharper than the Personna blades and the Personna dispensor is junky but the Chinese Schick blades are harsh as hell for about 2 to 3 shaves before they starting smoothing out. I would assume that is due to them coating the blades after putting an edge on them not before so. The other thing except for the modern Type L clone, I've never used a Schick injector that was overly blade dependent in how close it can shave. If you prefer a sharper blade that is your thing but it is not a requirement to get a super close shave with a Schick injector (assuming the razor can provide one) if you know what you are doing.

YMMV, of course, but in my experience only the Chinese Schicks provide great shaves. If you want to use a dull blade you are welcome, with my blessing

Top Bottom