What's new

Air rifles.

I've been looking at different Air rifles of late. Pellet rifles . I have a old Benjamin .177 pellet rifle that is around 25 years old. But it is weak and not very accurate. From looking on the "net" I see there are all kinds out there now. What has caught my eye are the new ones that only break once at the barrel and use nitrogen and have speeds up to 1500 FPS with certain pellets. Which I find hard to believe! Any input you guys would have on this subject will be appreciated. Here is the one that has my attention as of now.................JR
http://www.topairgun.com/product/PY-2052-4171

You're looking at Nitro Piston guns, basically a spring gun with a different type of spring. Springers are nice because you don't need anything other than ammo to go into the field. An excellnt line of springers, though they use coils not pistons, are the Xisico rifles. They are chinese copies of the classic european designs, and not cheap knock-offs either. They are less money than the orignal design too. Mike Melik at Flying Dragon Air Rifles imports/sells them, he goes over every single gun to check for function, but he also offers tuning services to smooth the action and quiet them down.

If you want to get your Benji going good again, give Tim at Mac1 airguns a call. Or send it to me for proper disposal, lol!

Figure out what you want to do with the gun first, target, pest conrol, hunt small game, plink soda cans, etc. Then figure out a budget. Next is caliber, but that is influenced by the guns purpose as well. Then power plant. Don't forget to include pellets in your budget, air guns can be extremely finiky about pellet choice.

-Xander

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
on a recent camping trip this past summer my buddy brought with a break barrel air rifle similar to this one. http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/break-barrel/30051
It might even be that exact one, but I can't be sure. Looked like it with the scope.

I sighted it in for him and we had a blast knocking cans out of the trees. We were all surprised by how powerful it was. I'm convinced it would take out small game.

Taking game is all about shot placemet...

proxy.php

That's done with a stock (internally) .22 pistol shooting 14gr hollow point at ~450fps at 10 yards. So, with good shot placement, taking things up to rabbit size is possible. But, to remain ethical, know your limits.

-Xander

on a recent camping trip this past summer my buddy brought with a break barrel air rifle similar to this one. http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/break-barrel/30051
It might even be that exact one, but I can't be sure. Looked like it with the scope.

I sighted it in for him and we had a blast knocking cans out of the trees. We were all surprised by how powerful it was. I'm convinced it would take out small game.
How well was the accuracy ? and what caliber was it?

I wish to thank everyone for their input! You guys have given me some more options to look at. I assume from what you all have said that nitro is the way to go. thanks..........JR

You're looking at Nitro Piston guns, basically a spring gun with a different type of spring. Springers are nice because you don't need anything other than ammo to go into the field. An excellnt line of springers, though they use coils not pistons, are the Xisico rifles. They are chinese copies of the classic european designs, and not cheap knock-offs either. They are less money than the orignal design too. Mike Melik at Flying Dragon Air Rifles imports/sells them, he goes over every single gun to check for function, but he also offers tuning services to smooth the action and quiet them down.

If you want to get your Benji going good again, give Tim at Mac1 airguns a call. Or send it to me for proper disposal, lol!

Figure out what you want to do with the gun first, target, pest conrol, hunt small game, plink soda cans, etc. Then figure out a budget. Next is caliber, but that is influenced by the guns purpose as well. Then power plant. Don't forget to include pellets in your budget, air guns can be extremely finiky about pellet choice.

-Xander
I'm going to check out Flying Dragon imports tomorrow after my computer comes up thanks!.JR

Which air rifle to buy depends the purpose. I have a lot of fun with a 535fps spring break barrel that shoots one-hole groups.

Gas pistons have the advantages of springers without the disadvantages. They can remain cocked, last longer, have a quicker fire, no twist... lots of good reasons. That being said, I have a Weihrauch underlever spring that sends pellets in a one hole group farther than any other air rifle I have shot.

Maximizing accuracy at distance is also partly a function of matching pellet to the gun. Get a pellet sampler.

Aim small, miss small.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
How well was the accuracy ? and what caliber was it?

.177 I believe. He had a tin of pellets.

I had it sighted in spot on at less than 30 yards. We were just shooting red solo cups though. and my "sight in" was a red solo cup with a bulls-eye drawn on it. :lol:

-Xander
I went to mike's website. Very impressive! to say the least. I'm going to e-mail him and get his help in picking out a rifle from him. Thanks ever so much for pointing him out to me. With all the searches I've done I'm wondering why he never popped up. Any way with your help I have found him and will get in touch with him. Thanks again and top everyone how gave me their input................JR

.177 I believe. He had a tin of pellets.

I had it sighted in spot on at less than 30 yards. We were just shooting red solo cups though. and my "sight in" was a red solo cup with a bulls-eye drawn on it. :lol:
I would think that was as good as any. sighting in is sighting in, I don't care what the target is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JR

I'm sure you will be happy with one. Don't overlook his tuning services either, he is top notch. He tunes guns for smoothness of fire cycle, not absolute power. All that power doesn't mean a thing if you can't handle the recoil and stay on target.

-Xander

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The price is right! What is your opinion on the accuracy?

Due to the lack of recoil, you can get amazing accuracy with proper sighting at the proper range limits that a air propelled projectile provides. I cleared a private land owners property from being over run with skunks in just two seasons with this rifle. In one month last fall I cleared the property of 34 skunks. This fall, in just a couple of days I took another 10. Each one of those 44 skunks was taken at an average of 30 yards, all with just one single humane shot to the head.

I honestly have not kept up with trends in air rifles.

I have two older Fienwerkbau spring air guns. The first a 124 sporter purchased in 1975, a barrel break action. I first installed a Lyman receiver sight and later a Beaman scope. It does have a lot of noticeable recoil, but will easily put all shots through one hole at 10 meters, and is good on small game out to about 30-40 yards.

The other is a model 300 target rifle, a side cocking fixed barrel model. It is totally recoilless, as when you pull the trigger the entire top action and barrel is released, and slides backward on rails, eliminating any felt recoil. Sights are precision micrometer adjustable double apeature type. The trigger is adjustable down to about 1 oz pull and rides on a little rail to allow forward backward movement, it pivots side to side and can be rotated right or left for right or left handed shooters. The buttplate adjusts up or down to allow for positioning for different shooter physiques. If I remember correctly the accuracy at 10 meters, the standard air rifle match distance, was something on the order of 0.03 inches center to center. I used to play with it lighting matches at roughly 30-40 feet.

Top Bottom