What's new

Air mattress, anyone?

With the approach of hurricane Ike and the influx of family and friends in my small apartment, I find myself sleeping (if you can call it sleeping) on a less than tolerable air mattress.

Anybody have any recommendations on a good air mattress?

I'm 6'1" 230lbs so I need something sturdy enough to support my fat@$$. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough we just went shopping for an air bed. Unfortunately the good ones aren't cheap, and if you're in the hurricane zone may be sold out anyway. Never the less Wal Mart has nice, thick air mattresses. I don't remember the brand, but they are really thick so you can't miss them. W. Mart also sells foam in varying thicknesses. Blow up the bed, unroll foam on top, don't let kids play on it (they tend to pop hence the reason we were shopping for a new one :cursing:). It ain't a Select Comfort, but it'll do in a pinch. Bed was round 60 bucks and we bought 4 in. foam which was 100.

Oddly enough we just went shopping for an air bed. Unfortunately the good ones aren't cheap, and if you're in the hurricane zone may be sold out anyway. Never the less Wal Mart has nice, thick air mattresses. I don't remember the brand, but they are really thick so you can't miss them. W. Mart also sells foam in varying thicknesses. Blow up the bed, unroll foam on top, don't let kids play on it (they tend to pop hence the reason we were shopping for a new one :cursing:). It ain't a Select Comfort, but it'll do in a pinch. Bed was round 60 bucks and we bought 4 in. foam which was 100.

I agree with Shep here.... I have a wally world special and i sleep well on it. Northern territories I think mine is. And the Fuzzy one is no light weight.

I'm not crazy about the cheaper air mattresses and the expensive ones were too much for me to spend. For an entire year I slept on a Slumberjack cell pad--normally used for camping. It is a thin layer of foam that you fortify with some air. Quick to prepare and put away.

for most people it won't be enough, but if you like to sleep hard anyway and you can put it on top of carpeting, it's surprising how comfortable it can be.

hmmm, the foam + air bed idea sounds good. But I think it might be worth it to invest the money in a "higher end" mattress, since house guest are becoming a more and more frequent occurrence in my humble abode.

Anybody ever lay down the cash for one of those pricey, supposedly better air beds?

I have a Coleman air mattress I use for camping. Works pretty well except the battery operated pump that accompanies it ain't worth two cents. :mad:

Anybody ever lay down the cash for one of those pricey, supposedly better air beds?

If you're talking about the Select Comfort air bed (price range from 2 to 3k), yes we have one. Do I love it? Well let's see...I don't suffer back pain anymore, and I sleep like a freakin' baby every night!

View attachment 30111

Hells Yeah I love it!

Worth every penny.

If you're talking about the Select Comfort air bed (price range from 2 to 3k), yes we have one. Do I love it? Well let's see...I don't suffer back pain anymore, and I sleep like a freakin' baby every night!

View attachment 30111

Hells Yeah I love it!

Worth every penny.

:redface: no, no, I was talking about the $200.00 price range air mattresses that one might use a couple of times to several times a year, but those beds do seem nice, just not what I need at the moment.

:redface: no, no, I was talking about the $200.00 price range air mattresses that one might use a couple of times to several times a year, but those beds do seem nice, just not what I need at the moment.

Oh...never mind.

Can't see paying that much for an air mattress friend. Ultimately they are just rubber and air. If they pop or split, you're out a fair bit of cash. And they alwaaaaays pop or split!

I picked up an air matress from Sams Club that is either 2 twins or one king (i.e. you can attach the twin mattresses together). The cost for the air mattress was $50. The mattress is comfortable and well made.

AeroBeds. We use them all the time with traveling, family get togethers. They take a beating and provide a somewhat decent sleep, considering your're sleeping on an inflatable bed.

Top Bottom