What's new

Aggressive vintage single edge razor recommendation?

This unusual "Gold Razor" is pretty aggressive. Not a common razor when I shaved with it she felt more aggressive then my OCMM.
View attachment 574270

I wish that I owned this (Military) razor! The Gold Manufacturing Company also made an SE razor called the College, it is quite mild and you can install an injector blade.

You can also check out the Shake Sharp razor. It is aggressive and uses a modern DE blade. You only use one side at a time and then flip it over when dull. Or if you use carbon blades you can try the built in honing feature.

If you shave with the Shake Sharp using a DE angle it will become aggressive and rough. I own a Shake Sharp when I employ an SE angle it becomes mild. Of course, everyone will have a different experience with different razors.

John, if you want aggressive, get a Superman razor. Crank the Superman to the widest blade gap and you can double it as a potato peeler.:biggrin1: I've shaved with the Superman on max aggression, it is like shaving with a blade on a stick!

$Superman SE 012.jpg
$Superman SE 014.jpg

Last edited:
I wish that I owned this (Military) razor! The Gold Manufacturing Company also made an SE razor called the College, it is quite mild and you can install an injector blade.

I have a razor similar to the College Safety Razor according to Waits also manufactured by Traut and Hine called the Automatic. Is it similar to yours?
$Auto matic.jpg

I have a razor similar to the College Safety Razor according to Waits also manufactured by Traut and Hine called the Automatic. Is it similar to yours?

Yes, it is the exact same razor. Below is a picture of mine. As for who made the College, my research lead me to Traut and Hine but also The Gold Manufacturing Company.

The Gold Company was located at 112 W. 42nd St., New York City. They manufactured Military Razors, College Razors, Vanadium Safety Razor Blades and Gold Shaving Powder. I can only conclude that one of the two distributed the razor as well, probably in the same way that the Christy Company also manufactured (a variant) of their razor for the Simmons Company.

$CollegeRazor 07.jpg

If you shave with the Shake Sharp using a DE angle it will become aggressive and rough. I own a Shake Sharp when I employ an SE angle it becomes mild. Of course, everyone will have a different experience with different razors.

John, if you want aggressive, get a Superman razor. Crank the Superman to the widest blade gap and you can double it as a potato peeler.:biggrin1: I've shaved with the Superman on max aggression, it is like shaving with a blade on a stick!

View attachment 574501
View attachment 574502

Holy cow you could plane a door with that cranked open. Very cool.

Cheers
John

Thanks for the info, pretty interesting razors and you can use an injector blade in them?

The Superman razor looks SCARY cranked all the way open:001_huh: when were those made?

The original version of the Superman was called "The Finney" named after it's inventor William C. Finney. The patent for The Finney was in 1908 and the patent was granted in 1913. Finney later sold the patent to Hubert C. Hart (in 1930). The Superman (my version) was first sold in the 1930's.

The Superman is unique in that it's one of the first single edge adjustable razors made. There are no dial settings to choose from you have to eye the blade gap.

Yes, you can install an injector blade into the College, it's very easy. Do not slide the injector blade via the back of the head. Seat the injector blade snug against the razor's nubs (blade stops) then tighten the handle. The picture below gives you better details. You can see I also have an injector blade installed in the College.

$CollegeBladeInstall.jpg

Holy cow you could plane a door with that cranked open. Very cool.

Cheers
John

How the adjustable feature works:

$Superman SE 013.jpg

The original version of the Superman was called "The Finney"
Wow thanks for the "how-to" load the college/Automatic razor and all the info on the Superman/Finney (Now I want one):lol:

So if anyone wants to part with one ...........

Thanks again!! Drumzalot

Top Bottom