What's new

Ageing without hoarding

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
So far I have 6 open in jars(each a different type of blend) and 5 cellared in jars(One empty jar). I’m making a small shelf so that i will have my 12 Tobaccos, and eventually 7 pipes. (I’ve developed a 7 day set acquisition disorder from straight razors) This will be all I need. I print labels out now for the lids and I put a date sticker on the bottoms. I don’t plan on having hundreds at once. I would rather rotate 6 flavors every so often. I plan on smoking the next several after instead of aging them. I figure from there i will have a couple blends I enjoyed that I can cellar for aging. This is my plan to keep from hoarding a dresser of tobacco!
Best of luck.

I now have a dresser full and then some in cardboard boxes as well as over 50 different blends in my "open" rotation...Its a rabbit hole my dude.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So far I have 6 open in jars(each a different type of blend) and 5 cellared in jars(One empty jar). I’m making a small shelf so that i will have my 12 Tobaccos, and eventually 7 pipes. (I’ve developed a 7 day set acquisition disorder from straight razors) This will be all I need. I print labels out now for the lids and I put a date sticker on the bottoms. I don’t plan on having hundreds at once. I would rather rotate 6 flavors every so often. I plan on smoking the next several after instead of aging them. I figure from there i will have a couple blends I enjoyed that I can cellar for aging. This is my plan to keep from hoarding a dresser of tobacco!

Sounds very much a similar idea to mine. Sample first, then choose favourites, then put a few aside, but all keeping to a set quantity :thumbup1:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
None of the guys posting here are what I would call tobacco snobs...OTC blends like Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh can and do provide excellent smokes. That being said, you don't have to pay much more to experience an entirely different world of flavors which are available on the market today. No one here is going to write you off for enjoying Prince Albert, I still love the stuff.
Well, in can tell you, the first tobacco I will buy for my start up is going to be Escudo! There were several I liked but I tossed my empty tins a few days ago when I was packing the contents of a chest - damn it. I’ll likely remember them when I see them though. I gave my pipes to a neighbor but he isn’t using them so I’ll play Indian giver and retrieve them. I had some good ones. When I gave up smoking, I started vaping and after a few years, I have no trouble smoking without inhaling cigars so pipes should present no problem and I won’t have to worry about customs and buying from the EU 😃

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Actually, I enjoy smoking the old “drug store” brands that are still available. The lowly “Prince
Albert” still provides a fine smoke. I do very much enjoy the wonderful English blends but one can derive great pleasure from more “common” stuff.
None of the guys posting here are what I would call tobacco snobs...OTC blends like Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh can and do provide excellent smokes.

Condor is one of the supermarket blends over here. It actually tends to be a little more expensive than the Gawiths.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Condor is one of the supermarket blends over here. It actually tends to be a little more expensive than the Gawiths.
I have had Gawiths. We still have a few of the oldies still available mail order in pound cans. Most of my snuff (never gave that up) are English. I do have some Toque and Dholakia Kamal (strong stuff) and three Fribourg & Treyer flavors. Just had a hit of F &T High Dry Toast - a favorite.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Toques are great. Berwick Brown, Ambrosia, Spanish Gem, Cherry, Toffee, Vanilla, Blueberry, Pomegranate... all favourites.

Toque now sell the old 50g tins of Fribourg and Treyer too, which Wilsons can't sell in the UK due to changes in packaging regs. Old Paris, Santa Domingo, and Princes are my top three from them.

Wilsons lost so many of my favourites in the EU TPD fiasco, but Best Dark, Grand Cairo, Tom Buck, Brunswick, Royal George all survived. Chocolate has since returned under the new monica of Africa. I hope one day that Burgundy, Thyme and Lemon, Irish Coffee, Chocolate Orange, and Rum and Blackberry return. I do have reserves of a couple of them, but not all.

Wilsons also made some excellent snuffs for Mullins and Westley. Jocks Choice, Mature Crumbled, Rumba, Emerald Mocha. All excellent. Only a few grams left of those. Not sure if any of those survived.

Sam Gawiths were the biggest loss for me, and Jaxons and Viking had some wonderful commission snuffs from them. It wasn't just the EU TPD, but remerging with the other Gawith, and leaving the old grinder behind. I got well stocked up where I could though. Mostly coarser grained. I haven't bought anything from any of them since, but I believe it's either Wilsons or McChrystal that's doing the production now. Gawith Hoggarth weren't as good, but did have a few nice ones. Ambassador, Cherry, Dry Orange, Mitchell's Special, Western Glory. All gone now, but I have a few dried out tubs of some. They do wake up when rehydrated though.

I don't think I have any Dholakia, but do have a few 6 Photo from India. They tend to be oiled, which is messy for me, so I don't have many. Kailash, Super Kailas, and Anarkali I believe.

I never got along with McChrystal snuffs. Too fine and dusty for me. I can't use menthol either.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice! I've done the same with leftovers or undesirables. I have two half pint jars that contain my "'Baccy Stew." I also have a jar with roughly seven to eight ounces of a mixture of a few dozen blends that's been sealed and aging for a few years now. I was going to press it into a plug when I first blended it, but never ended up pressing it.

"Baccy Stew" Nice! I have a litre bail top jar full of snuff labelled "Granny's Stew". Same deal. There was some truly vile stuff thrown in that, but it turned out great.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well, in can tell you, the first tobacco I will buy for my start up is going to be Escudo! There were several I liked but I tossed my empty tins a few days ago when I was packing the contents of a chest - damn it. I’ll likely remember them when I see them though. I gave my pipes to a neighbor but he isn’t using them so I’ll play Indian giver and retrieve them. I had some good ones. When I gave up smoking, I started vaping and after a few years, I have no trouble smoking without inhaling cigars so pipes should present no problem and I won’t have to worry about customs and buying from the EU 😃

I would love to see what you can recover from the neighbor!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Quick question on the storage of the samples...

As these 32 are likely to arrive in ziploc baggies (at a guess), and are likely to take me the rest of the year to work through them, how do you suggest I store them, so they each keep well, and don't cross-scent each other?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Quick question on the storage of the samples...

As these 32 are likely to arrive in ziploc baggies (at a guess), and are likely to take me the rest of the year to work through them, how do you suggest I store them, so they each keep well, and don't cross-scent each other?

I would use the sniffer to separate them into similar smelling groups, and keep the groups in separate jars. Jelly jars, condiment jars, whatever. The lids tend to have residual odors so a pickle jar may not be the best bet. Do they sell canning jars where you are at?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I would love to see what you can recover from the neighbor!
I’ll leave him a couple. I just don’t believe him to be a natural piper. I don’t want to see good pipes unappreciated i guess. I may go back on eBay and extend my collection at some point as well. I didn’t give pipes much thought until I came across these threads.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’ll leave him a couple. I just don’t believe him to be a natural piper. I don’t want to see good pipes unappreciated i guess. I may go back on eBay and extend my collection at some point as well. I didn’t give pipes much thought until I came across these threads.

:).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I would use the sniffer to separate them into similar smelling groups, and keep the groups in separate jars. Jelly jars, condiment jars, whatever. The lids tend to have residual odors so a pickle jar may not be the best bet. Do they sell canning jars where you are at?

Yes, in normal times. Under current circumstances, I might need to shop around a bit, depending on what's open, and what's left from the panic buying. Food containers and freezer bags etc have been a bit thin on the ground. I might even have a few empties that didn't get used for snuff (half a jam jar sized)... somewhere. I'll look. I might have got a couple of jam jars too.

I do have a vac sealer too, but don't want to risk squidging them into one lump, as that won't tell me what an unsquidged portion is like.
Condor is pretty highly sought after here in the states and from what I understand it is worth the inflated price tag.

I prefer the long cut. As ready rubbed, I can find the casing a little too much, particularly an any day any time smoke. I enjoy it, but have to be in the mood for it. Slowed down as the flake, albeit a thinner flake than the Gawiths, I think it smokes really nice, and I can smoke a pack without thinking "i'm tired of this".

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Yes, in normal times. Under current circumstances, I might need to shop around a bit, depending on what's open, and what's left from the panic buying. Food containers and freezer bags etc have been a bit thin on the ground. I might even have a few empties that didn't get used for snuff (half a jam jar sized)... somewhere. I'll look. I might have got a couple of jam jars too.

I do have a vac sealer too, but don't want to risk squidging them into one lump, as that won't tell me what an unsquidged portion is like.

I prefer the long cut. As ready rubbed, I can find the casing a little too much, particularly an any day any time smoke. I enjoy it, but have to be in the mood for it. Slowed down as the flake, albeit a thinner flake than the Gawiths, I think it smokes really nice, and I can smoke a pack without thinking "i'm tired of this".
I've never tried Condor, but seen it mentioned on several occassions by US smokers trying to acquire more after getting a little taste. It may just be a rarity reaction for all I know.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've never tried Condor, but seen it mentioned on several occassions by US smokers trying to acquire more after getting a little taste. It may just be a rarity reaction for all I know.

If you're the kind of smoker that has several tobaccos on the go, so you can pick and choose what you want at any time, it's great. As I'm more "pipe of the month" than "pipe of the day", that's why I can find the ready rubbed to be a little tiring after a while. Great tobacco, but I'm looking for blends I don't get weary of, smoking the same thing bowl after bowl. I can do a full pack of long cut, and have done several times, whereas I'm wanting something different after 1/3 of a pouch of rubbed.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I am that way with Tabac. I could be happy only using Tabac, 1 straight razor, and 1 brush

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I am that way with Tabac. I could be happy only using Tabac, 1 straight razor, and 1 brush

:thumbup1: I could do the same with Mitchell's, Edwin Jagger, and Wilkinson Sword Classic blades.

If I can find those tobaccos that I can smoke all month, it doesn't mean I'll never smoke anything else. I just want to sort the foundations first, and worry about the decoration later :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

This line up will be changing. One out, one in. One of my other pipes will be replaced too. Same level of tight-arsed skinflintery as normal. :biggrin1: I'll update with the full line up (my full array) when the newcomers arrive. Seems foolish to have a few more pipes than shown in this pic, and not include them in this exploration.

I also found a couple of clays that I thought I'd thrown out, so my pipe count is actually in double figures - for now. They won't be staying. I might give those another try though first. I suppose it would be nice to have a couple more ghost free pipes to hand for these samples, before I revert back to a set of pipes I can count on my toes.

It wasn't just how hot the bowls get, or the unglazed mouthpiece, but the fact I couldn't keep them lit, no matter what I tried. Flake, shag, ribbon, twist, or a mixture. Tight pack, loose pack, dried out to the point of being crispy - nothing worked. Maybe my temperament has changed since then.

Top Bottom