What's new

Ageing without hoarding

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
What are beer vouchers?
Please excuse me but I’ve never heard of that before.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Beer Run yes
But I’m still lost with Beer Vouchers.
George Strait

I guess I’m thinking you can only buy a certain amount of beer on certain days but I really don’t know.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good pipe day today.

My garden had gotten very heavily overgrown since I've been unable to take care of it, and I'd offered a neighbour some beer vouchers to hack it all down for me. He hacked the majority back in four hours, and got the space back usable again. He went and got some beer with the aforesaid vouchers, while I set up and loaded the chimenea. We then set up a couple of chairs, prescribed distance apart, and set the fire roaring, him with his well earned tinnies, and me with a big mug of tea, and put the world to rights.

For quite a while, I've just been using my Ozark Cherrywood and cobs for most of my smokes, but tonight I packed my Parker Cherrywood (Dunhill 4120 reject) with Squadron Leader, and fired that up. I haven't sat in front of a good fire with a good long smoke for far too long. All that was missing was a bottle of single malt, but alas, I can't drink on my meds That bowl lasted me through the evening, finished with no dottle, and the pipe cleaner I used afterwards came out almost clean.

Good day. Good evening. Great smoke.

Now I've got my garden back, I'll be able to spend more summer evenings out there, working through my inbound boxes of samples. Splendid!
That does sound like a really wonderful day! Thanks for sharing that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Beer Run yes
But I’m still lost with Beer Vouchers.
George Strait

I guess I’m thinking you can only buy a certain amount of beer on certain days but I really don’t know.
This is what I was thinking, I must admit. I figured he musta been stuck in a time warp and found himself in 1942, but I was too ashamed to admit I was lost!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I would love to see what you can recover from the neighbor!
Today was recovery day. I recovered two Peterson’s, a Savanilli Long John and a GBD (Great Britain’s Damndest?). Smoking the GBD right now. Also, a few posts back I said I had never considered cellaring. Turns out I just didn’t remember. I found a small jar of FVF and one of a bulk VA flake. Both marked 2013. My apologies.
743DE15A-DF17-4225-BEA5-1FDB9DDF303F.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I would love to see what you can recover from the neighbor!
Today was recovery day. I recovered two Peterson’s, a Savanilli Long John and a GBD (Great Britain’s Damndest?). Smoking the GBD right now. Also, a few posts back I said I had never considered cellaring. Turns out I just didn’t remember. I found a small jar of FVF and one of a bulk VA flake. Both marked 2013. My apologies.
View attachment 1104728

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Having a bowl of the Bulk flake now. Slight fruity sweetness in the jar but pure VA full flavor in the pipe. No detectable sweetness. Nice slow burn with no bite and very full and rounded smoke. Just how I would describe a Fullers ESB actually. I’ll have a bowl of Sam Gawith tomorrow in a Peterson. Having a good strong cup of Cafe Bustelo from the Moka pot. What a combo!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
View attachment 1104728
Great looking pipe! What a nice big bowl...also, some 7 year old leaf is a great find. Enjoy it!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Great looking pipe! What a nice big bowl...also, some 7 year old lear is a great find. Enjoy it!
I was very lucky that Sam, my neighbor,
never figured out how to load and smoke flake 😂. The pipe is a GBD and a favorite. My pipes were all dust covered and grungy so I waxed them and polished with the grinder. All like new now. This VA flake is wonderful!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
View attachment 1104728

Nice one! Did he take much coaxing? Zero to four pipes in one chat!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yet another failed attempt at smoking a clay.

Either they're useless, or I am :p

Clays are just kind of particular. Most of them are very small. The first thing to check is I’m how it draws when there’s no tobacco in the chamber. Feel ok? If it’s too tight try sticking a guitar string (preferable a wound one) down the shank to bore it out a bit.

If it draws ok, then your issue might be with the tobacco or the pack. I find clays prefer dry tobacco and the finer the cut the better. So, a relatively dry shag cut is perfect for a clay. Examples would be 5 Brothers for a Burley, GL Pease Pennyfarthing for a VaPer, Robert McConnell Special London Fine Cut for a Virginia, or Vincent Manil Le Petit Robin for a VaBur. Back a shag fairly tight (might tighter than ribbon or flake—if you pack shag too loose it’s burn too quickly and you’ll get a ton of harsh smoke).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
+1 Hirsute is the Pipe Whisperer. The bore is so narrow on a clay that any little bit of tobacco can block the pipe. Takes some getting used to and tamping needs to be light IMO.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Clays are just kind of particular. Most of them are very small. The first thing to check is I’m how it draws when there’s no tobacco in the chamber. Feel ok? If it’s too tight try sticking a guitar string (preferable a wound one) down the shank to bore it out a bit.

If it draws ok, then your issue might be with the tobacco or the pack. I find clays prefer dry tobacco and the finer the cut the better. So, a relatively dry shag cut is perfect for a clay. Examples would be 5 Brothers for a Burley, GL Pease Pennyfarthing for a VaPer, Robert McConnell Special London Fine Cut for a Virginia, or Vincent Manil Le Petit Robin for a VaBur. Back a shag fairly tight (might tighter than ribbon or flake—if you pack shag too loose it’s burn too quickly and you’ll get a ton of harsh smoke).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The airway is clear. It just needs relights every 90 seconds or so, as if the clay saps the heat. Keeping it lit for 90 seconds, might actually be my best ever smoke in a clay. I don't have this issue in any of my other pipes, just those two. Last night was a bit of Squadron Leader, dry, and lightly packed. I have tried shag too, with all manner of packing densities, including rolling the leaf into a tight ball in my hands, and popping that in.

I think my next unsuccessful attempt will be my final attempt. Life's too short, and tobacco too expensive, to be wasting it on poor smokes.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Nice one! Did he take much coaxing? Zero to four pipes in one chat!
Not much coaxing at all. I selected my best ones and left the rest. He didn’t know the difference. I just won an old Meerschaum on the bay. Well used and nicely browned and good price. It takes years to develop that color.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have had confirmation that both my orders are on the way. The samples, and the two new pipes. Hopefully I will see both by the weekend. :thumbup1:

I'm fairly confident that I'll be aborting on the clays. To be honest, I only wanted the satisfaction of solving their riddle, not keep them long term. Aside from possibly being useful while I work through the samples, they're not much use to me. They don't sit, are awkward to hold, and the unglazed stem can stick to my lip if I don't keep them wet. If the next smoke isn't satisfactory, they're of no use to me for exploring the samples and will be thrown away.

Moving forward, I already have a dedicated pipe each for English, aromatic, and lakeland. I also have two pipes that I'm happy to smoke anything in, and a 9mm filter pipe for toning down overwhelming flavours. That leaves me three that are as yet unsmoked. I believe the only other family I ought to dedicate a pipe to is Virginias/Periques, but if anyone thinks there's another family of blends I should keep separate, please let me know.

Top Bottom