What's new

aftershaves

I currently use alum and WH with aloe for my post shave products. I'd like to use an AS that smells good vs the WH.

I've only smelled the grocery store AS splashes and they're just too strong smelling. I've tried some balms and don't tend to care for them, though I do like GFT skinfood sandalwood alot. I don't have dry skin so balm isn't really a necessity for me. To be honest I could probably use the drying properties of an alcohol.

Are there any aftershaves that go on like WH and the scents disappear or that are milder?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Most AS scent disappear from 0-3hrs. If you find the scent too strong, you could either cut the AS with water or witch hazel...

What are some aftershaves that disappear more quickly than others?

What is a good place to buy scents for adding to the WH?

4711 and Speick to name two good quality affordable ones. 4711 disappears very quickly, Speick stays a while, but it's very mild.

In my limited experience, Proraso seems perfect for your needs. Smells great going on, but dissipates rather quickly. Also has a nice cooling effect.

If you like Bay Rum and you want a splash, you can't go wrong with Captain's Choice. It's alcohol based and it dissipates in about an hour or so.

I do not like strong scents myself, nothing worse than walking past someone and start choking on their cologne. The typical grocery store AS's do seem heavy on the scent to me as well, now that I have tried some other things. Here are some that have mild or even disappearing scents to my nose:
Citrocol Lime
Captains Choice Bay Rum
Lucky Tiger
Some that are mild, but hang around a bit longer:
Doinica Bay rum w/ lime (awesome)
Masters Bay rum
Florida Water
Some that are stronger and hang around but aren't overpowering like most colognes:
Anything Pinaud
Barbesol Pacific Rush
I've heard that the scents will change after wearing for some time, and I can tell you that many, or even most do. Almost none smell the same on my face as they do in the bottle after 3-30 minutes. Based on my experiences, YMMV:001_smile

To be honest I've never smelled any bay rums but I know what regard CC holds on these boards

Probably look for samples first obviously. I don't think I will get to a B&M store any time soon for the 4711/proraso/speik/pinaud

Last edited:
I'm assuming you want to limit this to alcohol-based products. If so, the Proraso alcohol-based after shave fits the bill about as well as anything else that comes to mind. It has a very pleasant but low-keyed and short-lived scent and is more pleasant on a freshly shaved face than all but a few others. 4711 has a very nice scent which doesn't shout out at other people and is relatively short-lived. Another product that has worked well for me is the D R Harris "American" bay rum. It's scent is a very nice, sort of fruity version of bay rum with little or no clove. Doesn't project too much and doesn't last too long. The "skin care" aspect is very good. In this respect it's equivalent to the Proraso.

nelson

+1 for the Proraso. I also like Speick, and for something that stays around a little longer (at least for me) I really like the Tabac Splash.

I don't care if it has alcohol in it, just good skin conditioning properties, I so far have not found a balm that felt good after going on. Though, like I said in the first post skin food was one I enjoyed and did last for a little while. If that leaves only alcohol then that's what I'm looking for.

Tinashubby up there mentioned tiger balm which I read has WH and alum in it, which sounds like it might be good. I really need to get to a B&M store so I can smell I guess. Lots for me to consider here, thanks guys.

Mandom Lucido is fantastic stuff. It's unscented, but has menthol and other aftershave goodies in it. Royal Shave carries it. I love it on days I'm going to wear cologne instead of aftershave.

I shave in the evening and tend to use the heavily scented aftershaves in the morning in place of a cologne, which I only wear when going out in the evening. At night, when I'm just hanging out after shaving, I don't want something with too heavy or lingering of a scent. Lucky Tiger has become my go to evening product.

Proraso's scent lingers down pretty fast and isnt very strong.It has a menthol kick but doesnt have a very strong lasting scent.And it contains witch hazel as well.

Top Bottom