What's new

Aftershave samples review

Next up I ordered some juice bar samples from shoebox shave shop. Another great place for samples. Had great experience with ordering and very quick delivery. He does have a minimum order on his site but check em out. Glad I found em.

I'm enjoying your journey, OP.
Thank you. Glad you are following along.
Can you include links for the online shops?
[ I have purchased soap samples from http://www.maggardrazors.com/ ]
I see you have already found Maggard Razors. They have great customer service and lightning fast delivery.
I have also ordered from Garry's Sample Shop. Notice the 2 R's in Garry when you email him. He also is great at responding to your questions and he sometimes has some items you can't find elsewhere (I got a sample of Mdc from him)
Lastly I ordered some samples through ShoeBox ShaveShop. They also had fast delivery. Also a very interesting website.
Enjoy your journey as well. I am enjoying mine.:thumbup1:

Yes, great thread indeed! I am gaining so much knowledge.
I know it's been a few months, but as I'm watching the video reviewing Lilac Veg, I can't believe I'm actually watching a video for an aftershave review......ha.

Stephan's Tropical Breeze:
This is labeled more as a skin and scalp tonic, but works as well for an aftershave. Not sure why it is called tropical as the scent is more of a peppermint. Very nice and fresh. Has a small alcohol burn and a nice average menthol cool although the cooling may come from the peppermint. Feels great on the skin, must have some oils mixed in(?) Doesn't last more than 6 hours up close and fades quickly. But those old timers knew what they were doing.

Last edited:
Stephan's Island Lime:
Nice and refreshing. Has a nice citrus smell. Strong alcohol burn. Felt good after tone down. Mainly a fresh scent that lasts about 4-5 hours.

English Leather:
Probably a mainstay in many shave dens. Very complex fragrance woody and sweet at the same time. Nothing particular stands out, but the wife liked this one. Very classy fragrance. Has a small alcohol bite but no menthol that I noticed.

I have this in both vintage and modern. It was the cologne everyone wore in junior high school (yes I'm that old!) and maybe into high school. I don't find myself using it very often but I'm glad I have what I do.

I have this in both vintage and modern. It was the cologne everyone wore in junior high school (yes I'm that old!) and maybe into high school. I don't find myself using it very often but I'm glad I have what I do.

I remember my dad had a bottle of this, so I had to pick one up. Sometimes I wish they didn't update the scents and if they did they would offer both the original and the new.

Stephan's Bay Rum:
Another nice feel on the face, doesn't burn as strong as other bay rums. Has a decent bay rum smell and has that Stephan's feel of smoothness on the skin. That said the scent does not last very long. Too bad, but otherwise great feel.

Stephan's Lilac:
Very nice light Lilac scent. Less powdery than Pinaud's version. Goes on nice and smooth with a little burn. Refreshing on face. However I did feel a little tight afterwards, but this might be more attributed to the blade I used. I tried using a KAI blade again now that my technique is down, however it didn't feel good. So I will try this again in the future to see if that drying is still there.

I remember my dad had a bottle of this, so I had to pick one up. Sometimes I wish they didn't update the scents and if they did they would offer both the original and the new.

I should have been more clear. The scents of the vintage and modern smell very much alike to me but the older bottle seems a little stronger. But that could be because some of the alcohol evaporated over time.

$English_Leather 001.jpg

I think the smaller bottles in the background and the 2 large bottles in the foreground are the vintage ones. I believe you can see the color differences.

Nice to see more on the Stephan's line Blaidth! Thanks for your Reviews! Love your EL collection Musikmann. This thread is a fun read!

Gabel's Original after shave:
Nice scent and nice feel. Sort of reminded me of brut with a talc powder smell on the finish. Didn't last long but didn't dry me out. No burn whatsoever and no menthol.

Gabel's Sta-Cool:
This has some menthol in it. Only a small amount of sting upon application and very little cooling, even though it is called sta-cool. The menthol just isn't that powerful. Overall feel was nice, didn't dry me out at all. Just wish the menthol was a little stronger.

Top Bottom