What's new

Aftershave samples review

Master Ocean Blue:
First thing was a very strong warming sensation followed by a strong cooling. This one has more alcohol and definitely has menthol. The bite and freeze lasted a good 5-10 minutes. Didn't feel over drying either. The scent is similar to Aqua Velva but not quite the same. This is a long lasting scent. I could smell it in the shower the next day.

Head to Head-
Master Ocean Blue vs Aqua Velva Ice Blue
MoB has a stronger sting and more cooling action than AV
MoB is more perfumey(a little bit of 'that guy' to it)
AV is more mellow
Scent side by side on arm-
MoB had a slight coconut smell(like sunscreen very faint)
AV had a woody cedar smell(I never noticed the woody smell in AV before)
IMHO- MoB had a cheap perfume smell and AV was a little richer in tone(both have a low cost)
When they tone down both have a very similar smell. Indistinguishable to my wife at 11 hour mark.
MoB has more staying power- had a stronger scent than AV after 15 hours+

I received some Pinaud samples, Vanilla, Special Reserve and Virgin Islands Bay Rum. I haven't tried the SR yet. I was very impressed with the vanilla, very different from what I thought it would be. Bay Rum smells like, and made me smell like, ham. I might wear it on Thanksgiving day, but other than that Bay Rum (Pinaud brand) will never be in rotation.

Master Iceland Breeze:
A nice menthol cooling from this one. Not overly freezing but a nice feel overall. Has a sweet floral scent as a top note. Fades to a slight talc smell in the background. Lasted maybe 12 hours. Wife thought it smelled like soap, she wasn't impressed.

I received some Pinaud samples, Vanilla, Special Reserve and Virgin Islands Bay Rum. I haven't tried the SR yet. I was very impressed with the vanilla, very different from what I thought it would be. Bay Rum smells like, and made me smell like, ham. I might wear it on Thanksgiving day, but other than that Bay Rum (Pinaud brand) will never be in rotation.

That made me laugh-- like ham, definitely a clove element to it.
Hope you like special reserve.

Master Challenge:
Small alcohol bite maybe a little cooling too but didn't really notice menthol. Definitely a nice healing face feel. Definitely woody. Possibly a cedar smell and something a little sweet. Woodiness lasts the longest although I wonder if it also has a small amount of sandalwood. I couldn't quite place all the scents but this one is a keeper. Later maybe 10 hours up close.

Master Jade:
No alcohol sting on this one. Scent was floral, very possibly Rose. Also a perfumey powder with maybe a little Cedar.

Master Focus:
Again the Master line has not much alcohol bite but a nice moisturizing feel. My first thought of this one was that it smelled similar to Brut. But i pulled out the Brut and it was not the same, same family maybe but different. This has a sharper scent at start while Brut has that sweet smell. And even though both dry down to a talc, this does not have that musky talc of Brut. But it is a nice talc smell, not too powdery.
Scent lasted close up for about 10hours, but faint.

Master Champagne:
Another slightly woody scent, but a sweet one. Unsure how to describe it. Definitely different than Challenge. Has a slightly stronger alcohol bite but has same healing properties as the Master line.

Master Impulse:
Starts off with a sweet scent. Sort of floral but not too much. Finishes with a musk smell and a little bit of spice. Has a little more alcohol bite than the others. Lasts maybe 10 hours up close.

Master Lilac Vegetal:
This has the nice sweet smell of lilacs- not as pronounced as Pinaud's version. Does not have the powder smell of the Pinaud version either. So if you like llilacs but dislike the powder of pinaud then I suggest you try Master's. You may like it. Lasts maybe 6 hours. Slight sting, no menthol.

Sorry guys,
I have had a bit of work to take care of as well as been a bit sick lately. Will start up with some more reviews starting today.

Master Lord & Master:
Small amount of alcohol burn, no menthol cooling at all. This has a sweet smell to start, floral in nature. With a slight talc smell. On dry down a small woody scent. In the end the talc smell dominates. Maybe lasts 5-6 hours, if you know what you are looking for you can smell it for longer but no one else would notice it.

Pitralon Czech:
Picked this one up at Shoebox.
I would say that it is closest to Swiss out of the others, but is quite different. This has a very strong alcohol bite, it burns. Makes your face feel good though and has some healing properties. I thought at first that there was something medicinal in the scent but not exactly, was hard to place- Then I read the ingredients and there it was- Citronella. Definitely a citronella smell to it. Maybe this is a good summer time AS, keep the mosquitoes away.
Lasts 4 hours and then maybe up to 12 up close. No cooling menthol at all.
I thought it was odd that it is called Czech Pitralon as it appears to be made in Slovakia. ^_^

Quick update-
too late to edit- I was going to say that I am not really fond of citronella candles, but for some reason in this aftershave it works. Just a little different I guess.

Top Bottom