What's new

After Shave and sun screen?

Well -- it's been an eventful month. Just a few days ago, I got the diagnosis -- that little place under my eye is a basal cell carcinoma.

So -- now I use screen screen every day, wear a hat, long sleeved shirt, etc.

But -- do I put my sun screen on after my after shave, before my after shave, or instead of my after shave? Anybody know how to do this?

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope it can be resolved, wishing you good health in the future.

I run across this problem one in a while if I'm vacationing someplace warm or going to the beach during the summer. Usually, to avoid mixing sun screen and aftershaves, I plan ahead and try to shave the night before I know I'll be applying sun screen. However, this may not help you much, as you seem to have to put sun screen on regularly now.

I guess you can switch your routine up, if it isn't too bothersome, and become an evening shaver. Either that, or see if there is some product on the market that works as both an after shave balm and has some significant UV protection.

P.S. always make sure your sun screen blocks UVA and UVB rays, as both are dangerous and need to be protected against. Regulations in the US about sun screens is not as strict as it should be, and from time to time you find poorly made products that actually don't afford you the full range of protection you need.

I usually apply sunscreen after my aftershave.
I would hope maybe this important subject might become a sticky.
I am 48, a pretty avid outdoorsman and live in Florida. My hobbies are bicycling, golfing, swimming, fishing, camping, outdoor photography, walking barbecuing and some others.
I already have age/sun spots and live in fear of the annual dermatologist appt.
Even if it's at work day I still apply a body lotion with SPF in it. You can accumulate sun rays just walking to and from the car as well as driving.
There are a couple aftershave balms I've seen with SPF in them but I have no experience with any of them but maybe others do. Maybe there are some great ideas people know of for skin protections - again I would love to see this thread become a sticky for this very important subject.

Im a land surveyor, professionally. I wear long pants and long sleeves everyday here in Florida. Being in the sun, and working so many hours, I shave at night. I wear sun screen everyday, although, I apply AS in the morning as my hygienic routine, also. I haven't had a problem. Although, I put on the sunscreen about a half hour before I start my field work.

Also, make sure its a facial Sun screen! Using a normal one will make you break out and even might develop chemical burns on your face. At least, that's my experience.

The good news is that it was caught early and BCCs are easily treated and/or removed without any further complications. I'm Stage 4 melanoma (see my signature for more info) and I wear sunscreen religiously, everyday. As such I have almost stopped wearing any kind of aftershaves which is a big fat bummer but I just found the combination of sunscreen and aftershave was just too much of a product hassle for me.

But, if I was to use both, I would put the sunscreen on last. Many people (especially woman) use a moisturizer before using a sunscreen, and even I use an unscented aftershave balm after shaving and then use a sunscreen.

You might just have to experiment a bit to see what works for you, but the general rule is the sunscreen goes on last.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I would just use your regular AS and then apply your chosen sun block after it dries.

I have this from Gillet but it sit unused, as I do what I just said above.

$20160624_180328.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have an Art of Shaving product called "skin." It's a combination skin cream (and AS, I guess) that is also sun screen. Eucalyptus scent, nice. $, but it might be worth a look.

AA

Alcohol rapidly evaporates,no worry there.Some aftershaves contain glycerine but in tiny amounts,so you really have nothing to worry about.Let the aftershave / cologne dry 3-5 minutes ,then apply your sunscreen.

PC4Men Daytime Protect is an effective SPF30 moisturiser. Strange texture but it dries weightless and has seems to have some aftershaving properties (soothes burn etc). But you can easily apply it over a splash. And all the best with your BCC.

TYVM, but my BCC is over and done with. I now visit my dermatologist quarterly,and most timesget something cut or frozen off. Have had two or three melanomas since 2013. Thanks again.

Earl
Clovis, New Mexico USA

TYVM, but my BCC is over and done with. I now visit my dermatologist quarterly,and most timesget something cut or frozen off. Have had two or three melanomas since 2013. Thanks again.

Earl
Clovis, New Mexico USA
Didn't notice the date of the original post Earl - but pleased that things are good with you in 2016 anyway!

Top Bottom