What's new

Advice on my First Hone

If you want synths, a large set ending with a naniwa 12k isn't bad. Frankly, I think a 150x40 (or similar size) coti with a slurry stone beats it in every way imaginable.

Oh and dreadpirate, the synths look cheap because they are listed at the price of the cheapest stone. When you actually pick the grit, it increases depending on which grit you choose. 12k superstone is around $75, that's the 1k price they display there. Not expensive compared to the other high grit synths (Shaptons, Chosera, etc), but not as cheap as it looks at first glance. A full 1, 3, 8, 12 (about as barebones as you can go for a full naniwa kit) will run in the $175 area if memory serves.

I got a 125mm x 40mm Les Latneuses for $75 the other day. It's a sweet little hone. I doubt that size and that layer combination will ever be found at that price ever again. That said, any coticule of that size is a wonderful hone.

Last edited:
Ok - I think I got it;

DMT 600/1200 for bevel setting
Norton 4k/8k for regular honing
Nawina 12K
.25 micron diamond
CrO paste

Or I can fore-go the first two and replace with a Coticule.

Is that correct?

Last edited:
If you choose the coti then all you need is; the DMT combo and the coti. Well actually from what it said all you really NEED is the coti.

If you choose the coti then all you need is; the DMT combo and the coti. Well actually from what it said all you really NEED is the coti.

Well, all you need is a coticule and a slurry stone for it. Don't forget the slurry stone!

Coti would be a good addition after you get a feel of the 12K. Then it would be a good comparison to finish on a coti and to learn to hone on it. In all reality you should have all the honing equipment covered but that idea won't last very long:lol:

Top Bottom