What's new

Advice on my First Hone

Ok - I have two EBay straights that need to be honed. They both have a reasonable edge, but are not sharp enough to be called shave ready.

Would the Norton Waterstone 4000/8000 be a good choice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes its a good choice if you want to go synthetic.For about the same money or maybe a little more you can get a coticule that will do the job well plus give you a better finish. The learning curve slightly steeper thoough

I just honed my first razor and after weighing the pros and cons on here opted for a Coti. I don't regret it one bit so obviously I'm a huge fanboy of a Coti.

While you probably could get a decent shave off the 8K imo it takes a higher grit to get a comfortable shave and if you need to set the bevel it could mean a lot of time involved.

Buy a coticule! I did and I'm glad I did. I bought a DMT 600/1200 for heavy work and bevel setting. I've been getting great shave off only my coticule and it's amazing. I have not tried anything else though and I don't see myself buying anything other than another coticule.

What would you recommend then?

I can only say what I have used with good results. My experience with different hones is rather limited.

My first set up was the Norton set with a Chinese 12K stone then went to a CrO pasted strop. I got some really good results with this set up.

I sold the Norton 220/1K and the China stone and replaced them with a DMT 600/1200 combo and a Nawina 12K and now finish off with a felt strop with .25 micron diamond.

The edge from this set up is imo superior to what I had with my prior set up.

Higher grit = lower number (?) So like a 4K grit?

While you probably could get a decent shave off the 8K imo it takes a higher grit to get a comfortable shave and if you need to set the bevel it could mean a lot of time involved.

Buy a coticule! I did and I'm glad I did. I bought a DMT 600/1200 for heavy work and bevel setting. I've been getting great shave off only my coticule and it's amazing. I have not tried anything else though and I don't see myself buying anything other than another coticule.

+1

One of the members here who has been shaving for 30 years with a straight said he's tried about every kind of stone over the years and the only one he owns now it a Coti. That's one of the things that compelled me to get mine.

I recommend sending one razor out to get honed by someone so you know what to look for in results. You can TPT and see how your edge should feel, shave with it and if you have trouble with the other you at least have one good razor.

Not to bad. Are you looking at the Naniwa super stones? I use a Norton 4/8K with the 12K grit super stone. Works great for me. What got me to buy the Naniwa was a recommendation from a highly respected honemeister that frequents this site. I liked his edges and asked about what to get.

I recommend sending one razor out to get honed by someone so you know what to look for in results. You can TPT and see how your edge should feel, shave with it and if you have trouble with the other you at least have one good razor.

Very good advice.

Ok - one more question. Do you have anything between the DMT 600/1200 and the Nawina 12K? Would I need a 3K / 5K? That just seems like a big jump.

I can only say what I have used with good results. My experience with different hones is rather limited.

My first set up was the Norton set with a Chinese 12K stone then went to a CrO pasted strop. I got some really good results with this set up.

I sold the Norton 220/1K and the China stone and replaced them with a DMT 600/1200 combo and a Nawina 12K and now finish off with a felt strop with .25 micron diamond.

The edge from this set up is imo superior to what I had with my prior set up.

If you want synths, a large set ending with a naniwa 12k isn't bad. Frankly, I think a 150x40 (or similar size) coti with a slurry stone beats it in every way imaginable.

Oh and dreadpirate, the synths look cheap because they are listed at the price of the cheapest stone. When you actually pick the grit, it increases depending on which grit you choose. 12k superstone is around $75, that's the 1k price they display there. Not expensive compared to the other high grit synths (Shaptons, Chosera, etc), but not as cheap as it looks at first glance. A full 1, 3, 8, 12 (about as barebones as you can go for a full naniwa kit) will run in the $175 area if memory serves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom