What's new

Adventures in High End Razors - Charcoal Goods

Great thread!
I´m on the waiting-list for a CG and will be ordering a Level-3. Having a Timeless and a R41 (2013) i find the reviews of those razors very informative. Thanks!
I´m expecting from the level-3 to deliver more efficiency as well as more smoothness than the R41. There´s really something magic about it! By the way I don´t find the R41 harsh at all.
Reviving this thread because I can really relate to your description. Recently acquired the CGL3. Have only used it once so far (for reasons I won't take the time to explain) but am really looking forward to getting back to it because the experience was sublime. You said "magic"; same difference. As the OP states, this version is unique. For me, the combination of aggression, blade-forward quality (which I call blade feel for the feedback it offers) and smoothness is out of this world.

Scott has long said the CGL3 is his favorite razor. He lent me his OC version and I could see the appeal. But for me it was acquisition of the closed comb that blew me away. To each his own. Scott has been in the process of obtaining his own closed comb L3 and I look forward to his review as he and I tend to share affinity for aggressive, blade-forward razors.

M

member 119848

Reviving this thread because I can really relate to your description. Recently acquired the CGL3. Have only used it once so far (for reasons I won't take the time to explain) but am really looking forward to getting back to it because the experience was sublime. You said "magic"; same difference. As the OP states, this version is unique. For me, the combination of aggression, blade-forward quality (which I call blade feel for the feedback it offers) and smoothness is out of this world.

Scott has long said the CGL3 is his favorite razor. He lent me his OC version and I could see the appeal. But for me it was acquisition of the closed comb that blew me away. To each his own. Scott has been in the process of obtaining his own closed comb L3 and I look forward to his review as he and I tend to share affinity for aggressive, blade-forward razors.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Parallax. And congratulations for your new razor! I still don't own the CGL3 but I'm on the waiting list once again. I have read a lot of your posts, and other posts from Dragonbeard and Scott. I enjoy reading you, gentlemen. I too, seek efficiency, but I do LOVE blade feel. I sold my Timeless 0.95 because I loved the blade-forwardness of the (2013) R41. Actually I shave daily with a Feather shavette, and when using a DE, I love using the PAA BOCS. But I 'm still eyeballing the CGLV3 and the Timeless bronze OC...
Parallax, have you tried the Timeless bronze OC by the way? I find that the Timeless has two advantages over the CG : 1) the price suits my wallet better, and 2) it has an excellent blade rigidity, although I know less blade rigidity is not a problem.
I do prefer the looks of the OC over the solid bar. And when I had the SS Timeless, I had both baseplates and prefered the feel of the OC. But those are small nuances :001_smile

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Parallax. And congratulations for your new razor! I still don't own the CGL3 but I'm on the waiting list once again. I have read a lot of your posts, and other posts from Dragonbeard and Scott. I enjoy reading you, gentlemen. I too, seek efficiency, but I do LOVE blade feel. I sold my Timeless 0.95 because I loved the blade-forwardness of the (2013) R41. Actually I shave daily with a Feather shavette, and when using a DE, I love using the PAA BOCS. But I 'm still eyeballing the CGLV3 and the Timeless bronze OC...
Parallax, have you tried the Timeless bronze OC by the way? I find that the Timeless has two advantages over the CG : 1) the price suits my wallet better, and 2) it has an excellent blade rigidity, although I know less blade rigidity is not a problem.
I do prefer the looks of the OC over the solid bar. And when I had the SS Timeless, I had both baseplates and prefered the feel of the OC. But those are small nuances :001_smile
Hey Fabi. Thanks for the question. It goes without saying that my result may not be at all like yours. I've not tried the Timeless bronze OC. In fact, I've never used any Timeless. I have used the R41 (I have both the 2011 and 2013). Neither particularly works for me. My sense is they work best at a shallow angle and I prefer steep shaving. Not crazy about the PAA BOCS either. It's aggressive but too light for my taste.

F8D3D755-C9FC-4539-8C57-2FA4C01839E1.jpeg
A28CCC54-35A6-45ED-9F3D-BA38BA521D24.jpeg
512AFB79-EB10-49D4-9B8A-3E5D868D383F.jpeg
9530DED4-FF9E-46B7-BDAA-F543FE401606.jpeg
505148FE-F80D-48B9-9E91-EEC376899B91.jpeg
View attachment 952958

The above photos are my new straight bar Level 3 in shiny brass, to join my den tonight with its twin, my open comb Level 3 in antique brass. I used the OC this morning and was, again, reminded that it truly is my favorite razor... I look forward to seeing how the shiny one compares!

The Timeless bronze OC has been climbing the charts in my den. In fact, today I would say it’s my second favorite (although I very well may have a different view next week). Aside from price and blade rigidity, it also is extremely efficient on my face, even with the deceptively mild blade gap (.78?). It requires care, however, as I find it as likely to bite me as any other razor in my den, including the Ikon Tech. I have no regrets about my Timeless bronze purchase. On my face, it’s much more efficient than the .95 OC in stainless—and cheaper, and more beautiful.

Looking forward to your review, Scott. Also interested in hearing your thoughts on the Timeless .78. You had once listed the stainless .95 as a near-miss, in the second rank just behind razors like the CGL3 and Ikon Tech. When you say the .78 is extremely efficient, do you also mean it's blade forward and smooth?

M

member 119848

The Timeless bronze OC has been climbing the charts in my den. In fact, today I would say it’s my second favorite (although I very well may have a different view next week). Aside from price and blade rigidity, it also is extremely efficient on my face, even with the deceptively mild blade gap (.78?). It requires care, however, as I find it as likely to bite me as any other razor in my den, including the Ikon Tech. I have no regrets about my Timeless bronze purchase. On my face, it’s much more efficient than the .95 OC in stainless—and cheaper, and more beautiful.
Thanks for the insight, Scott. If the Timeless OC bronze wins the #2 rank in your den it says a lot. I think we have a similar taste, in terms of appreciation for "blade forwardness".
Looking at your last acquisition makes my jaw open... a beauty indeed! If I had to choose a CG I would definitely go with the bright brass finish and the maze handle. Wow...
The only reason why I won´t buy the CG anytime soon, honestly, is because I cannot afford it. However... I just pulled the trigger on the Timeless OC bronze! (ordered this morning) :001_smile
So, more efficient than the .95 OC? Ok... so my guess, is that it should compare to a R41 (2013), as another member pointed it out to me.

View attachment 952960 View attachment 952961 View attachment 952962 View attachment 952963 View attachment 952964 View attachment 952958

The above photos are my new straight bar Level 3 in shiny brass, to join my den tonight with its twin, my open comb Level 3 in antique brass. I used the OC this morning and was, again, reminded that it truly is my favorite razor... I look forward to seeing how the shiny one compares!
Shaving at B-Dubs? Does the Teriyaki or the Mango Jalapeno leave a better face feel?

Top Bottom