What's new

Adventures in High End Razors - Charcoal Goods

I’ve long been a confirmed vintage razor enthusiast, but I’ve always paid attention to what’s going on in the modern world. Originally my interest in vintage razors was primarily economic.

In general, they are cheap.

You can easily buy 5-10 vintage Gillette razors for the price of one high end razor. That’s a lot of exposure to different styles, and different shaves, for 20.00 or 30.00 dollars a pop.

For whatever reason, I basically worked my way backwards through the timeline of Gillette razors. I got extremely obsessed with the NEW series, as there is such a variety of great shavers there. Lately the early Aristocrats are my obsession. There’s only a few styles I haven’t used, like a Toggle, and some of the true rarities like a Bottom Dial Fatboy. I still want a Bulldog, but the list of vintage Gillette’s I want to try is pretty short.

I always knew the point would come where if I wanted to try something new and different, I’d have to take a closer look at modern razors, and specifically some of the well regarded high end examples. And of course I’ve always been curious how the modern high end stacks up against the best of the vintage razors. At one point, I sent a NEW Deluxe to @Dragonsbeard to compare it to a Wolfman Geurilla, as I was curious to see how one of my favorites compared. The NEW Deluxe did quite well, and inspired a fairly intense interest in vintage razors for Frank.

Frank was nice enough to loan me a Charcoal Goods razor recently, with both the #2 and #3 plates.
65211656-CECF-40B4-937B-A472B3A5EA7B.jpeg

First off, the handle is gorgeous!
Heavy enough to be used as a self defense device if ever attacked while shaving. Easy to grip is an understatement.

At one point, Charcoal Goods had it on their website that the design was inspired by the NEW. The relationship is obvious, but there are some significant differences.
CCF44EFB-5E8B-48FC-BDE6-2D58810E8B6D.jpeg
FCE3B65E-71B7-4997-9A32-855F05745D57.jpeg

Notice the Charcoal Goods cap is a no tab design, and the lack of the corner cut outs/notches in the baseplate. Simplified for manufacturing? Also notice the textured/ridged top of the cap.

So how does it shave?
First of all, I have to admit my biases. I like moderately aggressive razors with some blade feel that are smooth enough. I know some value smoothness above everything, but that’s not me.

First thing you notice with both baseplates is that it’s LOUD. Lots of audible feedback. The level 2 plate is dead mid range in aggressiveness. Not to much, not to little. Would be a wonderful daily shaver.

The level 3 plate kicks it up a long way.
Frank had cautioned me that this thing could bite. In fact, he calls it “The Beast.”
I didn’t get bit, but this plate requires mindful shaving. If you’re looking for mindless and quick, look elsewhere. My guess is this is the upper limit, or very close to it, of useful aggression. Anything much beyond would be unacceptably harsh. I enjoyed it, as it was a different experience, and very effective. Unlike any vintage Gillette, so fairly unique.

I had to try a couple other heads on the handle, just for giggles. The New Deluxe was phenomenal, and the NEW Short Comb was also a thing of wonder on this handle. The vintage heads revealed a few other points. Being heavier, they were a better match for the handle. They were also much smoother shavers with the plain polished caps. The ridges on the Charcoal Goods cap are smooth enough, but it’s behind a polished cap in comparison. I only recently thought of it, but it would be interesting to try a no tab cap from a NEW Flat Bottom on the Charcoal Goods baseplate. Might have to send one to Frank for evaluation.

This was a lot of fun, and my thanks to @Dragonsbeard for the opportunity to test drive a high end modern razor. Turns out there are some original experiences to be had.
20A41158-6ED7-4DA6-871D-038B1CDBFCA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 117EB98D-CAAE-4955-8A68-F1AB3CE5363B.jpeg
    117EB98D-CAAE-4955-8A68-F1AB3CE5363B.jpeg
    833 KB · Views: 49
I’ve long been a confirmed vintage razor enthusiast, but I’ve always paid attention to what’s going on in the modern world. Originally my interest in vintage razors was primarily economic.

In general, they are cheap.

You can easily buy 5-10 vintage Gillette razors for the price of one high end razor. That’s a lot of exposure to different styles, and different shaves, for 20.00 or 30.00 dollars a pop.

For whatever reason, I basically worked my way backwards through the timeline of Gillette razors. I got extremely obsessed with the NEW series, as there is such a variety of great shavers there. Lately the early Aristocrats are my obsession. There’s only a few styles I haven’t used, like a Toggle, and some of the true rarities like a Bottom Dial Fatboy. I still want a Bulldog, but the list of vintage Gillette’s I want to try is pretty short.

I always knew the point would come where if I wanted to try something new and different, I’d have to take a closer look at modern razors, and specifically some of the well regarded high end examples. And of course I’ve always been curious how the modern high end stacks up against the best of the vintage razors. At one point, I sent a NEW Deluxe to @Dragonsbeard to compare it to a Wolfman Geurilla, as I was curious to see how one of my favorites compared. The NEW Deluxe did quite well, and inspired a fairly intense interest in vintage razors for Frank.

Frank was nice enough to loan me a Charcoal Goods razor recently, with both the #2 and #3 plates. View attachment 879636

First off, the handle is gorgeous!
Heavy enough to be used as a self defense device if ever attacked while shaving. Easy to grip is an understatement.

At one point, Charcoal Goods had it on their website that the design was inspired by the NEW. The relationship is obvious, but there are some significant differences.View attachment 879632View attachment 879633
Notice the Charcoal Goods cap is a no tab design, and the lack of the corner cut outs/notches in the baseplate. Simplified for manufacturing? Also notice the textured/ridged top of the cap.

So how does it shave?
First of all, I have to admit my biases. I like moderately aggressive razors with some blade feel that are smooth enough. I know some value smoothness above everything, but that’s not me.

First thing you notice with both baseplates is that it’s LOUD. Lots of audible feedback. The level 2 plate is dead mid range in aggressiveness. Not to much, not to little. Would be a wonderful daily shaver.

The level 3 plate kicks it up a long way.
Frank had cautioned me that this thing could bite. In fact, he calls it “The Beast.”
I didn’t get bit, but this plate requires mindful shaving. If you’re looking for mindless and quick, look elsewhere. My guess is this is the upper limit, or very close to it, of useful aggression. Anything much beyond would be unacceptably harsh. I enjoyed it, as it was a different experience, and very effective. Unlike any vintage Gillette, so fairly unique.

I had to try a couple other heads on the handle, just for giggles. The New Deluxe was phenomenal, and the NEW Short Comb was also a thing of wonder on this handle. The vintage heads revealed a few other points. Being heavier, they were a better match for the handle. They were also much smoother shavers with the plain polished caps. The ridges on the Charcoal Goods cap are smooth enough, but it’s behind a polished cap in comparison. I only recently thought of it, but it would be interesting to try a no tab cap from a NEW Flat Bottom on the Charcoal Goods baseplate. Might have to send one to Frank for evaluation.

This was a lot of fun, and my thanks to @Dragonsbeard for the opportunity to test drive a high end modern razor. Turns out there are some original experiences to be had.
View attachment 879635

Nice Write up. You Sir are a true Enabler. Thank you. Checking Prices now. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Charcoal Goods razor is a thing of beauty, almost art. Really appreciate the review but I guess what I read was the CG razor was great but not far and away better than the new. I too have a great appreciation for vintage Gillettes for much the same reasons and I have examples spanning from 1907 - 1970. I am not bragging here, I just think it is funny how many of us follow the same path with very similar goals in mind. Thanks for the great review, you have saved me from trying to explain to SWMBO why I need an expensive razor :001_smile

Always nice to read a GOOD detailed review of a new product.

THANKS for your time and work on this.

Nice Write up. You Sir are a true Enabler. Thank you. Checking Prices now. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review. A very highly regarded razor line.

Excellent review. It is well written and very informative.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. Great pictures as well. Cheers.

Always nice to read a GOOD detailed review of a new product.

THANKS for your time and work on this.

Thank you all for the kind words.

The Charcoal Goods razor is a thing of beauty, almost art. Really appreciate the review but I guess what I read was the CG razor was great but not far and away better than the new. I too have a great appreciation for vintage Gillettes for much the same reasons and I have examples spanning from 1907 - 1970. I am not bragging here, I just think it is funny how many of us follow the same path with very similar goals in mind. Thanks for the great review, you have saved me from trying to explain to SWMBO why I need an expensive razor :001_smile
The level 3 plate definitely brings something new to the table. The level 2 is very good, but I have a few razors that cover that range nicely, and several I prefer more. I might spring for the handle at some point, as it really is a work of art, unique, and I like the weight.

+1, although I don't see vintage as a cheaper route given the Vintages you have :a30: :001_302:
There came a point where the razors I wanted to try were somewhat more rare, (or very rare) and definitely more expensive. Just had to save my pennies a little longer.
A few were pretty smoking deals due to poor pictures, bad descriptions, and my willingness to take a risk. A little knowledge and a lot of patience can pay off.

Details I probably should have included.

Blade: Nacet for everything.
Soap: Grooming Dept Incense and Rose, or Angel.

I used the razor for 2 weeks.

There came a point where the razors I wanted to try were somewhat more rare, (or very rare) and definitely more expensive. Just had to save my pennies a little longer.
A few were pretty smoking deals due to poor pictures, bad descriptions, and my willingness to take a risk. A little knowledge and a lot of patience can pay off.
:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

Great review, and awesome photos. Your review reinforces my perception that I'm a bit of an outlier. My face likes aggressive razors, used daily. The Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb is my favorite razor, mostly because I can count on an extremely close shave in two passes every time. (Two passes is misleading, however, as I buff every square millimeter of my face at least a dozen times.) I'm convinced that my old hide is essentially immune from irritation, and doesn't mind blade-forward razors. Some of my other favorite DEs are the R41 2011, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, Blackbird open comb, PAA DOC Evolution in stainless and ATT H2. And the only vintage razor that works for me, a Le Coq cage comb (see my avatar).

I read often that, with proper technique, any razor should give one a close shave. I've not been able to share this experience, notwithstanding my best efforts. I've tried all the reputably efficient Gillettes, including thin- and thick-cap Olds, short- and long-comb News, Red Tip, Slim set at #9, etc., and can't get any of them to work for me. Some of my modern razors that are a tad less blade-forward than my favorites can work for me, but they take more work (e.g., Timeless .95 open comb, Rockwell 6S set at #6, Paradigm 17-4, etc.).

I'm resigned to the fact that I need to restrict my razor acquisitions to those reviewed as "aggressive," although I prefer the term "blade-forward." At least I tried.

Great review, and awesome photos. Your review reinforces my perception that I'm a bit of an outlier. My face likes aggressive razors, used daily. The Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb is my favorite razor, mostly because I can count on an extremely close shave in two passes every time. (Two passes is misleading, however, as I buff every square millimeter of my face at least a dozen times.) I'm convinced that my old hide is essentially immune from irritation, and doesn't mind blade-forward razors. Some of my other favorite DEs are the R41 2011, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, Blackbird open comb, PAA DOC Evolution in stainless and ATT H2. And the only vintage razor that works for me, a Le Coq cage comb (see my avatar).

I read often that, with proper technique, any razor should give one a close shave. I've not been able to share this experience, notwithstanding my best efforts. I've tried all the reputably efficient Gillettes, including thin- and thick-cap Olds, short- and long-comb News, Red Tip, Slim set at #9, etc., and can't get any of them to work for me. Some of my modern razors that are a tad less blade-forward than my favorites can work for me, but they take more work (e.g., Timeless .95 open comb, Rockwell 6S set at #6, Paradigm 17-4, etc.).

I'm resigned to the fact that I need to restrict my razor acquisitions to those reviewed as "aggressive," although I prefer the term "blade-forward." At least I tried.
Bet you're not easily offended with that thick skin. :001_302:

Ever tried a Barbasol Floating Head?

Top Bottom