What's new

Adjustable Razors

I have a 6C which I use frequently and I like it. Equally, I use and like my Merkur Progress. Both are smooth and efficient and adjustable in different ways. I have a Slim which I don't use any more - prefer the 6C or the Progress. You'll find quite a few shavers here who would use a Progress in preference to any of the Gillette adjustables judging from the threads I've seen.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have used most and prefer a few , The Fatboy is my favorite
ALL BRASS originally plated in nickel ,They have stood the test of time in my eyes .
My thinking about changing plates to make it adjustable is taking away from the convenience
of The one razor different settings . First pass setting 3 second pass setting 5 if you want. No taking apart your
razor and switching
base plates . Again that is what My head tells Me anyway .

The Rockwell 6C/S is a great adjustable system razor. I have the 6C and use it frequently. The Merkur Futur or Progress are also available. Same with a Parker Variant. I have not tried any of those, but I use the Ming Shi 2000 (Futur clone) regularly.

If cost is not a hindrance, the Rex Ambassador is a fantastic razor.

There is also the vintage option of a Gillette Slim or Gillette Fat Boy.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
proxy.php

If you are looking at new, low cost, reliable, and available, then I would recommend either the Parker Variant or Merkur Progress. The Progress gives slightly better shaves, but the Variant has features that the Progress really bugs me about such as a well knurled handle, metal adjustment knob, and lather slots on the bottom of the base plate. Still, the Progress is a classic hand has a long heritage for a very good reason.

There are a bunch of new adjustables that are TTO and originating from China. The reviews I have read so far makes me not want to try them out. Right now, I have a REX Ambassador that I got at a very reasonable price and that has become my favorite adjustable razor. Made totally from stainless steel, good adjustment and great shaves. Still, it is quite expensive and so maybe not your first adjustable.

For TTO adjustables, I would still recommend looking for a good Gillette Slim or Fat Boy, and many comes up on BST quite often.

Merkur cap on a Variant is just amazing and smooth. Like using a Progress with everything you like about the Variant all in one.

Attachments

• ADF4B039-273B-4D4E-92D2-30767A829857.jpeg
    ADF4B039-273B-4D4E-92D2-30767A829857.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
:a14: Well done!

Thanks, I calibrated mine and ones for my sons using the handle turn method, nice and easy.

I haven’t used the original cap since, also gets under my nose where the Variant cap did not. Besides smoothness, it is close to 2 adjustments more aggressive per setting.

Thanks, I calibrated mine and ones for my sons using the handle turn method, nice and easy.

I haven’t used the original cap since, also gets under my nose where the Variant cap did not. Besides smoothness, it is close to 2 adjustments more aggressive per setting.
More aggressive! Wow...

Thanks for all the info. I really like the idea of the 6c but I also like the idea of being able to adjust mid shave without having to take it all apart. Currently I don't change aggressiveness mid shave (red, flare, blue are all tto so changing would be easy anyway), but who knows, I'm still new and learning/experimenting and am sure that I'll try it sooner or later. It seems that the Parker Variant is getting a lot of kudos in this thread.

I'm still undecided at this point, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a bunch of them. You know, I started shaving with a safety razor to save money on the cost of shaving . . .

Thanks for all the info. I really like the idea of the 6c but I also like the idea of being able to adjust mid shave without having to take it all apart. Currently I don't change aggressiveness mid shave (red, flare, blue are all tto so changing would be easy anyway), but who knows, I'm still new and learning/experimenting and am sure that I'll try it sooner or later. It seems that the Parker Variant is getting a lot of kudos in this thread.

I'm still undecided at this point, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a bunch of them. You know, I started shaving with a safety razor to save money on the cost of shaving . . .
That old chestnut...LOL...

When I was new to DE shaving, went through a bunch of antique Gillettes. Over time, found I liked them more and more aggressive (as my technique improved). Would have been scared had I not had adjustables in my stable. Ultimately needed something more aggressive than the Fatboy, the Slim and the Black Beauty. But I realized that I liked the weight of the Fatboy and wasn't put off by its heft. So I purchased a Futur and never looked back. Before long was using it as my three pass daily razor on 6.

Six plus years later, the stop has worn away so the setting is way past 6. Essentially it's as aggressive as I can make it. And just recently I've returned to trying out new razors. Now that I know I like 'em aggressive, I'm not looking at adjustables. Just the most aggressive razors I can find without shelling out more than I can justify in my own mind.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
That is an awesome collection @Graydog My 2 cents is a Karve razor, all Brass, great handle in 3 lengths, and baseplate from AA to F from what you use I would recommend starting with a C or D plate and you can add to it. They are priced very reasonably.

Yeah I wish I had all those Razors :) That is a picture from someones Post about the History of Gillette Adjustables .
I have a Karve Razor with the C and D plate and like them very much ,smooth and efficient .
Karve does offer a wide range of bottom plates , but again I say that for Me I find it a hassle to change base plates during a shave and therefore I don't do it . I do however use multiple Razors for each pass sometimes for variety and fun. Like my GameChanger and My Timeless I can change base plates during a Shave but I never do .
For Me Vintage Gillette's always have had a spot in my Heart and it could be just the History that makes Me Favore them over the modern Razors . But also the fact that I get a wonderful shave with them it's hard to put them down

You are getting a lot of information thrown at you here. I will make the case for the slim and the fatboy. Here is why:

Both are beyond any manufacturer to reproduce today. Do you see any clones of the FB or slim out there? Are they any good? I doubt it.

These razors are available for much less money than something like a Merkur progress. For that sort of money you could own an all time classic that does an amazing job. I have seen slims for as little as $15 on ebay. You can try it out and stick with it, sell it or buy something else.

If you can find a fatboy for under $45 you have done well and you can probably stop there. I think it is worth all the hype people put on it. After I got mine I really wished I had started with it.

So I think that if you get either of these you will be glad you did. Try and find a FB, if not then the slim is still an excellent razor. I don't think you find a modern one that will be as cost effective.

I'm a sucker for adjustable razors (i like the gimmick of it, because really you don't need an adjustable, you can only want an adjustable). I've got a toggle, fatboy, slim, super, futur, progress, variant, parthenon and clones and duplicates of several. My two recommendations are
1. skip the parthenon, I didn't like that one at all
2. skip the toggle, it's priced way out of line with how good it really is (but if you find one in the wild cheap buy it).
The others I continue to enjoy with the Super and the Slim getting the most use.

A Gillette Slim Adjustabe should be available on one of the auction sites; plenty of them still available and they are made from brass. I don't think it will improve your technique but at least it will tick the adjustable box. Good preparation and lather will help your shaves so don't ignore those aspects.
Welcome to B&B.

+1! Great suggestion!! The Slim was what I started with in the olden days, and it is still a great choice IMHO!!

Top Bottom