What's new

Adjustable Razors

I just used a Rex as part of the pass around. It is smooth and it’s easy to get under the nose. All stainless steel, really great razor.

Looks like I lucked out at the charity auction. I won 4 auctions and am ending up with two slims and one fat boy.
:a14::a14::a14:

Anyone have first-hand (or first-face) experience with the Rockwell 6S vs. a Karve? Also, is there a razor that would be like the 6S on plate #5 and be as smooth, safe, and a bit more efficient?
Translation: I really like shaving with my 6S, get consistently good to great results, but wonder if there is something even more better-er out there....

Looks like I just acquired a Future and a Karve (with a D plate)
I look forward to trying them.

FYI the Fat Boy I have is seems to be a tad aggressive (even more so than my Red Tip)
I'll be learning on this one for a while.

You don’t really need an adjustable if you already know your shaving needs; I can get along with a Gillette Aristocrat and Aristocrat Jr, depending on the situation. But I guess I’m a sucker for adjustables; I absolutely love the versatility of the Rockwelll 6S - a different slant to an adjustable.

Adjustables allowed me to develop confidence and technique. First the Slim and Black Beauty, then the Fat Boy, and then the Futur as my daily ride for 6 years. Just got used to running it full open.

At this point, knowing that I like super aggressive razors, and not feeling the need to adjust based on the spot being shaved or the direction of the pass, my preference has become to simply find aggressive razors I love. The Futur sits in my drawer now and the vintage adjustables live in my grandfather's shaving cabinet.

So I just acquired/scored a couple of new adjustables.
One is a Karve (with a D plate).
The other is a Merkur Futur.

The Futur is soooo big. Imma have to pull my nose out out of the way to shave under it. This one is definitely one that I'll have to take my time learning to use.

The Karve is soooo heavy. It's at least as heavy as the Futur, if not more. I think I may have to collect a few more plates tho. The D plate has a fairly large gap and may be more of a weekend shaver than a daily.

I think that about does it for my ARAD (Adjustable Razor Acquisition Disorder) until x-mas. (I have a RazoRock 6C on my wish list.)

FYI I've been using my Gillette Fat Tip all this week and have discovered the beauty of shaving on 3 for my three pass, and then cranking it to 9 to finish up. What a beautiful razor that is. Next week I'll be trying the same thing with my Gillette Slim.

Brother Az,

I predict you will like the Merkur Futur. Some considerations however:

It's overclocked on aggression IMO. It has 6 adjustments, but I find a setting of only 1.5 to be perfect for my face. And I have white tough "old man" whiskers!

It has a nice solid feel and a good balance. Good design and engineering. Precision fit and high quality. Modern look. The handle is slightly slippery, but I've never dropped it or even had a close call. One end of the head cap has a small protrusion, to make it easier to flip the cap off, but that feature gives the razor a slightly asymmetrical look that psychologically bothers me. I'm a symmetrical guy.

Still, it gives OUTSTANDING close and comfortable shaves. And that's what shaving is all about. I dearly love the Merkur Futur!

The Futur is soooo big. Imma have to pull my nose out out of the way to shave under it. This one is definitely one that I'll have to take my time learning to use.

The Karve is soooo heavy. It's at least as heavy as the Futur, if not more. I think I may have to collect a few more plates tho. The D plate has a fairly large gap and may be more of a weekend shaver than a daily.

I think that about does it for my ARAD (Adjustable Razor Acquisition Disorder) until x-mas. (I have a RazoRock 6C on my wish list.)

FYI I've been using my Gillette Fat Tip all this week and have discovered the beauty of shaving on 3 for my three pass, and then cranking it to 9 to finish up. What a beautiful razor that is. Next week I'll be trying the same thing with my Gillette Slim.
Gillette Fat Tip? Do you mean Fat Boy?

About the Ming Shi/Qshave Futur clone: do the different settings have click-stops at the numbers (like the Gillettes), or is it a continuous adjustment?

Your nose will get used to the Futur. At first I couldn't figure out how to shave close up underneath. Just stick with it. Eventually it gets easy. Personally the aggressiveness doesn't bother me. I just run it with a very light touch. What I loved about the Futur was that on the way down, I could just lean it against my face and pull. On 6, that was the perfect amount of pressure. Learned to match it when gravity wasn't there to help. I love super aggressive with a super light touch. That's the best combo for me.

Nice thing about adjustables is you can try different settings and see what works for you. Ran a borrowed Karve this morning for the first time. For me, it's the F plate. Loved it! Now if there were a G plate, it might stand atop my shave den.

About the Ming Shi/Qshave Futur clone: do the different settings have click-stops at the numbers (like the Gillettes), or is it a continuous adjustment?

The Futur that I have is a continuous glide adjustable. (no click-click-click)
So if you want to set it 3/4 of the way between numbers, you can.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've actively avoided adjustable DE razors, as I'm a believer that the only thing that should be adjustable, is me.

I always adjust my handling to suit the razor I'm using, and I think that defeats the purpose of an adjustable. I do have a couple of adjustable hollow ground SE razors (WS Empire and Darwin Universal) but I use them wide open, so it's like using a hoe handled straight. I actually find them a lot easier to use on a blade only basis, than having the guard in play, as it gives me more freedom with shaving angles, and means I don't risk pivoting the blade into my face from trying to juggle the two points of contact.

So, I'd like to update folks that might also be investigating adjustables.

I really like my Gillette Fat Boy. It shaves about the same as the Slim, but I really like the weight of it. I've not given enough consideration to the Karve D-Plate yet. I tried it a couple of times and it's rather nice but I still really like the Fat Boy.

As far as the Futur goes, I think I'll need a whole lot more time to adjust to that adjustable. I tried it today with a feather and as careful as I was, I still ended up using my styptic (on its side) in place of my alum block. Needless to say my Proraso Green AS did sting a bit more than usual.

I am still on the learning side of things and am experimenting more and more with different razors and blades. The other thing I'm thinking is that, maybe as much as I think I'd like a more aggressive razor, maybe I don't really need it. Some of my best BBS shaves have been with my Merkur 180 and a GSB.

Sometimes I feel really, really sorry for my poor face and what I put it through.

We've all been there my friend. I came up the Slim, Fat Boy and Futur route. My suggestion would be to get really comfortable with the Fat Boy first. It's a wonderful razor. At least it was for me. I loved the weight and, turned all the way up, it wasn't too much to handle. (I'm sure I worked my way up, though it's hard to remember.)

The Futur at first seemed terrifying. But once again I worked my way up and, in time, became quite adept with it. Used it for years. No doubt the lessons it taught are what have allowed me to experiment with the most aggressive of razors. At this point, the only one that was too intense was a devette that one of the brothers PIFed me. The blade flex made it really hard. (Harder than the straights I took a turn with some years back. They weren't all that challenging but keeping them sharp was completely beyond me.)

At this point, as you play with the adjustments, notice how the things you do change the aggressiveness of the shave too. Most of all blade angle and pressure.

Top Bottom