What's new

Adjustable Razors Compared & Reviewed

Great thread! I have been eyeing a Karve, but I find my Rex and 6s cover everything from very mild to agressive. That's not taking into consideration my Fatboy amd other razors. If I were to try it, seems B plate would be my choice. As I like the rex at 2.5-3 and plate #3-#4 on my 6s.

With a blade loaded, take a look at the blade from a 3/4 angle. Does the blade have a slight bow or curve in the centre? More obvious at lower settings.
I'm home and took a look ,even with a magnifying glass. The blade is flat across and aligned also. I remember now about that problem.

Gibbs Adjustable (1937). N setting, PolSilver. This example has custom brass sleeve which brings weight to 93g. Efficient and comfortable.
proxy.php

Gibbs Adjustable (1937). N setting, PolSilver. This example has custom brass sleeve which brings weight to 93g. Efficient and comfortable.
proxy.php
nice razor, I sent you a pm a couple questions about those razors. Just to keep the thread open

That Brother Loot has an outstanding display of some of the "best of the best." Well done, sir!

And Brother Mudrick, I'd like to hear more about the 1937 Gibbs Adjustable! I'm a 1936 model myself, and I have a special kinship interest in razors from the mid 1930's. How does it compare with say a Fat Boy?

That Brother Loot has an outstanding display of some of the "best of the best." Well done, sir!

And Brother Mudrick, I'd like to hear more about the 1937 Gibbs Adjustable! I'm a 1936 model myself, and I have a special kinship interest in razors from the mid 1930's. How does it compare with say a Fat Boy?
The Gibbs has its strengths and weaknesses. Its geometry would be closer to the Progress than Fatboy. On the plus side it's very efficient and pretty smooth. On the minus side It's quite head heavy and not everyone is going to like the short handle. It's certainly a razor worth owning if you can find one at a decent price. Unfortunately prices have headed way north the last couple years, in part because of the attention on it as the basis for the Rex Ambassador.
proxy.php

@loot Beautiful collection you got but why no Gibbs or even the readily obtainable Merkurs ? My first adjustable was the Futur which served me well until I discovered the vintage adjustables.

R

romsitsa

proxy.php

Hello,

sleeve is the handle? Is it painted black or blackened (how)? Looks nice.

Thanks

Adam

Ok, so I just got a new Rex, and it seems harsher than the passaround one of Gus's. I'm thinking, what's going on here. I doubt the geometry would be any different. Anyone know a reason? Its the N4 batch

Harsh on any of the settings, or harsh on the higher settings, or what? Maybe you could start out low at 1 or 1.5 & then work your way up slowly from there to see at what point the harshness kicks in.

For me, and also @Shavemd, that starts around the 4 & up.

One last thing- looking at the Rex eye level with a blade loaded, is the gap straight across & even (not tilted or greater on one end)? It's possible & worth checking, but I don't suspect it would be tilted or uneven gap since it's not a tto with silo doors that open & which could be knocked out of alignment like this (pic taken from Google search):
images.jpeg

Ok, so I just got a new Rex, and it seems harsher than the passaround one of Gus's. I'm thinking, what's going on here. I doubt the geometry would be any different. Anyone know a reason? Its the N4 batch
I have the N4 and it is beautifully smooth. Not sure why yours would be harsh.

I have a super soft spot for adjustables especially vintage Gillette's. You'll notice they are in the top shelf. [emoji16] The two Fatboys between the Toggles are of the D1 variety. Mr. Preacher....no need to go down that road too far. A Slim, a Fatboy, and your choice of Black Beauty and call it good my friend.

The 2nd tier is my adjustable Wolfman. One is missing out of my den on loan. Six are present.

I guess now thinking of agreed upon definition, most all I currently own is an adjustable. Hence the photo.

I had the Karve. E and F. I wanted to like it but the F just wasn't efficient enough and it got harsh. It was sold pretty quick.

I have kept a CG L2/L3 set in bright copper. I love the L2 plate but not much of an L3 fan.

I've yet to try a Rex. I'll have to borrow one now. Your review has me curious. Thanks for that.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Me too, I love adjustables!! There hasn't been one yet that I own and didn't love, much also like @santamariasteve has said many times.

Wow!! What a collection of some great shavers!

As far as trying the Rex, have you signed up on Rex passaround tour hosted by Gus?

@Keto, if it doesn't improve or still feels harsh even with good technique, I would definitely reach out to Matt & explain the situation. You might have to send your razor in for a couple weeks, but hopefully once it returns, it'll work great & you can be satisfied with your purchase. Just a thought as sort of a last option. Hope you get it figured out!

Harsh on any of the settings, or harsh on the higher settings, or what? Maybe you could start out low at 1 or 1.5 & then work your way up slowly from there to see at what point the harshness kicks in.

For me, and also @Shavemd, that starts around the 4 & up.

One last thing- looking at the Rex eye level with a blade loaded, is the gap straight across & even (not tilted or greater on one end)? It's possible & worth checking, but I don't suspect it would be tilted or uneven gap since it's not a tto with silo doors that open & which could be knocked out of alignment like this (pic taken from Google search):
View attachment 935230
Yep the blade is not bowed , alignment is good. Just doesn't feel as smooth as Gus's .I have to send it back though because it has a problem screwing into the top cap you have to try several times, as it seems to want to cross thread or something and you can't tighten it. Looks to me like there's a fat thread on the first threading of the top cap, so Matt can take a look at it all fix that problem and see.

@loot Beautiful collection you got but why no Gibbs or even the readily obtainable Merkurs ? My first adjustable was the Futur which served me well until I discovered the vintage adjustables.

Thanks for the kind words @santamariasteve I am very fortunate. I have some very nice gear to play with.

@AJSharp My first adjustable was a D3 Fatboy, 2nd from right. Then my mother gave me her brother's short handled BB and my her dad's long handled Black beauty. I just fell in love with them because they are heirlooms and to me, pieces of American history. I also found that I liked the heavier razors and they get more expensive the heavier they get. The Red Dot Fatboys are actually a source of angst...and pride. I have a love/hate relationship with one in particular.

The only Merkur that interested me was the Vision, just because its handsome and is as big as a microphone. I've never even looked at any of the others because by the time I completed my Gillette collection, I had moved on to modern razors.

As to the Gibbs...my good friend @Dragonsbeard has been threatening me for months to ship a Gibbs my way to try. It will have to wait until after the new year because we have stopped shipping razors for the holidays. USPS has been 100% with our packages. I'd rather not test that with 500 million Christmas presents in the mix.

I'm just not too sure I could have a Gibbs, no matter how it shaves, and I understand it to be an incredible shaver. It's French, the handle is too short, and it's too light for my liking. Interesting how we pass judgment on gear we've never tried, no? However, much like people, the ones I generally don't like tend to be favorites in the end, if given the chance. It seems like I learn not to be so judgemental, but no.

I'm sure the Gibbs will change my mind once I get a hand on one.

@Keto, if it doesn't improve or still feels harsh even with good technique, I would definitely reach out to Matt & explain the situation. You might have to send your razor in for a couple weeks, but hopefully once it returns, it'll work great & you can be satisfied with your purchase. Just a thought as sort of a last option. Hope you get it figured out![/QUOTE/]
Mine goes back today. I'm wondering if the threading might not be letting it tighten properly. A fat thread. Anybody that may have cut a bolt to shorten it and rethread or such that's probably dealt with something of the sort.
Speaking of threads I'm enjoying this shaving thread Shavepastor
IMG_20181213_182140716.jpg

Me too, I love adjustables!! There hasn't been one yet that I own and didn't love, much also like @santamariasteve has said many times.

Wow!! What a collection of some great shavers!

As far as trying the Rex, have you signed up on Rex passaround tour hosted by Gus?

Thank you for the kind words on the adjustables my friend.

I've not signed up for the pass around. My good friend @Shavemd has Rex. He also has a couple of other rarer 3 piece razors he will send in the new year. I'm actually looking forward to it. I applaud Matt for tackling such big project and I hope he is successful. It's an American product...it's just too bad he chase a dadgum Frenchie froo froo Gibbs to model it after! The horror.

I have a super soft spot for adjustables especially vintage Gillette's. You'll notice they are in the top shelf. [emoji16] The two Fatboys between the Toggles are of the D1 variety. Mr. Preacher....no need to go down that road too far. A Slim, a Fatboy, and your choice of Black Beauty and call it good my friend.

The 2nd tier is my adjustable Wolfman. One is missing out of my den on loan. Six are present.

I guess now thinking of agreed upon definition, most all I currently own is an adjustable. Hence the photo.

I had the Karve. E and F. I wanted to like it but the F just wasn't efficient enough and it got harsh. It was sold pretty quick.

I have kept a CG L2/L3 set in bright copper. I love the L2 plate but not much of an L3 fan.

I've yet to try a Rex. I'll have to borrow one now. Your review has me curious. Thanks for that.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
How and what do you choose to shave with? Do you have favorites, slim, and Fatboy, and black beauty or ...?

How and what do you choose to shave with? Do you have favorites, slim, and Fatboy, and black beauty or ...?

The Chrome Toggle is my favorite, no question. It is unique in a lot of ways and quite different in construction to it's gold D1 brothers. Chris Evatt did an amazing job with the nickle plate. It is flawless. I also think it is a touch smoother than the D1's too. @Dragonsbeard did a shave off with it and his F4 Rhodium Toggle and his regular Toggle bested it. I call it home den advantage!

If I use one. it's the Chrome Toggle or a Red Dot Fatboy. There isn't a nickles worth of difference in the shave of any of them except the Slim and the BB's. I can't get as good of a shave out of them. I blame it on weight.

The Chrome Toggle is my favorite, no question. It is unique in a lot of ways and quite different in construction to it's gold D1 brothers. Chris Evatt did an amazing job with the nickle plate. It is flawless. I also think it is a touch smoother than the D1's too. @Dragonsbeard did a shave off with it and his F4 Rhodium Toggle and his regular Toggle bested it. I call it home den advantage!

If I use one. it's the Chrome Toggle or a Red Dot Fatboy. There isn't a nickles worth of difference in the shave of any of them except the Slim and the BB's. I can't get as good of a shave out of them. I blame it on weight.[/QUOT/]
Home den advantage haha, that's a good one. I appreciate that answer, thanks

Top Bottom