What's new

Adjustable Razors Compared & Reviewed

Looking forward to reading about it. I'm a big fan of the Parker Variant, and am wondering how it will stack up against the competition.

The Parker Variant is also a favorite of mine! I expect it to do favorably

Subscribed.

I am a sucker for an adjustable. Primarily vintage Gillette's but I do consider my Wolfman WR1's a modern adjustable, even though it is only 4 settings, it covers both SB/OC in an assortment of complete razors. The beauty of it is, it also has an assortment of different handles :)

Yep, me too. Definitely love adjustables! Never tried a Wolfman, but all I hear is good things about the razors

If the razor can be adjusted at all either by dial or by changeable baseplates then to me it qualifies as an adjustable razor (only the method reached is different). Just my thoughts. Others may differ, it's all good. But in answer to your question, I'd say yes, if those other brands have multiple baseplates that adjust the geometry then they are adjustable IMO. I didn't include those simply because I don't have them in my den. I'd be more than happy to review & compare them if anyone is willing to send them to me to try.:thumbup:
I agree.

Ok gents, been traveling for the past 2 days for our Thanksgiving holiday to go see family out of state. But we made it. First up will be separate reviews of both the Rex & the Karve, followed by shave comparisons on the lower settings. Stay tuned all, as I will try to have it done by tonight. For now here is a pic to hold our interest!
2018-11-18 13.19.49.jpg

Ok gents, been traveling for the past 2 days for our Thanksgiving holiday to go see family out of state. But we made it. First up will be separate reviews of both the Rex & the Karve, followed by shave comparisons on the lower settings. Stay tuned all, as I will try to have it done by tonight. For now here is a pic to hold our interest!
View attachment 929310
Going on looks alone, both of those are equally beautiful razors!!

Going on looks alone, both of those are equally beautiful razors!!

Thanks Grundi! I especially love the aesthetics of the Rex. The Karve is starting to darken barely & has taken a long time to do so since I clean it & alcohol dip it after every shave.

I have the Fatboy, Slim, and Black Beauty so I look forward to your take on them. I have my own but I want to see if we agree, just for fun. I also have a Russian Ideal and Russian Rubin. You dont see those often in the wild it seems. They seem to be a bit on the mild side even at their most aggressive settings but they are still great shavers.

If the razor can be adjusted at all either by dial or by changeable baseplates then to me it qualifies as an adjustable razor (only the method reached is different). Just my thoughts. Others may differ, it's all good. But in answer to your question, I'd say yes, if those other brands have multiple baseplates that adjust the geometry then they are adjustable IMO. I didn't include those simply because I don't have them in my den. I'd be more than happy to review & compare them if anyone is willing to send them to me to try.:thumbup:
Would you consider a razor like the Game Changer which has only 2 plates an adjustable?

Would you consider a razor like the Game Changer which has only 2 plates an adjustable?

Yes, I would. I don't see how it's any different from the Karve or Rockwell except fewer plates as of this moment. Now granted, the GC is not going to have as much variation as the adjustables with dial adjusters, and won't be able to range from extremely mild to extremely efficient like say the Rex or Parker Variant. But the geometries are changed nonetheless in using different plates & therefore to my way of thinking it is adjustable. Others probably disagree but it's no big deal! I personally like both styles of razors (3 piece with multiple baseplates & also one piece razors with adjustable mechanisms):thumbup1:

I have the Fatboy, Slim, and Black Beauty so I look forward to your take on them. I have my own but I want to see if we agree, just for fun. I also have a Russian Ideal and Russian Rubin. You dont see those often in the wild it seems. They seem to be a bit on the mild side even at their most aggressive settings but they are still great shavers.

Thanks bud! Never heard of those Russian ones. Very cool.

Yes, I would. I don't see how it's any different from the Karve or Rockwell except fewer plates as of this moment. Now granted, the GC is not going to have as much variation as the adjustables with dial adjusters, and won't be able to range from extremely mild to extremely efficient like say the Rex or Parker Variant. But the geometries are changed nonetheless in using different plates & therefore to my way of thinking it is adjustable. Others probably disagree but it's no big deal! I personally like both styles of razors (3 piece with multiple baseplates & also one piece razors with adjustable mechanisms):thumbup1:
OK. We agree on that. I prefer the multi-plate design, because I never change settings mid-shave, and because all of the razors with adjustable mechanisms that I have tried or seen have large heads that I find clumsy compared to the Game Changer. The Rockwell is kind of the odd duck on that score, since it has a large head (due to the reversible plate design) but somehow manages to be quite maneuverable into tight spots, like under my nose.

Anxious to read the reviews. Of the adjustables I have and have used here are my rankings:
1. Slim
2. Super (long handled metal baseplate)
3. Fatboy
4. Rockwell 6c
5. Parker Variant
6. Merkur Progress
7. Toggle
8. Eclipse Red Ring
9. Ikon SBS
10. Super short handle
11. QShave Futur Clone
12. NT Vigour Futur Clone
13. Merkur Futur
14. QShave Parthenon (one of the worst razors I've ever used)

Excellent thread @ShavePastor! Will be following along as well and just to see how similar or dissimilar our thoughts and actual experiences may be with the aforementioned razors. Good shaves ahead amigo..... :punk:

Anxious to read the reviews. Of the adjustables I have and have used here are my rankings:
1. Slim
3. Fatboy
4. Rockwell 6c
5. Parker Variant
6. Merkur Progress
7. Toggle
8. Eclipse Red Ring
9. Ikon SBS
10. Super short handle
11. QShave Futur Clone
13. Merkur Futur

Nice! So are you saying you like the Slim the best of everything you have or have tried? I too love the Slim on certain settings.

Ok, here is my Review of the Rex Ambassador. While I was out with the wife earlier, I saw this sign in a shopping center today and just had to take a pic since I thought it was timely.
2018-11-20 12.30.44.jpg

Anyway, my review of the Rex is the same as what I posted over in the Rex passaround tour so I will also put it here, as nothing said in my review has changed. Here it is copied and pasted here:

"Initial Thoughts:
My initial thoughts are very positive, so much so that one may question the validity of my review with only one shave so far. But have you ever used a razor that once you started using, perhaps even before the shave was done, that you just knew it was going to be a phenomenal razor? I know @Esox has had that experience after the very first stroke! Well guys, this is such a razor for me! I have another thread opened titled How SMOOTH is the Rex Ambassador? In that thread I was seeking for the answer that I now know. I sort of had a feeling it would be and knew where to aim my expectations based on other people's feedback. But I needed to know for myself, and now I can confidently answer my own question--it is INCREDIBLY SMOOTH!! Holy smootherator is the smoothness of this thing smoothly smooth! What I mean by that is super-comfortable, easy to use, no irritation, not prone to biting, forgiving if technique is off, a mindless shaver, a cruise control type of razor, just so smooth and wonderful feeling both during and after the shave! At the right settings, the razors that I currently have that are like that are the Rockwell 6s/c, Karve, Parker Variant, and Slim on 6, all with either GSB or 7 o'clock blacks.

Razor Impressions:
I love the fact it is machined out of 316L stainless steel. It just exudes quality and robustness. That is one of the major things I like about this razor--not only the comfort level of use, but also the durability aspect. Instant heirloom quality that can be passed down for generations. I tend to like a weightier razor and I think this one just hits so many sweet spots--nice weight and balance, slimmer head profile for easy maneuverability, and excellent grippy pattern on the handle. It is also quite aesthetically pleasing as well. One thing I noticed is that the blade tabs are completely covered so there's no chance of nicking an earlobe or a nostril (some prefer such a design, I like it but don't have to have it). I think on this particular razor it works very well into the overall head design. Very nicely done. I also noticed that on the safety bar itself, there is a nice beveled angle that works very good together with the downward angle from the top cap. And I'm no expert on geometry, but I think the razors that I consider very "smooth and comfortable" all have that similar design element. The adjuster dial did not move during the shave and firmly stayed put. All of the laser engraving of the numbers and name are very cleanly done as well.

Shave Experience:
I typically do a 3 pass shave with very little buffing done only in a few tough spots. And it is always the XTG and ATG passes that reveal to me whether the razor is truly smooth or not for me. This one passed with flying colors! After lathering B&M Reserve Classic, I started on my right side and had the razor on setting 1. I did a full downward stroke to the bottom of my neck and I could tell this was a little too mild for me. So I turned the dial to setting 2 and repeated that same stroke. I kept it at 2 for the entire shave, and I must say that at the end it was mostly BBS everywhere except a couple tough places where it was a very good DFS I'd say. Absolutely no irritation, no warmness, no redness, nothing! It was sublime! While testing out adjustables at first, I like to start off at the lower settings for each shave and then work my way up next time on a higher setting. This first shave already has convinced me of what a fine shaver it is, and that was only on setting 2! This one definitely has the potential to be a den clearing machine that will leave other razors in the dust or to be sold off on the BST.

All I can say so far is two words-- I can say WOW and I can say it backwards! Like I said, some may question the validity of such a high praising review with only one use, but I have a feeling that this is one of those very good razors "that you just know" right from the get-go. More good shaves ahead!"

Ok, so that was my initial review when using it during the passaround tour, and nothing has changed. It is such a smooth shaver in the 2--3 setting range. After now owning this razor, the shaves have gotten even more dialed in and it has been providing amazing shaves! Where I really love this razor is on the ATG pass. It is just so smooth! In some ways, I guess this is how I judge smoothness, by how well it does on the ATG pass. One other thing I have learned about this razor is that it also seems to remove not only whiskers, but also all traces of the soap including the residual slickness so this is not the razor to do a whole lot of buffing with IMO. Good quality lather is a must with this razor. As to my particular example of the Rex, it is a flawless example from the N3 batch! It is such a nice razor, I can't speak highly enough of it and to me it was worth acquiring.

2018-11-21 00.34.43.jpg

Next up: Karve Review, then the shave comparisons.

My Review of the Karve CB Razor:

This for me was another one of those "gut feeling" type of razors where I just knew it was for me and was something I wanted! I have had mine for a while now, since June and this thing never fails to provide a good shave. I ordered mine with the 3.5in handle and with plates B, C, & D. I have not tried the E or F yet, but would like to.

Razor Impressions:
The Karve razor is made of brass and has a nice hefty feel and weight to it. The thing that stood out to me right away is how well it was machined, especially the male threads of the top cap post and the female threads inside the handle opening. When screwing the handle on, it feels like its lubricated or greased but it ain't. Also the aesthetics are pleasing to me and it just looks like a quality piece for sure. The balance is good and the angle for me is pretty intuitive. The handle is not slippery. The tolerances are amazingly tight and the blade alignment is perfect and even every time and has no room for error. The blade tabs are exposed quite a bit, so this is something to be aware of (I prefer them inclosed, but it's no big deal at all if they aren't). Like I said in the Rex review, I think this one also has that "instant heirloom" quality that can be passed down for generations if properly cared for.

Shave Experience:
I tend to favor razors in the mild but yet still efficient category. And this is where I would put the Karve at. It is a very smooth shaver and has a"mild feel" but yet it removes them whiskers very efficiently! With my typical 3 pass shave, I always end up with a really fantastic shave that is irritation free. This one is a keeper in my den for sure.

Karve.jpg

Comparisons to follow!

Very good reviews of the 2 razors. My only issue with the Rex was that when I used it passed 4.5 it started to get a little harsh for me.

1. Slim
3. Fatboy
4. Rockwell 6c
5. Parker Variant
6. Merkur Progress
7. Toggle
8. Eclipse Red Ring
9. Ikon SBS
10. Super short handle
11. QShave Futur Clone
13. Merkur Futur
Very interesting. It got me thinking how I would rank the adjustables I own.

proxy.php

The higher the score, the higher I would rank the razor. Just my mileage, fully understand that other people's vary.

Top Bottom