What's new

ADJUSTABLE APRIL (starts April,1st)

Adjustable April Day #01: Merkur Progress

I've always wanted a Progress, and finally pulled the trigger last month. For me it feels like an adjustable DE89 or R89. It's a smooth and efficient shaver, but because of the blade chatter and low rigidity I nicked myself 2 days ago, which never happens with any of my other razors. So for my chin and neck I need to tone it down to 1-1.5

During the weekend I will not use adjustable razors, but will be back on Monday with either my Fatboy or Slim (tough choice!)

Count me in. Some dedicated time spent with a short handled Progress, a couple of Futurs and a Rockwell Model T2 might not be a bad idea.
1) JAHE
2) Shaunasleep
3) ajkel64.
4) tehnothing This is great. I have only used my fatboy once.
5) macintosh_br
6) ratso
7) Chard52142
8) luv2shave
9) wes1953
10) santamariasteve
11) Clouds
12) G'Ville Ute
13) texchappy
14) BSawhill
15) Ted A
16) prajnagatu
17) Trollky

Friday, 1st April 2022
Blade # 1
Shave # 32

Razor : Merkur Progress Short Handle # 5
Blade : Feather Hi-stainless
Soap : Cella Extra Extra Purissima
Brush : Omega 11126 pure bristle Ovangkol wooden handle
Post shave : Alum + Dickinson's witch hazel plus rose water

April Adjustable Addicts (AAA'22)

First shave of the month, in what I would like to call AAA, and we don't need any help to rcover, but more to join in and fuel the addiction.

Thanks to @JAHE for the wonderful idea. Hopefully adding an A will be "adjusted" in the spirit of the month's theme. ;)

Post FFFMM'22, I wanted to experiment with my Feather bladewith 31 shaves on it in a more aggressive razor. I ahd my Timeless 95 SB in mind, however on second thoughts, what can be better than an adjustable razor in a blade Excalibur exercise.

Shave # 1 in the books was with a Merkur Progress short handle on setting # 5 with the Feather blade on its 32nd shave continued from March.

The shave was superlative and smooth. As I suspected the Feather blade has many more miles to go, and the Merkur Progress on setting # 5 proved it. A 10/10 BBS shave with zero alum feedback.

I continue to use the Cella in my Timeless bowl. There is some more days of soap left over and I am happy to use it with the Omega 11126 brush which carried me through March.

I reduced the setting down to # 3 for the fools pass as setting # 5 felt a bit too chatty and unnerving.

Have a great addictive adjustable month folks !

View attachment 1432443
Hi,

Well, "tripple A" is already used for the "All Aventus August" event, so let's stick to AA 2022 😉

It's impressive how many shaves you got out of your Feather blade...

Adjustable April Day #01: Merkur Progress

I've always wanted a Progress, and finally pulled the trigger last month. For me it feels like an adjustable DE89 or R89. It's a smooth and efficient shaver, but because of the blade chatter and low rigidity I nicked myself 2 days ago, which never happens with any of my other razors. So for my chin and neck I need to tone it down to 1-1.5

During the weekend I will not use adjustable razors, but will be back on Monday with either my Fatboy or Slim (tough choice!)

You can always make this in to a month long exercise and enjoy both !:biggrin1:

Hi,

Well, "tripple A" is already used for the "All Aventus August" event, so let's stick to AA 2022 😉

It's impressive how many shaves you got out of your Feather blade...

Done, the addicts part seemed too addictive to let go.

I am surprised myself on the number of blades I used in Feb and March - Just two ! What am I going to do with my blade stash now :confused1

I think, the change of technique to riding the guard made the difference. The control on the angle, pressure is absolutely scientific when riding the guard vs riding the cap. Zero pressure is another one. Cella is one more element. Awesome soap, I can't let go after a month of use.

Why not!!! I have my Fatboy, Slim and Black Beauty that I have been neglecting!!!
1) JAHE
2) Shaunasleep
3) ajkel64.
5) macintosh_br
6) ratso
7) Chard52142
8) luv2shave
9) wes1953
10) santamariasteve
11) Clouds
12) G'Ville Ute
13) texchappy
14) BSawhill
15) Ted A
16) prajnagatu
17) Trollky
17) Airmech

Tom

20220401_153724-01-01-01.jpeg

Day 1.

I've chosen my 1961 Gillette 1.95 Adjustable aka the Fat Boy for the first stage of Adjustable April.

Lovely shave. Two passes (wtg on setting 5, atg on 9) with some extended touch ups. These two first passes mowed down two days worth of growth like nobody's business. I dialed the setting down to 3 for the touchup strokes, which went super smooth. I hardly could feel the blade. Unfortunately I missed one stubble spot on the jaw line, since otherwise the result had easily been a true bbs shave.

Anyway, an almost bbs result without any skin irritation has to be considered a great start, I'd say.

Have a great day, y'all!

PS: For those being interested here is a link with some further information on the Fat Boy.

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Gillette Super Adjustable setting 5 Code S3 3rd quarter 1972 the year I was discharged from active duty.
Wilkinson Sword (German) 3rd use
MFW soap. Reminds me of Williams soap characteristics
Semogue Taj brush
Thayers witch hazel
Proraso green aftershave
Proraso white balm
Alum feedback. Face-low. Neck-low.
Very comfortable shave. Not super close.
Rated 8.5/10

D57E5FF4-0AAD-43FA-97A1-5F0D6CA912A5.jpeg

I'm in, started today with

Rasierer: Yaqi Adjustable
Klinge: Gillette Platinum
Pinsel: Yaqi Timberwolf 26mm
Schaum: Proraso Weiß RS
Aftershave: Proraso Grün

Happy shaves from Germany
Welcome!
It's nice to have a "Landsmann" in.
Greetings!
😉

I'm in. I have 2 classic Gillette Slim Adjustables- the 2nd was sold as being a Fat Boy, but I didn't complain, since it's in SO much better shape than the first one of its type I had. I'm going to use it today on a higher aggressiveness level than before- 6 vs. 3- so that'll be interesting. Or bloody. Or both.

My first Adjustable April

FatBoy Friday
Razor: Gillette Red Dot FatBoy
Blade: Wizamet SI
Brush: Omega 10098 Boar
Soap: Palmolive Shave Stick

Great to be part of Adjustable April, and thanks to @JAHE for organising.

This arrived last Friday, and needed a decent clean which I did over the weekend. I also paintfilled the numbers and the red dot.
I've been itching to use it but decided to hang in there until a Friday.

So how does it shave. Its a slight bit more aggressive than a standard FatBoy. I started at 7 ATG and dialed it to 8 to finish off WTG. Some buffing in my normal spots and I'm ready to face the day.

Wow, what a rare find! Awesome!😀
Enjoy your ride!

You got me.... :letterk1:

1) JAHE
2) Shaunasleep
3) ajkel64.
5) macintosh_br
6) ratso
7) Chard52142
8) luv2shave
9) wes1953
10) santamariasteve
11) Clouds
12) G'Ville Ute
13) texchappy
14) BSawhill
15) Ted A
16) prajnagatu
17) Trollky
17) Airmech
18) GlazedBoker

Apollo Mikron. Made in Germany from 1949 to about 1960. It's rare and seldom seen. Tends to be pricy, though I found mine in an antique store for only $12 dollars [gasp!]. Settings are micro-adjustable from 1 to 8. A setting of 2.5 is the best setting for my tough whiskers and tender 85-year-old face. The adjustment knob is at the end of the handle, a location I prefer. Solid hefty feel. Thick and stubby handle that is straight. Nicely engineered. If calibration changes it can easily be reset, a nice feature. There is a slightly tapered handle version and a later straight handle version. Likewise, there is a silver-colored version and a gold-colored version. An effective and pleasant shaver. The later Merkur Progress, engineering wise, appears to be "a descendant" of the Apollo Mikron.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Might as well...

4-1-22.Taiga.CH3-Manchurian.MysticWaters.640.JPG

1) JAHE
2) Shaunasleep
3) ajkel64.
5) macintosh_br
6) ratso
7) Chard52142
8) luv2shave
9) wes1953
10) santamariasteve
11) Clouds
12) G'Ville Ute
13) texchappy
14) BSawhill
15) Ted A
16) prajnagatu
17) Trollky
17) Airmech
18) GlazedBoker
19) Chan Eil Whiskers

1648831479653.png

Taiga today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just received my first adjustable('65 Slim) in the mail 2 days ago so this will be easy to keep up. I fully plan on saving exclusively with this beauty for the next few months at least.

1) JAHE
2) Shaunasleep
3) ajkel64.
5) macintosh_br
6) ratso
7) Chard52142
8) luv2shave
9) wes1953
10) santamariasteve
11) Clouds
12) G'Ville Ute
13) texchappy
14) BSawhill
15) Ted A
16) prajnagatu
17) Trollky
17) Airmech
18) GlazedBoker
19) Chan Eil Whiskers
20) ewk

04/01/22

Preshave: KCG beard and face wash in the shower
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 Contributors brush 26mm Shavemac two band silvertip in cobalt
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Razor: Gillette Fatboy settings 9, 7, & 3
Blade: Vintage Gillette ‘Spoiler’ (5)
Splash: Fine Green Vetiver spiked with Menthol
Balm: Nivea Sensitive
Frag: Guerlain Homme EdP
Rating: DFS+ 9.7 No blood

Nice shave from the Fatboy/Spoiler combo. Continuing with three of four from March. Same Post shave. I’ll use the Fatboy till the fifteenth then my other vintage razors take the stage.

What a disappointment! I'm putting it down to either the newly acquired TOBS badger brush (only it's 4th or 5th use) or the Silver Blue Blade. I though this would be a no brainer amazing shave but I had redness and irritation during and after the shaves, though I was very close. 6.5/10. I'm going to use this commitment to figure out how to make the Progress and/or the Variant a daily driver. I've shaved on this setting daily before without this issue so confident it must be either the blade or the brush. I did face lather this time, perhaps I should stick to bowl lathering with the brush while I'm breaking it in. I know you should only change one thing at a time but to heck with it, I think I'll try a synthetic (you might spot a Peregrino loitering in the background) and either a Nacet or a Voskhod next shave. I may also try dialling up the Progress and only doing a two pass shave as upping the efficiency and cutting out the ATG pass has worked well for me with my Rockwell and Karve.

Prep: Just a hot shower
Razor: Progress on about 1.5 (Mine zeroes at the 5 behind the + so it would be the equivalent of 2.5 on a razor that zeroes at 1)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Taylor of Old Bond Street 'Super Badger' (only just got this, I like it but the tips are just a touch prickly!)
Post: Nivea Sensitive (don't panic I have another bottle!)
Splash: Old Spice

PXL_20220401_202610861.PORTRAIT.jpg

Top Bottom