What's new

Acquisitions 29th March - 4th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting observation actually. I know that from one angle it looks like there might be however I'm pretty sure it's actually a single ring.

Yes, you may be right. It might be a trick of the light. I know very little about these older Gillettes, so I defer to your experience. One question I have: are double-rings more valuable than single-rings? To me, the single-rings look slightly nicer, less fussy in their design. But then, I am not much of a collector. I gather that the single-rings are later and more plentiful, which I assume would make them less valuable.

The one I was thinking of is the second from the top, in the left column.
Let us know, once you get it!

Yes, you may be right. It might be a trick of the light. I know very little about these older Gillettes, so I defer to your experience. One question I have: are double-rings more valuable than single-rings? To me, the single-rings look slightly nicer, less fussy in their design. But then, I am not much of a collector. I gather that the single-rings are later and more plentiful, which I assume would make them less valuable.

The one I was thinking of is the second from the top, in the left column.
Let us know, once you get it!

That's pretty spot on. The double ring is also the first DE ever made by Gillette and the first DE made by anyone which adds a certain desireability to it. The single ring is certainly a fine razor and I love my 1909 one. It's a great shaver. As for cost, you can get a nice single ring for $20-$50. The cheapest double ring I've seen was a gent on here selling one so he could donate the proceeds to charity. He asked $125 and it got snapped up real fast. I've heard stories of good early examples with the original box also in good condition fetching $300. I missed a good condition one on eBay in early January with a poor condition case that sold for $240 from memory.

You'll hear me shouting all the way from Australia if there are two double rings in the lot.

HI. I just won this Gem. The description says 1957, but I don't know how they got that info. Is this a micromatic or a G bar?

ok how do I upload a photo here?
proxy.php

Micromatic Clog-Pruf

I had one and it tried to tear my face off, but some people love them.

If you want a G-Bar, shoot me a PM. I have a shaver grade I would be happy to pass on for the price of shipping.

Wow....

As soon as I tell myself that I am no longer going to buy razors this pops up on the bay and I miss it. Well at least it went to some one that loves razors as much as I do, or more if that is possible. Well done on the score.

If, however, you seem to find yourself with double or triples of the Toggle, just shoot me a PM. Id be happy to buy one :001_cool:

Two lots off the bay last night.

A New Bostonian

proxy.php

proxy.php

And a lot of three. I was after the Schick with the tennis grip handle, and managed to get a short black handled adjustable and a Schick Krona DE as well.

proxy.php

Well last night my parents dropped off some shave gear from my grandpa. Some great stuff!

A black slim adjustable (unfortunately I don't think its salvageable, which sucks, but its a great piece to have)

An Old Spice mug

A Realmont German shave brush (which I plan on restoring)

All in all, a great score and a great way to remember a great man!

A New Bostonian

proxy.php

proxy.php

And a lot of three. I was after the Schick with the tennis grip handle, and managed to get a short black handled adjustable and a Schick Krona DE as well.

proxy.php

I am just amazed at the shear quantity of razors that you buy! I seriously log on to check the acquisition's thread just to see what you bought :lol: I am always jealous of your buys! Great Score!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

A New Bostonian

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't think that's a Bostonian John, it looks like a Gillette NEW

Watching some of the auctions it looks like I might have been able to do a bit better if I were willing to get a Milford instead....

We all live in learn. In my eyes you may have paid a little too much but then again if a razor brings you pure joy, can you really put a price on that? I spent $25 on a un-notched Milord, I feel I paid too much but I wanted it and I am happy with the purchase :001_smile

I don't think you paid to much for a razor in that condition. I wouldn't have wanted to pay too much more but I think that under $40 is a good buy.

I'm pretty sure it's a New Bostonian.

proxy.php

I am just amazed at the shear quantity of razors that you buy! I seriously log on to check the acquisition's thread just to see what you bought :lol: I am always jealous of your buys! Great Score!

It's starting to slow down a little now but I keep looking for interesting razors that I don't have.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm pretty sure it's a New Bostonian.

It's starting to slow down a little now but I keep looking for interesting razors that I don't have.

Mmm, right, sorry, my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom