What's new

Acid etching Inquiry

Does anyone know where I can get some acid etching done?
I am collecting individual razors for a 7-day set and
would like the spines etched with the days of the week.

I wish I knew of someone that could do the job!
If we're a larger surface needing etching I would suggest watching ferric chloride metal etching videos on YouTube, because it's pretty easy to do, but the small area of a razor spline would be a nightmare to do right without a pro.
Below is the first and only thing I've etched with ferric chloride. Took less than a minute to get this light etch that you can't even feel when rubbed.
. 20210518_130314.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I discussed acid etching with my engraver when putting together my five matching seven-day sets. He said that he could do it but recommend against it. In his opinion, acid etching would not last as long due to wear when compared to engraving that goes deeper into the steel.

My engager said that there is little difference in cost between acid etching and engraving when doing one-offs as they both take about the same amount of time.

I had all my M7DS spines engraved, some mechanically and the more intricate ones engraved by hand. Just make sure that you get a well trained and experienced engraver.

My engraver is located in Cebu, Philippines. He does work for clients worldwide. From memory, my SR spine engraving cost about USD 10 per spine.

Last edited:
Acid etching or electro etching can be done easily at home, however the hard part is actually getting the tiny letters neatly outlined in protective coating. The metal where you want the etching has to be bare, and all the surrounding metal has to be protected against the acid or electro etching. I have etched knives at home using both methods, but it was for larger fonts where absolute precision isn't required. The basic method is to use a thick paint or nail polish to paint around the area so the bare metal can react to the acid.
My suggestion is to seek out a laser engraver, such as a trophy shop.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wish I knew of someone that could do the job!
If we're a larger surface needing etching I would suggest watching ferric chloride metal etching videos on YouTube, because it's pretty easy to do, but the small area of a razor spline would be a nightmare to do right without a pro.
Below is the first and only thing I've etched with ferric chloride. Took less than a minute to get this light etch that you can't even feel when rubbed.
.View attachment 1303994
Very nice job!

Top Bottom