What's new

Feathers won’t kill you, they can be great

Today I finally got around to trying a Feather in a razor they were really designed for, an etched cap post war tech.
IMG_3311.jpeg

It’s not like this isn’t well known. Everyone knows feathers are sharp and sharp blades can be much in aggressive razors.

I‘ve had some Feathers sitting around for about a decade. Being younger, having a lack of technique and trying them in razors that may be much (even a slightly more aggressive triangle slot pre-war tech) led to weepers.

After trying this combination I can say this is definitely worthwhile for anyone to try. I approached it like any new combination with just being a bit slower and more attentive. The end result was BBS, smooth, and requiring minimal touch up with no irritation or weepers. This is a top tier Goldilocks combination and any preconceived notions about feathers or etched cap techs should be thrown out the window.

Feathers in my Henson Ti medium razor are a perfect match. Effortless shaves, and I don’t need to alter my technique or be ultra careful. Never a nick, and I typically get a dozen to 15 shaves before I bother to change the blade. Last shave is as good as the first. I have a Scottish beard.

I recently tried using Feather blades in both my ball Tech and fat Tech/pre-war razor heads and had wonderful shaves. I think the key is pairing those heads with a handle that works for you. I like the Rocnel SE-P handle (older version) with the ball Tech head and the Maggard Razors MR7 handle with the pre-war head. My next shave will be the Feather AS-D2 head with the MR7 handle and a Feather blade to see if the handle improves the shave. (The MR7 is longer, heavier and has deeper knurling than the AS-D2 handle). It is nice to find a way to use up my stock pile of Feather DE blades. I am surprised it took so many years before I tried the Feather blades with my Tech razor heads.

I was a bit nervous of Feathers too, but took the plunge after getting a sampler pack and making my way through different brands. I had an amazing shave with my first use of a Feather, and found that they're not scary at all. I took a little extra care, but honestly, they're simply an extremely efficient blade. I didn't experience any of the roughness some report on first use, and when I came to change the blade, then next new Feather was also very smooth.

They pair extremely well with my Rockwell T2 and 6C; but I also found they have a natural pairing with my vintage Gillettes too. The one razor they felt a little too powerful in was my Ambassador.

I love 'em. They're in my top 3 along with Astra SPs and Perma-Sharps. I bought 50 just the other week, and look forward to using them. I've had about 8 shaves out of each blade, and while I haven't tried them in my milder razors yet (I have a Henson AL13+ and a Tile), I intend giving it a shot soon.

So nothing to be afraid of. Great blades, worth a try.

I've used Feathers since begginng to use DE razors. I've used them in aggressive to very mild razors and never cut or irritated my skin. They are great blades but for me they are only good for 2-3 shaves. I gifted a friend (who never used a DE razor) an adjustable razor and a pack of Feather blades, he loves them and can get more than 5 shaves from each blade. I sent a pack of Feathers to another buddy who uses an adjustable razor set on high and uses daily, he has bought more and gets 6-7 days out of one blade.

Top Bottom