What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

Used this soap a couple of years ago soon after it was launched, the rectangular shape was certainly unusual so I ended using it like a shave stick, and it gave serviceable shave with a pleasant scent. I also bought the bath soap of the same scent which was very good also.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm still loving the Mogno after 2 uninterrupted weeks of shaving. This one is a keeper for sure.

Incidentally, for those other Ach Brito fans out there, here is a video (in English) I found on the company's history, products etc.

Ach. Brito is pure quality at its very best. :thumbup1:

Thank you kindly for posting this striking, beautiful and instructive video, Sir. My hat is off. :euro:

Just had my second Shave with it. Used it as a stick, really good to apply and little brush quickly whipped up a great Lather on the face, with plenty retained in the Brush. A very smote and comfortable Shave, with a good close finish. Skin left feeling soft and refreshed - will be using this on a regular basis.

IMG_1176.jpg

Why, oh why I have to read all these threads. Now I am already browsing all kinds of available products of Ach Brito. And I thought I do not need any more stuff. I was clearly wrong.

The shipping kills you....very expensive!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Where are you located? My shipping cost in upstate NY was only $3.00, and it came all the way from Florida. I bought it from The Men's Room Barbershop website, which is a Badger and Blade supporting vendor. The soap itself was $5.95.

Sir, you are correct: I'm a huge fan of La Toja. Actually, La Toja and Mogno are my top 2 budget soaps and both perform at the highest level, on a par with the finest and more expensive triple milled soaps.

La Toja, in order to produce its very best and effective lather, needs to be loaded heavily. Try "super face lathering" it by both rubbing the stick onto your wet face and, in addition to that, pre-load your damp brush, too. Then, apply the pre-loaded brush to face and combine the two. This "super face lathering" works like a charm for me. Please, give it a try and let me know.

Also, if you love Mogno, most probably you'll love Musgo Real Classic as well! :yesnod:

Marco - I ordered a La Toja stick and received it yesterday. I used your "super face lathering" suggestion and it did, indeed, produce a rich, thick, slick lather. Thanks you, sir!

I like Mogno enough that think I'm going to 3017 it (shave with it exclusively until gone). I want to see how if holds up to my initial impressions, to see whether I can dial it in even better, and to see how long it lasts. Currently it has been pressed into a shave stick and has a net weight of 120g). I'll try to remember to check back in a month or two to report subsequent impressions.

Well it has now been exactly one month since I started 3017'ing a bar of Mogno, which I'm using as a shave stick. It's officially my favorite soap. Apart from being a joy to use, this stuff lasts forever!

It's in a shave stick tube, and had a net weight of 120g when I started. After 4 weeks of Mogno shaves, it's current weight is 109g. That was a bit shocking, since I feel like I've been loading it fairly heavy. Like I said earlier though, it is a very hard soap, about half-way between Arko and MWF. In testing, it was 18mm on the dovometer (a tool that measures soap hardness), compared to Arko at 10mm.

The bar itself started at 90g, and the tube weighs 30g (net weight 120g). So the reduction in weight is 11g/90g or 12%. Evaluating it by height, it started at about ~70mm tall, and now it's ~60mm tall, which would be a reduction of around 14%. Height is a less reliable measurement though, since I stuffed a rectangular bar into a round tube, and there was lots of airspace/voids.

All of the is to say that this stuff might be around for a while. I'm guessing it will last at least another 6 months. That's not a bad value for $6.00. I'm using .4g per shave, so that's around $.026/shave.

first outing today with the new Mogno.
It was excellent.
Nice scent, slightly fruity but cologne also; reminded me of something between LaToja and Arlington.
As mentioned, a 'hard' soap, which face lathered easily.
Generated stable, rich lather with nice glide, good post-shave residue.

perhaps i missed somewhere earlier in the thread...
What/Who/Where is "Mogno"??

ach brito mogno omega hanckels agua lavanda puig november 19 2020.jpg

I ordered a bar which is still making its way from Spain to Indiana, USA, but looking forward to giving it a try. I'm just wondering how I'll use it, since it won't fit into a standard soap bowl/dish. I know some are using it as a giant shave stick, but I'm not in a stick phase at the moment, and I already have too many that are not getting attention.

I can, and probably will, just cut it into a more manageable shape. But that kinda feels wrong, for some reason. Is anyone using a rectangular container for it to load a brush? I suppose some sort of tupperware container will work fine, but I'd love suggestions for an inexpensive ceramic soap holder. (My shaving parlor is in my basement, so anything to up the "class" component helps me psychologically.)

I ordered a bar which is still making its way from Spain to Indiana, USA, but looking forward to giving it a try. I'm just wondering how I'll use it, since it won't fit into a standard soap bowl/dish. I know some are using it as a giant shave stick, but I'm not in a stick phase at the moment, and I already have too many that are not getting attention.

I can, and probably will, just cut it into a more manageable shape. But that kinda feels wrong, for some reason. Is anyone using a rectangular container for it to load a brush? I suppose some sort of tupperware container will work fine, but I'd love suggestions for an inexpensive ceramic soap holder. (My shaving parlor is in my basement, so anything to up the "class" component helps me psychologically.)

Congrats on your order of the Mogno!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Couple options if you don't want to use as a stick.
First, simplest, just hold bar on palm of hand and load wet brush with other hand.
The soap is hard and loads well.
Another option, look for just about any plastic rectangular bath soap container and load from that.
Wait! Another idea! Line the cardboard box that it comes packaged in, with some sort of water-resistant tape.
Or with FlexSeal! And cut the box so that a lid will flip up! May not be so "classy", but easy!
Have Fun!!

Top Bottom