What's new

AC Razors you prefer to the Vector?

I'm about to buy a Vector in SS but, before I do, are there AC razors that you preferred to the Vector? If so, why? One thing is, I don't want any MORE efficiency than the Vector, so asking this is key because there are AC razors more efficient than the Vector. Also, must be ones currently made that I can buy ... thanks

I found the Vector a bit harsh and bitey, and not efficient enough to justify it. I wanted the Vector to be the best AC razor because the head design is so clever, but it wasn’t one of the better ones for me.

I like the Alpha Claymore Evolution much more, plus the handle is really grippy and you can get the polished version for a lot less money than the Vector. For me the Claymore has a really nice feel and glide, is very well balanced and controlled with the handle, it is efficient enough but mild feeling, and the head is quite slim and nimble.

The Atelier Durdan La Faulx is superb - perhaps the best razor I have of any format, and it really shows the potential of the AC format. The La Faulx can be very expensive depending on metal and finish options, but the basic steel with machined finish is not much more than €200 and is comparably priced with the Vector - but a completely different level for shaving. The La Faulx feels very mild but is still more efficient than the Vector for me - it’s a foolproof, perfect shave every time. I have the ‘classique’ standard base plate, which is ideal for me, but you can opt for a ‘+’ or ‘++’ plate if you want a more efficient razor with a wider range of effective angles (i.e. would be more efficient if your technique isn’t as good). I understand the higher plates are also smooth. Downside of the La Faulx is a three month waiting list, but there is one retailer in France who sells them and has stock of the steel, satin finish, classique plate version (rasage-classique.com). This is a good choice but the satin finish is a bit more expensive than the basic machined, so it’s €275 or something. But this way you can get one immediately.

I am sure the Wolfman WR4 would be as good as the La Faulx but I don’t have one yet and I can’t personally confirm. But all the reviews are as you would expect for a Wolfman and it sounds like the shave is exactly like the La Faulx. Wolfman has a waiting list too - about three months - but you can spec all the options you want. Note their prices are in Canadian dollars, so they aren’t quite as expensive as they appear.

The Stando Polska ‘Single Edge’ is a very good AC razor too. Mild-medium feel and efficient enough. Shaves better than the Vector for me and is very good value. The finish is a basic bead-blasted matte and it’s pleasant.

Those are the ones I would recommend over the Vector. Two are cheaper, two are probably the very best AC razors you can get. All shave for me at least as efficiently as the Vector, and are a lot more comfortable for my skin.

I happen to love my SS Vector. I use Schick Proline blades and with the Vector I find the razor to be an autopilot shaver. Another razor that's maybe a knock-off of the Vector is the YAQI Romulus/Remus twins. Great shaver and maybe a little bit milder than the Vector. It's certainly more wallet friendly versus the Vector.

The Claymore Evo should definitely be looked into. It's a bit heavy, if that matters to you. I think the weight contributes to making this razor work so well.

RazoRock Hawk V3 is another budget friendly AC you might want to look into. I had one for a few shaves, but moved it on before actually getting a good feel for it.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Vector was way too aggressive for me, so I returned it. I have now only two left, the Durdan La Faulx and a Yaqi Romulus, both are fine with my skin. Had a few more, but they were all too aggressive, like the Asylum, the Ti Shield and the Hawk2.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Claymore Evolution was the first razor I purchased when I started wet shaving on Feb 18th of 2022. It was my only razor for 5+ months.

Later I added the ATT X1 AC Slant but it is currently unavailable. Blanckland Razors is resurrected the brand sometime in the first quarter of 2024 and hopefully this will be one of the models Shane and his crew choose to re-introduce. It gives me a very comfortable 12 hour shave.

The last AC razor I purchased is the aforementioned La Faulx. I just used it yesterday. It might just be the best razor I’ve ever used. For me, that’s a bold statement but it continues to confirm that opinion every time I use it.

I am going to put myself on the Wolfman waiting list at the beginning of January for the WR4, as I have a Wolfman bronze Darwin handle and stand waiting for it.

I avoided the Vector only because the people who love it appear to require a more efficient razor than I do. It is a brilliant design.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I happen to love my SS Vector. I use Schick Proline blades and with the Vector I find the razor to be an autopilot shaver. Another razor that's maybe a knock-off of the Vector is the YAQI Romulus/Remus twins. Great shaver and maybe a little bit milder than the Vector. It's certainly more wallet friendly versus the Vector.

The Claymore Evo should definitely be looked into. It's a bit heavy, if that matters to you. I think the weight contributes to making this razor work so well.

RazoRock Hawk V3 is another budget friendly AC you might want to look into. I had one for a few shaves, but moved it on before actually getting a good feel for it.
Frank, I did switch out the OEM handle on the Claymore Evo to a Timeless Ti Crown handle pretty early on. That did tilt the balance toward the razor head, which I personally prefer and the lighter weight didn't seem to affect the shaves it provides negatively. But as always, YMMV.

@Greg788 As I was reading through this thread I noticed B&B highlighting your earlier thread on favorite AC razors, including injectors. So responding in part to that one as well. Early in my wet shaving journey I shaved almost exclusively with the Hawk V2 running Schick Prolines. Since that time I have owned and shaved with the Hawk V3 (OC and Standard plates), Vector SS, and now the Atelier DURDAN La Faulx. I also own and have shaved with much of the vintage injector offerings along with some of the modern and vintage GEM razors.

I always recommend the Vector for consideration by anyone investigating AC options as it offers a number of positives already highlighted by others. However, and I am just one data point, I would echo the comments in this thread regarding AD La Faulx. It is easily one of my top razors across all formats and offers an excellent shaving experience that I found superior to the Vector. I would also suggest that La Faulx is more closely aligned with your stated desires in the other thread for a smoother alternative to the Hawk V2.

While I ultimately moved on the Hawk V3 and Vector SS, I have kept the Hawk V2 for sentimental reasons. I may have to dust it off and conduct a shave comparison between it and the La Faulx.

The Wolfman WR4 is my current favorite razor for it's combination of smoothness and efficiency. It's also a real beaut in bronze. I shave daily. It also has the advantage of chosing a lesser blade gap for even milder shaves.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Wolfman WR4 is my current favorite razor for it's combination of smoothness and efficiency. It's also a real beaut in bronze. I shave daily. It also has the advantage of chosing a lesser blade gap for even milder shaves.

I'm looking forward to getting mine in April sometime, if I get the timing right. At the moment, I still plan to get the standard .50 gap, but I'll chat with Tara and James, through her, most likely, to determine if that is the equivalent of the WR2 0.95 I have and love.

I'm about to buy a Vector in SS but, before I do, are there AC razors that you preferred to the Vector? If so, why? One thing is, I don't want any MORE efficiency than the Vector, so asking this is key because there are AC razors more efficient than the Vector. Also, must be ones currently made that I can buy ... thanks

Another vote for the Atelier Durdan La Faulx. The Vector is over engineered and too small and light even in SS. And possibly too much for some people. Personally I wouldn't want a razor that limits my blade choice.

Wolfman is an excellent razor but not better than the AD. And a three month wait.

There are several single edge AC razors that I currently enjoy using more than my Vector Ti. I had originally purchased the Vector in both Ti and polished stainless-steel versions but had to return the SS version because the top cap was too warped to accept the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades (Shick Proline and Feather Professional worked just fine). Blackland customer service was excellent to work with. They suggested that I bend the top cap slightly to see if that would improve the alignment, but I wasn't ready to handle something like that. It's possible that polishing the top cap led to slight warping, which just wasn't the case with much stiffer titanium.

IMG_0030.JPG

As for other SE razors, I would recommend:

Atelier Durdan La Faulx is the best and most comfortable razor (SE or DE) that I have ever tried. I own the machined stainless-steel version with classic (classique) base, and I am planning to also order a machined titanium + base. Very impressive and highly recommended.

Razorock Hawk v3 with either standard or A base plate is an outstanding SE razor irrespective of the price. Very comfortable to use, very tight tolerances, beautifully crafted and an excellent choice of handles. I have the standard base razor with Razorock barber pole handle and A base plate razor with Razorock Titanium HALO 100 mm handle.

Claymore Evolution SE Polished is also easer on my skin than Vector Ti although not as nice as La Faulx or Hawk v3. If I were ordering the Claymore Evolution today, I would get just the stainless-steel matte head and no handle. Claymore Evolution is beautifully machined although the blade has more wiggle room than in any of my other SE razors. It's just a very different clamping mechanism compared to La Faulx, Hawk v3, or Vector.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Ti Vector SB remains my personal #1 razor of any format. I do not find it to be harsh at all.

The only way to find out if a razor works for you is to try it for several shaves with a variety of blades.

Then you will know.

Have always wondered about the vector. I own three ac razors and a shavette, and in all the razors my favorite one is the asylum Rx which gives me the same feel as the shavette but to me is more comfortable as I am more familiar with the format.

However for the past few months I have been using the shavette almost exclusively and together with the guarded blades I have been having excellent shaves. I wanted to try the vector, but I may just go ahead and order the feather DX from Amazon that is right now at 133 USD on the Kamisori style, or wait a bit more and splurge on whatever tedalus has planned to release this year since I believe the essence razor is sold out at the moment.

Have always wondered about the vector. I own three ac razors and a shavette, and in all the razors my favorite one is the asylum Rx which gives me the same feel as the shavette but to me is more comfortable as I am more familiar with the format.

However for the past few months I have been using the shavette almost exclusively and together with the guarded blades I have been having excellent shaves. I wanted to try the vector, but I may just go ahead and order the feather DX from Amazon that is right now at 133 USD on the Kamisori style, or wait a bit more and splurge on whatever tedalus has planned to release this year since I believe the essence razor is sold out at the moment.
You should try this ... trust me, it's a trip ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Vector is an engineering and design marvel but for the shave itself, I actually prefer the aluminum General and the Enoch.

Top Bottom